• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page
  • Like us on facebook here

Y11 Engineering Studies, Advice, Anything!!! (1 Viewer)

scholarpuppy

HSC
N/A
Hello!

I was recently transferred to Engineering Studies because my other subject was cancelled. I frankly have no idea about it at all and not many people in my school do it so I am unsure about the information, workload etc.

Does anyone have any advice on it?
Especially those that go to an all-girls school?
(As Engineering Studies has a very small percentage of females that take it and it is usually provided in Y11, opposed to some male schools where they offer it starting from Y9)
Did anyone find it boring/interesting? Which parts I should look forward to? Study Advice? Etc.

Also, I don't enjoy physics + don't take physics, would this ES still be fine for me?

Thanks!
Even if you know a little bit from hearsay it'll be great hearing it! :D

vishnay

HSC
Hello!

I was recently transferred to Engineering Studies because my other subject was cancelled. I frankly have no idea about it at all and not many people in my school do it so I am unsure about the information, workload etc.

Does anyone have any advice on it?
Especially those that go to an all-girls school?
(As Engineering Studies has a very small percentage of females that take it and it is usually provided in Y11, opposed to some male schools where they offer it starting from Y9)
Did anyone find it boring/interesting? Which parts I should look forward to? Study Advice? Etc.

Also, I don't enjoy physics + don't take physics, would this ES still be fine for me?

Thanks!
Even if you know a little bit from hearsay it'll be great hearing it! :D
engineering studies as a hsc subject is much more "physicsy" than physics lol

if u don't enjoy physics its likely u won't enjoy engineering studies

Mikdin11

HSC
You might want to look at some engineering studies HSC past papers to get a good idea about what content it surrounds. That's what I've done and found it pretty useful, and good luck with the course!

ExtremelyBoredUser

HSC
Even those people who enjoy physics don't necessarily enjoy ES, however there is a correlation. You would need a passion towards designing projects and the whole engineering process such as creating reports, the assessment tasks they gave out was like creating a report on washing machines or lawnmowers and the physics behind them etc. I've seen the problems and at times they seem to be more difficult than standard prelim physics counterparts such as dynamics questions. I don't personally do ES but my friends who do have a divided opinion, on one hand they're dying to drop the subject (even though they do physics) and on the other hand they enjoy the subject because you get to design stuff. The subject seems as if it requires a certain extent of dedication and passion towards physics/designing to excel in so if you don't have any interest for the process and don't generally enjoy maths/physics it might be more optimal to transfer into another subject.

Take this with a grain of salt as this is what I've heard and seen from the subject for Year 11. No idea how it is Year 12.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)