Wireless Networking (1 Viewer)

Chickadee

Ameslee
HSC
i am wondering how to set up a wireless network at home consisting of 3 computer and a laptop. I have a wireless speedstream modem, that i use for the internet, and know that you can network through it but am not sure how, does anyone know or has done it? Or where can i find instructions?

Thanks

fatmuscle

HSC
you have wireless INTERNET

now you need wireless LAN

you'll need to get yourself a wireless router/switch to do so

costs between $100 - $250

:D

Linksys WRT54G!!!

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
^

Make sure to:

a) change the default password
b) turn on MAC address filtering
c) turn off SSID broadcast
d) turn on encryption

The instructions for doing this will come with said router.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
You don't need to do "all that"... because I know on some PCs it can slow down the network horrendously if you enable encrytion, and disabling SSID broadcast can also make things difficult (to find the router).

MAC Address filtering is the first thing to enable once everything's hooked up, and then enable Encryption if your PCs are fast enough to handle it. SSID broadcast can be turned off as well, but I usually leave mine on- I mean if someone really wanted to bugger my network they could always use a sniffer, encryption can be broken, and whilst it's possible for him/her to change their MAC address too, I think that requires a lot more effort just to steal my bandwidth.... so not too worried.

Chickadee

Ameslee
HSC
ok, so with my modem i cant use it for networking. It has 4 different lights, wireless, LAN, Ethernet, ADSL. so cant i use it for this? my computers all connect to the same modem via a wireless usb and chip for my laptop. one computer has the modem connected to it and then the others connect through the usb and so on. can something be done over the internet?

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Chickadee said:
ok, so with my modem i cant use it for networking. It has 4 different lights, wireless, LAN, Ethernet, ADSL. so cant i use it for this? my computers all connect to the same modem via a wireless usb and chip for my laptop. one computer has the modem connected to it and then the others connect through the usb and so on. can something be done over the internet?
http://www.portforward.com/

Everything you need to know should be there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)