• We need YOUR help for the next generation of students! Upload your notes and exams on our Notes & Resources page!
  • You must be a registered member to download resources

YEAR 11 SELECTIVE ENTRY (URGENT) - FORT STREET (1 Viewer)

trishaa_

HSC
Hi, I am doing the HAST exam this Saturday, 10 August and was wondering whether I could get some tips/advice from people that have done the exam.

- how was the writing exam and what was the topic?
- was maths a non-calculator exam and did it have science questions? also was it similar/the same as 5.3 questions?
- what were the questions in abstract reasoning like and how could I study for it?
- was the whole exam multiple choice (excluding writing of course)
- was the reading similar to NAPLAN/ICAS, or was it harder?

Absolutely any tips would be extremely helpful.

Thank you!
- Trisha

Minari243

HSC
Hi! I’m doing the HAST this saturday too, for yr 11 aswell. My answers may not be 100% correct since I haven’t done the test before.

They will give you a stimulus, can be a quote or an image, and you choose any text type to write about it.

I’m not sure if they will allow calculators but I’ve heard from friends that its generally a GA/maths/science mixed together test.

Not exactly sure about abstract reasoning too but I’ve just searched up random practice tests for abstract reasoning, which I hope will help.

Im fairly certain that all the exams will be multiple choice.

I’ve went through a practice test for reading and it was harder than NAPLAN, although it could still be different.

Hope that helped!

trishaa_

HSC
Hey!
Thank you for your response. Is it okay for you to share the abstract reasoning resources you're using?
Also, how are you studying for the mathematics sections? I'm studying algebra, indices, logs, surds and probability.
Good luck for Saturday!

Accurate

HSC
Hey!
Thank you for your response. Is it okay for you to share the abstract reasoning resources you're using?
Also, how are you studying for the mathematics sections? I'm studying algebra, indices, logs, surds and probability.
Good luck for Saturday!
Don't study any of that, I did the exam last year for Yr 9 and trust me I thought things like that will come I studied functions, logs, quadratics (basically all the stuff one year ahead of me at that time) and none of that came up, it's all logic based questions.

trishaa_

HSC
okay, also, how was abstract reasoning? what can i use to study for it?
thanks

Tipppp

HSC
I am doing a test tomorrow for hurlstone agricultural high school for entry into year 10 any advice

trishaa_

HSC
hey, theres a post called 'guide to applying for a selective school 2nd edition' which is helpful. good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)