YEAR 11 MATH help:( (1 Viewer)

mango73

HSC
How do you achieve good marks in year 11 math?

I know it's a very vague question so I wouldn't mind a vague response. But any help/tips are appreciated:)

So, I want to know if PRACTICE is the only method in conquering math and what can I do additionally to boost myself ahead of my peers to maximize my results.
For info, I go to a school ranked in the 20s - fully selective, and I'm currently doing ext.1 math - I also attend math tutoring for adv & ext. So there's a lot of competition and the stress is really starting to build on me especially for this subject as I feel like I'm falling behind. Understanding the concepts and even the fundamentals are mentally exhausting me. It has only been 3 weeks since Year 11 has started and I feel so demotivated for this subject in particular.

I HAVE ONLY STARTED YEAR 11, AM I STRESSING TOO MUCH OR WHAT???? PLS HELP>

Velocifire

Out of Order
HSC

I know it's a very vague question so I wouldn't mind a vague response. But any help/tips are appreciated:)

So, I want to know if PRACTICE is the only method in conquering math and what can I do additionally to boost myself ahead of my peers to maximize my results.
For info, I go to a school ranked in the 20s - fully selective, and I'm currently doing ext.1 math - I also attend math tutoring for adv & ext. So there's a lot of competition and the stress is really starting to build on me especially for this subject as I feel like I'm falling behind. Understanding the concepts and even the fundamentals are mentally exhausting me. It has only been 3 weeks since Year 11 has started and I feel so demotivated for this subject in particular.

Play dirty for top ranks

YonOra

HSC
Work hard, and study smart (for specifics, see my prev. responses in threads like this).

Like theres not much more you can do than fully apply yourself. You're also going to tutoring. Although it's unnecessary, I think you're set tbh...

Wizjaro

HSC
First breathe. Don’t overwhelm yourself, just try your best and learn from your mistakes. Mistakes are honestly your best friend for maths, as ironic as it sounds mistakes is how I started doing a lot better at maths. After an exam or practice paper I would only focus on what I got wrong and take a moment to understand my mistake so I could make sure I didn’t make them in the next exam or practice paper. Practice is also good but I find it can sometimes overwhelm you cause you feel like you haven’t done enough, but trust me when I say mistakes are how you improve. Also REALLY understanding the content is extremely useful cause then if you encounter a question you’ve never seen before you can tackle it decently with your knowledge

idkkdi

HSC

read cambridge

mango73

HSC
Work hard, and study smart (for specifics, see my prev. responses in threads like this).

Like theres not much more you can do than fully apply yourself. You're also going to tutoring. Although it's unnecessary, I think you're set tbh...
Thankyou so much. Appreciate it:)

mango73

HSC
read cambridge
Hi there,I am completing both Fitzpatrick and Cambridge math textbooks. And yes, Cambridge is harder than the former so I'm trying to do as much questions as possible to set myself especially the enrichment questions. So what exactly do you mean by reading the book? Do you mean just try to understand the textbook concepts or what? I see you're doing year 12 4u math, so any advice from you, I will definitely take into consideration. Thankyou bro:)

mango73

HSC
First breathe. Don’t overwhelm yourself, just try your best and learn from your mistakes. Mistakes are honestly your best friend for maths, as ironic as it sounds mistakes is how I started doing a lot better at maths. After an exam or practice paper I would only focus on what I got wrong and take a moment to understand my mistake so I could make sure I didn’t make them in the next exam or practice paper. Practice is also good but I find it can sometimes overwhelm you cause you feel like you haven’t done enough, but trust me when I say mistakes are how you improve. Also REALLY understanding the content is extremely useful cause then if you encounter a question you’ve never seen before you can tackle it decently with your knowledge
Hi there, thanks so much for the advice. I see you're doing 4u so you definitely know your stuff and all. I heard the concept of a mistake book hundreds of times - so I'm considering this. Appreciate it bro:)

idkkdi

HSC
Hi there,I am completing both Fitzpatrick and Cambridge math textbooks. And yes, Cambridge is harder than the former so I'm trying to do as much questions as possible to set myself especially the enrichment questions. So what exactly do you mean by reading the book? Do you mean just try to understand the textbook concepts or what? I see you're doing year 12 4u math, so any advice from you, I will definitely take into consideration. Thankyou bro:)
Properly read and understand every line of the Cambridge book. Understand the intentions of proofs etc. think extra and fill in the gaps instinctively.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Can you tell us which concepts are overwhelming you this year? Provide some details, if you can. That'll give us some clue of where you may be at.

mango73

HSC
Can you tell us which concepts are overwhelming you this year? Provide some details, if you can. That'll give us some clue of where you may be at.
Hi there:) Currently, our classes have started off with combinatorics & perms(extension), probability, and discrete probability distributions(advanced). I must admit that I haven't had the most solid foundation in the concept of probability - it's confusing and is the most poorly taught topic from year 7-12 across NSW(according to my teacher). I'm trying to solve problems without the need of anyone's help and once I can't do it myself, I would have to rely on my peers or the answer sheet at the end of the book to guide me to the correct answer. The thing is I rely too much and nothing enters my brain. I can see what the question asks and the relation between the question and the answer. But the steps needed to figure out the problem is when my brain enters sleep mode.lol

Next up is a binomial expansion & pascal's triangle (extension) and differentiation(advanced). These topics I feel less worried about but my main concerns are to do with me falling behind on the current topic of probability. It might be the hardest subject - I don't' know.
Or it simply might just be me.

