Why the delay? (1 Viewer)

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
If preferences closed last night, why does the UAC hold off the offers until the 19th? Surely it doesn't take that long to calculate who got into what.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Why should the offers be made immediately? It isnt as though the Uni year starts in February.

Someone else should have a proper response, but I'm sure that it is because the process goes beyond UAC itself and also involves the universities.

S

Shuter

Generator said:
Why should the offers be made immediately? It isnt as though the Uni year starts in February.

Someone else should have a proper response, but I'm sure that it is because the process goes beyond UAC itself and also involves the universities.
But I want it now so I can figure out my future i.e. moving.

I also wouldn't have thought it would be a hard process. A computer should be able to do it within an hour, just have programmed in all the courses and number availible, then run through everyone's preferances, filling them from 100->30.

Unless unis look at releasing more spots or something if one of their courses is popular?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
UAC isn't some massive information centre with total dominion over the application process - UAC is an intermediary that makes the application and offers process as fast and efficient as possible.

UAC holds your credentials - your marks, your UAI, and your preferences. These data are passed to the universities you have applied to, who consider you for all courses you apply for. Once all applications have been considered by the faculty, the university decides who it will make an offer to (ie who qualifies) and sends this information to UAC for all courses. UAC then compares the courses for which an applicant qualifies with their preference list and finds the highest offer on the list. All courses below are no longer considered, as they are lower preferences - UAC notifies the universities that the application for that course is withdrawn (due to higher course offer) and the process is repeated until all places are filled.

Considering the intricacy of the system, it is comic that you would want everything to happen overnight.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
well they have to organise more stuff such as broadway schemes and flexible entry as well and i dont think the unis have actually released their intakes yet either. there are some courses which invlove more than just uais such as medicine and music

im just all anxious to see whether ill get into my residential college. i shud get advanced science but if i dont it aint the end of the world cause i shud get med sci.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Shuter said:
But I want it now so I can figure out my future i.e. moving.

I also wouldn't have thought it would be a hard process. A computer should be able to do it within an hour, just have programmed in all the courses and number availible, then run through everyone's preferances, filling them from 100->30.

Unless unis look at releasing more spots or something if one of their courses is popular?
Haha! You're not the only one in this situation. I have to wait two weeks to find out whether I'm living in Newcastle, Perth, or staying here. Not to mention my botched enrolment at UTS, which I only have to worry about if I don't get into medicine - a very tentative situation.

Stop complaining.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
It isnt as though the Uni year starts in February.
From memory, O-Week at UOW starts on the 14th of February, lectures on the 21st.

(ps; all 9 of my preferences are for Wollongong :p)

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Depends on the university.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)