Year 11 modules in hsc (1 Viewer)

HSC
I can only speak to Ext 1 Maths (I am doing accelerated, so I'm at the same point as you) where the answer is def yes. Y11 content can be explicitly tested in HSC for Maths. While y12 mostly builds on y11 so y11 content should be simple, there are some parts of the y11 syllabus which are not revisited in year 12, such as combinatorics.

Momentazeus

HSC
There are some questions on plants in one of the past papers so...

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
I can only speak to Ext 1 Maths (I am doing accelerated, so I'm at the same point as you) where the answer is def yes. Y11 content can be explicitly tested in HSC for Maths. While y12 mostly builds on y11 so y11 content should be simple, there are some parts of the y11 syllabus which are not revisited in year 12, such as combinatorics.
Wdym. Combinatorics does show up?
Should I study everything from year 11 to year 12 when it comes to chem, phys, bio, ext 1 maths?
Nope. I'm pretty sure jazz519 has a similar thread which talks about what yr 11 content shows up for chem explicitly.

HSC
Wdym. Combinatorics does show up?
I haven't done the parts of the course involving combinatorics yet but as far as I am aware from the syllabus the ideas of perms and combs (how many ways to get this) are not really explicitly in the year 12 course, plz correct me if i am wrong.

notme123

HSC
I haven't done the parts of the course involving combinatorics yet but as far as I am aware from the syllabus the ideas of perms and combs (how many ways to get this) are not really explicitly in the year 12 course, plz correct me if i am wrong.
theres also binomial distributions in year 12 which you are right in saying arent really combinatorics tbh theyre related by they can act seperately

notme123

HSC
Should I study everything from year 11 to year 12 when it comes to chem, phys, bio, ext 1 maths?
for phys ignore mod 3 literally it has no significance except for maybe the wave equation and snells law. my school actually skipped thermo because they said it doesn't appear in hsc. mod 1 and 2 are important as a foundation so keep those in mind, especially momentum. you won't get standard momentum questions but they can appear in secret (aside from relativistic momentum which is covered in mod 7) eg the last question of 2019 physics hsc. if you forgot conservation of momentum or didn't think to apply you basically lost 7 marks.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
theres also binomial distributions in year 12 which you are right in saying arent really combinatorics tbh theyre related by they can act seperately
Combinatorics and permutations can show up independently as a question in the HSC.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
there are some parts of the y11 syllabus which are not revisited in year 12, such as combinatorics.
?
That's exactly my point lol, "Y11 content can be explicitly tested in HSC for Maths."
I can see what you mean. But by saying it's not revisited is false. It is revisited. In the exam lol.

A1La5

HSC
for phys ignore mod 3 literally it has no significance except for maybe the wave equation and snells law. my school actually skipped thermo because they said it doesn't appear in hsc. mod 1 and 2 are important as a foundation so keep those in mind, especially momentum. you won't get standard momentum questions but they can appear in secret (aside from relativistic momentum which is covered in mod 7) eg the last question of 2019 physics hsc. if you forgot conservation of momentum or didn't think to apply you basically lost 7 marks.
I see what you mean in the sense that there are no direct application questions on Thermodynamics but I feel that the underlying concepts that you learn in that submodule do have some (albeit little) applications in Year 12 Physics. For instance, Thermodynamics is used in Module 8 to explain why atoms formed 380,000 years after the Big Bang rather than at that instant (KE of electrons in the super early stages were too high to form atoms, because of the high temperature levels in the universe. The cooling of the universe was what allowed electrons to be bound to atoms.).

And even though there have been no questions on those topics in either of the two exams under the new syllabus you never know what to expect as NESA wouldn't put the formulas on the sheet if they weren't going to use them at all. This year could be the first where a curveball might happen.

notme123

HSC
I see what you mean in the sense that there are no direct application questions on Thermodynamics but I feel that the underlying concepts that you learn in that submodule do have some (albeit little) applications in Year 12 Physics. For instance, Thermodynamics is used in Module 8 to explain why atoms formed 380,000 years after the Big Bang rather than at that instant (KE of electrons in the super early stages were too high to form atoms, because of the high temperature levels in the universe. The cooling of the universe was what allowed electrons to be bound to atoms.).

And even though there have been no questions on those topics in either of the two exams under the new syllabus you never know what to expect as NESA wouldn't put the formulas on the sheet if they weren't going to use them at all. This year could be the first where a curveball might happen.
pls dont jinx it im not learning thermo now its too late

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)