year 11 help (textbooks + binders or?) (1 Viewer)

confvsed

HSC
Hey guys,

Just wondering what textbooks/ study materials etc are good for year 11. Also any general tips and how should i keep my notes? typed up or hand written? should i use binders or notebooks? for what subjects?
My subjects are
advanced english
3u english
mathematics
3u maths
legal
eco
physics

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
For textbooks -
Maths - I used Cambridge and Maths in Focus

Physics - I used Jacaranda, Physics in Focus and Excel

Eco - I used Excel and Tim Dixon (although excel isn’t that great imo)

I made all my notes typed except for maths notes which I did in a exercise book. That’s not to say that typing is bad, and I’d go as far as to recommend trying it before resorting to typing as I believe it is better for memory retention. I used 1 binder which had all my subjects in it. My school loves to hand out sheets and I used loose leaf paper so yeah, worked well.

I then had additional binders at home, 1 for each subject to file paper I no longer directly needed.
Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Maths - Buy lots of grid books, Cambridge and do lots of pastpapers (Don't bother with MIF)
Fitzpatrick is also decent
Eco- For HSC buy Dixon, and also get Riley to supplement

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Maths - Buy lots of grid books, Cambridge and do lots of pastpapers (Don't bother with MIF)
Fitzpatrick is also decent
Eco- For HSC buy Dixon, and also get Riley to supplement
Only used MiF because our school supplied it and the test/challenge exercises were homework

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
Textbooks:
For advanced and 3u English you will get your novels depending on what your school/class uses as a prescribed text
For mathematics and 3u maths either use the Fitzpatrick aka New Senior Mathematics book or the Cambridge textbooks, Maths in Focus wont prepare you well
Legal, Economics and physics I have no idea :tongue:

Tips:
Be consistent in your studies
Do a lot of past papers, you can find them everywhere online
In regards to notes, it would be better (with my subjectivity) to hand write them however if you can write then type them up later that's even better
Also after you've had a class, review that same class you went to during the afternoon when you get home it helps to remember it

Between notebooks and binders, I used binders for all my subjects (i.e. chem, bio, adv English, business studies) except for maths of course I used a grid notebook. The only issue I had with the binders though was that the spiral ring binder thingy (idk what its called) got ruined for most of them when I stuffed all my books in my bag, so if you don't plan on being an idiot like me and stuffing every single book in your bag every single day then binder otherwise I highly recommend you use notebooks

However, if your the type of person where every damn person around you asks for a damn paper then I highly recommend you use a binder instead of a notebook as the notebook will fall apart after you rip out too many papers

Sorry for damning but yeah either one is pretty good

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
You could consider using loose leaflets for Mathematics when doing questions and a workbook for notes.

I made sure I just titled everything and stapled off sections to organise my math work in terms of doing questions. When I had to write 'notes' I kept a a4 workbook that was purely reserved for that.

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
For all my subjects I made typed notes.

For Physics (and Chemistry) I also structured my notes around the syllabus dot points.

For Maths I did exercises in a book but I typed out important formulae and concepts in a document.

confvsed

HSC
did you keep the loose leaflets in a binder and bring it to schoool?? how much of it did you bring to school? im not sure about next year but my teacher at the moment checks our homework randomly. i guess i could show them every lesson (which would keep me more on track)

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
did you keep the loose leaflets in a binder and bring it to schoool?? how much of it did you bring to school? im not sure about next year but my teacher at the moment checks our homework randomly. i guess i could show them every lesson (which would keep me more on track)
I always carried the whole stack with me, you could bring a small binder to keep them safer but I find it starts to tear and wear even in the binder so I just take it in the original packaging.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)