Why Do People Use GPA's? (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
In the course I am thinking about doing overseas possibly it says "Applicants must have a Bachelor of Music degree with a minimum CGPA of 3.00 (on a 4-point scale)"

Where HD = 4, D = 3, C = 2, P = 1

Why is a GPA an internationally accurate representation of how I go at uni? I have a few 84's, which become the same as getting a 75. Isn't that a little stupid?

pottsy44

HSC
On this system, it makes a fail not as bad.

With most other uni's GPA systems where it goes F=0 then a big jump to P=4 !!!

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
It is such a horrible measure imo...especially when you get a very high mark for that range....I hate it:(

X

xeuyrawp

ur_inner_child said:
I have a few 84's, which become the same as getting a 75. Isn't that a little stupid?
Imo, it historically comes from the way people mark... It's easier to band an essay than to mark it fully - although the latter and then the former (theoretically ;)) is done now.

I personally think it's stupid now as well. Students should aim for a mark that's realistic to them, not a band which may be far too high or too low.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
To add to pwar's point, i think traditionally it was because each 'band' HD, D, CR, P et al, represented a level of achievement in that course.

Even if you scored an 84, it would mean you did not fulfil one of the lecturer/tutor's requirements for the highest band in the subject. And so the number itself (grade) becomes arbitrary.

Purely speculation though.

X

xeuyrawp

Bobness said:
To add to pwar's point, i think traditionally it was because each 'band' HD, D, CR, P et al, represented a level of achievement in that course.

Even if you scored an 84, it would mean you did not fulfil one of the lecturer/tutor's requirements for the highest band in the subject. And so the number itself (grade) becomes arbitrary.

Purely speculation though.
Giving an exact mark for students started in something like 1800 - before then, everything was either pass/fail or given a very general band and or rank.

I personally try to avoid giving students marks - they either do what they're supposed to or they don't. Giving criticism and praise on specific issues (and indeed prioritising them) seems to work better than giving a general mark.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I have to get all HD's this semester (very possible considering what I left to do last in my degree) to get a GPA of 3.0 to get into this course overseas.

All this is because my MANY 84's don't contribute highly enough. If you looked at the raw marks, you'd say I was such a nerd.

and yet, a CGPA of AT LEAST 3.0, jesus, I only barely meet the requirements. So what if I did poorly in my first year? Is that really relevant?

Why hasn't the world changed this seemingly old fashioned way of marking?

Last edited:

doink

Clone
HSC
I know most USYD faculties use WAM now instead of GPA since it is more fair, I think that might be the new medium in about 15-20 years when the rest of the unis follow suit. However judging by the fact that they are still to adopt the metric system i think USA will be using GPA forever.

ippie

HSC
doink said:
I know most USYD faculties use WAM now instead of GPA since it is more fair, I think that might be the new medium in about 15-20 years when the rest of the unis follow suit. However judging by the fact that they are still to adopt the metric system i think USA will be using GPA forever.
Yeah I heard about UNSW and WAM, I like it. It's simply more logicial than GPA.

What I really don't get about GPA is D = HD. then WHY should I bother getting HDs when Ds are the same as HDs? Well, yes there's also your transcript, but you know what I mean.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
MQ is looking to change it, but like with all institutions, it just takes a while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)