Windows 10 Technical Preview (1 Viewer)

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
New build now: 10162.

They are coming out much faster now. It's getting closer to RTM.

New:

Better reliability
Better Performance
Better Battery Life

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
i want a goddamn start button, can i have that in windows 10?
With win 8.1 pro, I just press the windows button and then start typing to search for stuff.

Usually this works out good, but due to a buggy OS per se, the search function is not completely user friendly.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I'm keeping 8.1 pro on my machine for a bit until all the bugs in 10 are washed away and fixed up. So I'll probably upgrade in about 4 to 6 months rather than straight away.

SammyT123

HSC
I'm keeping 8.1 pro on my machine for a bit until all the bugs in 10 are washed away and fixed up. So I'll probably upgrade in about 4 to 6 months rather than straight away.
Did you get windows 10 when the developers release was leaked a few months ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Did you get windows 10 when the developers release was leaked a few months ago?

No. I reserved my upgrade to Windows 10 (for 8.1 users, it literally pops up on the taskbar telling you that you can reserve the upgrade).

SammyT123

HSC
Re: Windows 10

Aha nvm, I'm a Linux user mainly. Are you liking windows 10 so far?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Re: Windows 10

Aha nvm, I'm a Linux user mainly. Are you liking windows 10 so far?

As I said I have not used it yet lol.

Some others may be able to reply on their experience with it so far.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
If you have already signed up to the insiders program you will get it first on July 29.

Others will have to wait longer.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
All the new internal builds now qualify for release to the fast ring of the insiders program. So you might wonder why microsoft skipped builds 10160 and 10161.

If they released all new builds to insiders that would mean a few hours between builds - clearly not enough time to assess bugs for each build.

So whilst insiders may appreciate more frequent builds, I think I agree with microsoft to not necessarily release all of the new ones even if all of them now qualify for release. At this stage that would be "too" fast - even for the fast ring.

Some insiders didn't even know about build 10159 till build 10162 came out.

Last edited:

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I've installed windows 8.1 to reserve my copy however the "Windows 10 app" icon doesn't appear, how else can I get Windows 10 on release date? Also should I sign up on the Windows Insider program?

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
You should get other updates for windows 8.1 through windows update and after it is updated (in particular, with KB3035583 and KB2976978) the windows 10 icon should appear in the taskbar. If you are still having problems enabling the windows 10 reservation app after this, see this document for further instructions: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...i/848b5cce-958b-49ae-a132-a999a883265b?auth=1. You can then use it to reserve your copy of windows 10.

As I said before, windows insiders will get windows 10 first on July 29 and others will have to wait longer.

So if you want it first, you can join insiders.

But if you are not that desperate to get it, you could just wait a bit longer and not worry about insiders. Anyway the point of insiders is to give feedback to microsoft about a rather large number of builds for windows 10. Problems associated with buggy betas are not for the feint-hearted. It's getting a bit late to join insiders now anyway. You would have missed a lot of builds.

Last edited:

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
You should get other updates for windows 8.1 through windows update and after it is updated (in particular, with KB3035583 and KB2976978) the windows 10 icon should appear in the taskbar. If you are still having problems enabling the windows 10 reservation app after this, see this document for further instructions: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...i/848b5cce-958b-49ae-a132-a999a883265b?auth=1. You can then use it to reserve your copy of windows 10.

As I said before, windows insiders will get windows 10 first on July 29 and others will have to wait longer.

So if you want it first, you can join insiders.

But if you are not that desperate to get it, you could just wait a bit longer and not worry about insiders. Anyway the point of insiders is to give feedback to microsoft about a rather large number of builds for windows 10. Problems associated with buggy betas are not for the feint-hearted. It's getting a bit late to join insiders now anyway. You would have missed a lot of builds.
I tried all solutions, not only from that website, but also from others and the icon hasn't showed yet, is there any other way to get Windows 10 on release date?

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
Not by means supported by microsoft.

At least not yet.

Insiders have been able to do clean installs of some of the builds via iso files released by microsoft. So there might be iso files released on July 29 and then you'd be able to install it that way - provided you qualify - but then you'd have to already be an insider. And clearly you are not.

Of course here I'm just talking about the free upgrade.

Microsoft may at some stage sell windows 10 to those who did not qualify for the free upgrade. But that would be after July 29 and I don't know when exactly. And I bet that won't be free either.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Not by means supported by microsoft.

At least not yet.

Insiders have been able to do clean installs of some of the builds via iso files released by microsoft. So there might be iso files released on July 29 and then you'd be able to install it that way - provided you qualify - but then you'd have to already be an insider. And clearly you are not.

Of course here I'm just talking about the free upgrade.

Microsoft may at some stage sell windows 10 to those who did not qualify for the free upgrade. But that would be after July 29 and I don't know when exactly. And I bet that won't be free either.
I called Microsoft and they said that this "reserve windows 10" is just an act to encourage people to get windows 10, and that on July 29th the windows update will be released for everyone (who has windows 8.1 and windows 7 SP1) and for free. So basically if you can't reserve windows 10 (like my because the icon doesn't appear) you still get it the update for free on release date.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
Build 10176 is being tested as potential RTM candidate, so it is getting very close to RTM now.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
It is not at all clear if 10240 is an RTM version. Some say it is. But it has an expiry date just like all the others, so I doubt if it is RTM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)