Will I get zero? Not my fault (1 Viewer)

holy123123

HSC
I was doing my final HSC exam today and I was just strolling through it as usual. I had my equipment on my left top corner of the table. Some time in the exam, the person next to me just reached out and grabbed my pencil and eraser (I assume he forgot his..) and the supervisor saw. I think she went up to him and asked "did you just take his pencil?" and I saw her walking around whispering to other supervisors.
Will they give me and him a zero? I didn't even do anything
They didn't make any notes or anything but I assume they might remember and then talk about it when we left?

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
I was doing my final HSC exam today and I was just strolling through it as usual. I had my equipment on my left top corner of the table. Some time in the exam, the person next to me just reached out and grabbed my pencil and eraser (I assume he forgot his..) and the supervisor saw. I think she went up to him and asked "did you just take his pencil?" and I saw her walking around whispering to other supervisors.
Will they give me and him a zero? I didn't even do anything
They didn't make any notes or anything but I assume they might remember and then talk about it when we left?
did you go talk to them after? I doubt they are doing anything because they would've stopped you during or after your exam to speak with you

holy123123

HSC
Do supervisors immediately stop you during exam if we did something? No I didn't talk to them (which might've been stupid)

Flop21

HSC
They would have recorded the incident in their book thing. They record everything, like when any students leave for any reason, and odd occurrences like this I would imagine. I think it's just as backup evidence in case they DO think someone's cheating. I doubt they would have thought he was cheating for taking a pencil.

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
Hey, don't worry! I don't think they would give you a zero, especially as you didn't provoke the person to take your pencil and the supervisor did see that they had taken it, and that you didn't appear to have communicated with the student next to you. Besides, it was only a pencil, not like notes or sharing answers. I don't think they would be so harsh as to deduct marks, the student who took the pencil would probably at the most get a telling off about exam malpractice etc.in the extreme circumstance that they actually gave you a zero though I highly doubt it, I think you would have proper grounds to appeal that.

crowley926

HSC
Do supervisors immediately stop you during exam if we did something? No I didn't talk to them (which might've been stupid)
I think if they are to report you or whatever they inform you after the exam - they won't just report you for malpractice without telling you because the process is for more formal and structured than that

holy123123

HSC
Okay if they were to give me a zero what could I do? Can I appeal to the BOSTES or something?
Thanks for all the reassurance
And he grabbed my eraser too and it had a lot of marks on it (Idk if this will matter but yeah)

Mythos

HSC
nothing would happen to you, don't worry about it, they only care about the other person

holy123123

HSC
Thanks I hope so. Is tehre anyone on BOS forums that are apart of BOSTES?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
First off - they would have spoken to you if they felt there was an issue.

Secondly - IF and it is a HUGE IF - there is going to be any repercussions BEFORE any decision is made you will get a chance to put your case to BOSTES. They don't act without giving you a chance to explain what happened. As there were two people involved then both of you would be asked to explain to BOSTES and if your stories are the same - and the same as the supervisors - you will be fine.

This will all happen before results are finalised by the way. In addition your principal will also be informed and asked for some input as per character etc - has there been any previous example of cheating etc.

From my personal knowledge - a student I know was studying before the exams and went to the bathroom, putting the notes in her blazer pocket. She went straight from there to the exam room, forgetting that she had the notes in her pocket. At no time in the exam room was she seen to be using the notes but as she left the room she took off her blazer and the notes fell out. The supervisors called her back and asked her what the notes were, they took the notes from her and attached various notations etc to their sheets. She was called to BOSTES with her parents and asked to explain what had happened. The believed her but because she had the notes on her person during the exam she was given a penalty for the section of the exam to which the notes related and it wasn't even zero for that section.

Based on that example I am confident you will be fine.

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
Above is correct except principals are not contacted. Such matters are confidential between bos and student.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I have known of at least three of these situations and in each case the principal was contacted - to give character evidence on behalf of the student.

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
I have known of at least three of these situations and in each case the principal was contacted - to give character evidence on behalf of the student.
Perhaps approached directly by the student but never by bostes.

Joannnnnna

HSC
Hi!!! What happened? I’m in a similar situation and freaking out ? !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)