Why Wasnt French Scaled Better (1 Viewer)

MarsBarz

HSC
I was expecting 97+ and i just got 90 for French continuers. WTFWTFWTF.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stomping Ground

Complicated name, no gain
HSC
MarsBarz said:
I was expecting 97+ and i just got 90 for French continuers. WTFWTFWTF. A big fuck you bos you assholes.
Mabye its the average? I dunno, but i know I'd be FUCKING STOKED with 90. Think about that!

kaitoufion

HSC
Some subjects don't have a high scale because the course is either not very relevant to most Uni degrees/courses, or that the knowledge is not compulsory in University.

For example, Maths subjects (apart from General Maths) would always have a high scale because it is relevant and will be very useful to most of the courses (eg. Science, Commerce) when you get into Uni.

Therefore French wouldn't have a very high scale because it is only relevant to B Arts.

reprise

The marks are moderated relative to the exam results in that particular subject. If you were expecting 97 and got 90, either your school was soft on assessments or your school didn't perform as well on the French exam as was expected. You ALWAYS keep your own actual exam result.

Last edited:

reprise

kaitoufion said:
Some subjects don't have a high scale because the course is either not very relevant to most Uni degrees/courses, or that the knowledge is not compulsory in University.

For example, Maths subjects (apart from General Maths) would always have a high scale because it is relevant and will be very useful to most of the courses (eg. Science, Commerce) when you get into Uni.

Therefore French wouldn't have a very high scale because it is only relevant to B Arts.
Scaling will affect the UAIs, but it doesn't affect the marks people received today.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
MarsBarz said:
I was expecting 97+ and i just got 90 for French continuers. WTFWTFWTF.
It is interesting that you blame some aspect of the system rather than your own expectations.

Your expectation was clearly inappropriate.

reprise

melsc said:
Well I got 74% which sucks...its my lowest mark and out of place :( i hope it doesnt pull down my uai too much...the paper just sucked LOL
Remember that only your two best units of English and your best 8 other units count towards your UAI. If you had a 12 unit course load, then the marks for one of your courses other than English won't be counted towards your UAI.

helper

HSC
N/A
They have not been scaled yet, only judged. It means someone of your ability has only just reached the Band 6 standard. Nothing to do with a comparison between subjects.

sarahn

HSC
yeah, to be honest, while im happy with my mark (94), i was expecting a little higher, knowing what the japanese students, and previous french students got...

just something to remember: we know nothing about the scaled marks, only aligned ones...if you look at the UAC data, aligning may change from year to year, but the scaled marks tend to stay relatively constant...so i really dont think we have anything to worry about

reprise

You can find the scaling means for the last 3 years here, but they aren't really much use without your raw results - they'll only give you an idea of the extent to which a particular subject has been scaled up or down in recent years.

MarsBarz

HSC
I still don't understand. For trials I got 90/100 raw and my teacher is a HSC marker.
I was pretty confident that I also got at least 85+/100 raw in that exam. How does that just allign to 90/100 HSC mark? I was ranked first in my class and I thought that my class was very strong in the subject. It just doesn't seem right you know. Something fishy must have happened honestly. Maybe it's a clerical error.

reprise

MarsBarz said:
I still don't understand. For trials I got 90/100 raw and my teacher is a HSC marker.
I was pretty confident that I also got at least 85+/100 raw in that exam. How does that just allign to 90/100 HSC mark? I was ranked first in my class and I thought that my class was very strong in the subject. It just doesn't seem right you know. Something fishy must have happened honestly. Maybe it's a clerical error.
Your trials form PART of the assessment mark given to you by your school. Your total assessment mark for the year is forwarded to the BoS by your school. While you assessment ranking will remain the same no matter how your particular school did on the external exams on that subject, your assessment mark will be moderated by the exam results. If you were ranked first for your course, your moderated assessment mark will be the same as the exam mark given to the person who scored best in that course - if your cohort totally tanked on the exams, it can make a huge difference to your moderated assessment marks. It can also make a huge difference if your school (not just your individual teacher, as there's usually more than one class for the same course) marks assessments to a lower standard than the one to which external exams are marked.

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
Yeah i got 89 for French, i think i deserve it cause i didnt put any effort into it all year, but that did help my other subjects
Oh well, im still satisfied with my marks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)