Word Count? (1 Viewer)

Airsey

HSC
I have a consumer law essay due in a couple of weeks (25%). On the assessment sheet it says the word count should be 1000 words but I've gone over by about 200 words. Actually, not including footnotes the essay is exactly 198 words over...

Is this bad? If I sent it in as it is, do you think I'd get marked down?

The thing is, last year, one of my essays for legal studies was over by about 100 words and I got full marks (I don't know if my teachers didn't count or just didn't care) - but then, that was less than 10% over and was also preliminary...

Oh, and the question is: 'How well does statute and common law protect consumers?'

Any opinions would be really helpful :) - I'm not sure what to do

Thank you!

enoilgam

HSC
This might be a stupid question, but did you put a word count on the assignment - if you didnt, then I doubt the teacher will notice. I know that at uni, you are allowed to go over the word count by 10%. However, with high school it really depends on the teacher, so its hard to say.

Airsey

HSC
Oh, sorry I should have mentioned that. On the LS essay in year 11 I put a (false) word count on it - I think I said the essay was 998 when it was maybe 1080... which is a bit dodgy, I know...

I presume we have to attach a word count - though saying it is 1000 when it is actually 1200 might be a bit of a stretch... while, also, being quite sus :S

Particularly as this is HSC.

enoilgam

HSC
Oh, sorry I should have mentioned that. On the LS essay in year 11 I put a (false) word count on it - I think I said the essay was 998 when it was maybe 1080... which is a bit dodgy, I know...

I presume we have to attach a word count - though saying it is 1000 when it is actually 1200 might be a bit of a stretch... while, also, being quite sus :S

Particularly as this is HSC.
I would ask your teacher about this to be sure.

Airsey

HSC
Hmmm okay - I might try and get it so its only 100 over.

Thanks for your help. I do legal studies by distance so its kind of hard to gauge how strict the teachers are in marking. :)

Airsey

HSC
But I mean, I WILL ask my teacher... is what I meant. :redface:

ttynd8

HSC
N/A
Generally you should stick to the word count as the aim is to enable you to be succinct and efficient with your use of words in a Legal Studies assessment item. You may find that you could be penalised as it is not fair on those who have stuck to the assessment conditions. Next time stick to the word limit and good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)