Would I do well in law? (1 Viewer)

Hatake88

HSC
Hey guys,
I got an early round offer for law at Macquarie a week or so ago. I don't know whether or not to take it though seeing I am currently indifferent about my degree at Usyd (resource economics). I mean, law could be a whole lot worse for all I know since currently I am doing okay grade-wise (credit average- enough to get into the 3 year long honors program). However, at least right now, I really don't care for any of the subjects I do either*. The latter is why I think a change in environment/degree might be beneficial.

That being said, I literally have no clue what I'd be studying in law. I mean, I've gone to the info day and looked at the course structure online but those really didn't help shine any light seeing how little material was actually given. The only other thing I've done that is close to law is legal studies at high school...which according to the guide on the top of the page doesn't resemble anything like actual law. Oh, and I did pretty well in English Extension 1 too though I chose not to do Extension 2 as I aren't too good at writing long abstract stories. I mean, as my ex english teacher said, I am good in writing clearly and concisely but have trouble developing my own writing style and interpreting literary techniques. Would that affect me? Man, am I lost.

Can anyone help me please? The offer I got was for the single bachelor of law degree (http://courses.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/degree/bachelor-of-laws) which is 4 years in length. Unlike in Usyd (or for any other combined law courses I know of), I will have to choose my major pretty much in first year. Again, I am at a lost here with everyone telling me majoring in commercial law is the way to go in terms of $$$ although I am pretty keen on the idea to become a barrister too (too many episodes of "Judge Judy/Pirro" and school excursions to the Downing Center tongue2:). Btw, do I have to major in criminology to become a barrister?

So yeah. Please give me some advice guys.

Thanks!

*For the record, I don't particularly hate any either subjects either...its just all "meh" to me. If I had to rate it, I'd say around a 6/10 in terms of overall interest.

Last edited:

RookieLaw

Audit.
HSC
Hey guys,
I got an early round offer for law at Macquarie a week or so ago. I don't know whether or not to take it though seeing I am currently indifferent about my degree at Usyd (resource economics). I mean, law could be a whole lot worse for all I know since currently I am doing okay grade-wise (credit average- enough to get into the 3 year long honors program). However, at least right now, I really don't care for any of the subjects I do either*. The latter is why I think a change in environment/degree might be beneficial.

That being said, I literally have no clue what I'd be studying in law. I mean, I've gone to the info day and looked at the course structure online but those really didn't help shine any light seeing how little material was actually given. The only other thing I've done that is close to law is legal studies at high school...which according to the guide on the top of the page doesn't resemble anything like actual law. Oh, and I did pretty well in English Extension 1 too though I chose not to do Extension 2 as I aren't too good at writing long abstract stories. I mean, as my ex english teacher said, I am good in writing clearly and concisely but have trouble developing my own writing style and interpreting literary techniques. Would that affect me? Man, am I lost.

Can anyone help me please? The offer I got was for the single bachelor of law degree (http://courses.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/degree/bachelor-of-laws) which is 4 years in length. Unlike in Usyd (or for any other combined law courses I know of), I will have to choose my major pretty much in first year. Again, I am at a lost here with everyone telling me majoring in commercial law is the way to go in terms of $$$ although I am pretty keen on the idea to become a barrister too (too many episodes of "Judge Judy/Pirro" and school excursions to the Downing Center tongue2:). Btw, do I have to major in criminology to become a barrister?

So yeah. Please give me some advice guys.

Thanks!

*For the record, I don't particularly hate any either subjects either...its just all "meh" to me. If I had to rate it, I'd say around a 6/10 in terms of overall interest.
No, you don't have to.

No one can tell you how it'd go, only through experience then you'll know for yourself. Will it be difficult? Hell yes, but maybe you have a gift and will excel in law or vice versa.
There are no real majors in law, you'll do everything from contracts - constitutional law etc. but you can for example do Torts Advanced if you had enjoyed Torts.

If you would like, pm me and I'll email you some sample exam papers and etc. (Macquarie Law, of course).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)