Falling behind is my actual concern and I since I attend a highly competitive schooling environment, I don't want to have to deal with this initial stress.

idkkdi

HSC
Hi there:) Currently, our classes have started off with combinatorics & perms(extension), probability, and discrete probability distributions(advanced). I must admit that I haven't had the most solid foundation in the concept of probability - it's confusing and is the most poorly taught topic from year 7-12 across NSW(according to my teacher). I'm trying to solve problems without the need of anyone's help and once I can't do it myself, I would have to rely on my peers or the answer sheet at the end of the book to guide me to the correct answer. The thing is I rely too much and nothing enters my brain. I can see what the question asks and the relation between the question and the answer. But the steps needed to figure out the problem is when my brain enters sleep mode.lol

Next up is a binomial expansion & pascal's triangle (extension) and differentiation(advanced). These topics I feel less worried about but my main concerns are to do with me falling behind on the current topic of probability. It might be the hardest subject - I don't' know.
Or it simply might just be me.

Falling behind is my actual concern and I since I attend a highly competitive schooling environment, I don't want to have to deal with this initial stress.
lol dont u learn 2u probability in yr 10 course.
probability is not hard. either your teacher aint teaching it well, or you're not trying hard enough to learn it yourself. probability isnt so much about formulas as it is about intuition and logic.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
If you are starting Yr 11, unless you have accelerated learning things in advance, you would not have the background to do the topics your school (I take this are stuff from your school, not your Coaching Centre?) is covering. Check with your classmates: if most of them can handle it, then you have a very capable class or you are in some special accelerated class in your school. They shouldn't be covering those topics yet. No wonder you are feeling stressed and discouraged. Given time, you will be able to understand all those stuff, provided you are reasonably bright and your teachers are also OK.

So don't worry.

idkkdi

HSC
If you are starting Yr 11, unless you have accelerated learning things in advance, you would not have the background to do the topics your school (I take this are stuff from your school, not your Coaching Centre?) is covering. Check with your classmates: if most of them can handle it, then you have a very capable class or you are in some special accelerated class in your school. They shouldn't be covering those topics yet. No wonder you are feeling stressed and discouraged. Given time, you will be able to understand all those stuff, provided you are reasonably bright and your teachers are also OK.

So don't worry.
quite a few schools start with those topics. cambridge introduces it assuming u have no prior knowledge and all you really need is some arithmetic and logic.
so i would say its fine.
although if your classmates aren't struggling, there's definitely tutoring going on lol,

Last edited:

mango73

HSC
lol dont u learn 2u probability in yr 10 course.
probability is not hard. either your teacher aint teaching it well, or you're not trying hard enough to learn it yourself. probability isnt so much about formulas as it is about intuition and logic.
aight got it:) thanks so much, bro. I mean I'm putting in the effort but i honestly think my teacher doesn't know how to teach. He's one of the cool, laid-back teachers every student dreams of in high school but when it actually comes to lessons, he can't teach for shit. That's why I'm also attending tutoring lessons, would you suggest one-to-one tuition so I can actually have that personal interaction instead of in groups 5-6? I might be able to properly understand all the concepts if I do. I'm not sure.

mango73

HSC

So don't worry.
Thanks for the advice. You are partially right. So, I completed Year 10 5.3 before Year 10 Term 4. Since we still had a solid term before year 11 started, our teacher decided to teach us some fundamental topics of year 11 advanced & extension. So we had a headstart onto the year 11 topic of functions, inequalities & inverses - this was as a whole grade. Then year 11 hit:oops:...
and we just started off with probability keep in mind that this is not year 10 probability where it was easy stuff like notations, dependent and independent events, etc. I heard that quite a few other schools start with these topics eg. Sydney boys, Sydney girls & Baulko.

mango73

HSC
quite a few schools start with those topics. cambridge introduces it assuming u have no prior knowledge and all you really need is some arithmetic and logic.
so i would say its fine.
although if your classmates aren't struggling, there's definitely tutoring going on lol,
classmates aren't struggling. roughly 90% of our grade does tutoring for math. This includes me but I did start it only this year. Haven't been going to tutoring in years. The last time I went was in Year 6 cause of the selective shit.lol

idkkdi

HSC
aight got it:) thanks so much, bro. I mean I'm putting in the effort but i honestly think my teacher doesn't know how to teach. He's one of the cool, laid-back teachers every student dreams of in high school but when it actually comes to lessons, he can't teach for shit. That's why I'm also attending tutoring lessons, would you suggest one-to-one tuition so I can actually have that personal interaction instead of in groups 5-6? I might be able to properly understand all the concepts if I do. I'm not sure.
No maths tutoring. Idk lol.

@Drongoski knows more about this although he may be slightly biased in favour of one on one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)