Why should I do nursing? (1 Viewer)

ashllis92

HSC
Hi, I'm not really sure what i want to do next year if I don't get into med. I was thinking nursing and it looked pretty good at the open day but I'd love for a current nursing student to just tell me what it's like without a scary professor looking over their shoulder. What are some of the pro's and con's? How hard is it? etc.
Thanks heaps :)

ashllis92

HSC
Lol, I guess I just like the hands on aspect of it and the way it's really helping people etc... Are you a nursing student?

Ayatollah

HSC
N/A
the novelty of 'helping people' will wear of pretty quickly, I did work experience at a hospital, and you will mainly be checking on sick old people. The pay isnt great, and all the jobs at the hospital looked rather stressful. The only 'pro' I can think of is job security, but even that tells you something...i.e, there's not much competition for a reason.
go do work experience or something to see if you like it.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
What do RNs do?

Was thinking of enrolling. Have talked to RNs. Mum is an RN. She says its crap. Do paramedic instead she says.

???

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Paramedic is much more stressful, competitive, worse rosters etc.

RN is not bad, you just have to be able to take crap for a bit until you can move up the ranks.

Don't worry about 'professors looking over your shoulders' most are very nice and are there to teach you not reprimand you. Nursing is not hard if you apply yourself.

ashllis92

HSC
Thanks, by the comment about the professors I just meant that at an open day, designed to get enrolments, people are more likely to gloss over the negative aspects and focus on the positive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)