Yet Another *sinister music*...Question (1 Viewer)

cuivienen

HSC
Yet Another *sinister music*...Question [artist's statement]

Newbie here *waves* I was just hoping i could impose a question here, and gain a justified answer...as my teacher is not entirely good at giving those :rolleyes:

Ok, i am doing a large, very abstract painting for my major work, accompanied by some smaller works. However, as it is abstract/cubist I was hoping to provide a citation (explaining key aspects of the work), to the markers. Teachers from the past, and students in my class tell me that this can be done, however my new art teacher says it cannot? :confused:

So i'm sort of in a dilly of a pickle at the moment. I hope that the markers won't look at my work and mark it in relation to the aesthetics, since without knowledge of my inspiration for the major work, they will be quite lost.

Last edited by a moderator:

bubble_tea

yeah, before you submit your work to the markers, you have to fill out a form.. they have things such as title of artwork, artist statement, category, etc..

cuivienen

HSC
Oh lordie...my teacher is so immersed in the course :) Thanks for that information...

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
you don't have to fill out the artist statement.. and i'm not going to.
If you fill out the artist statement they may see a brilliant concept in your work.. but read the artist statement and find out that was not you're concept... this could affect ur mark i spose.

cuivienen

HSC
hmm...i see that it could pose a problem...although my work is abstract expressionist, so i think i should provide a small background as to what inspired me to orchestrate the work since they may not understand it...

jaNetix

my teach advised against it last yr. wen i did hcs
he said they see it differently to wat we do...just let them think for themselves i guess...

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
yeah, be careful with those statements. in your case, cuivienen, it sounds sort of justified. but in some cases it might look like the artist is using the statement to prop up a work that cannot hold itself up.

(try looking at damien hirst's work -- not abstract expressionist at all, but he has really long titles that sort of explain the work a little, and a lot of the time, without these titles, his work would have entirely different meanings)

frazzle

HSC
there's an option to NOT write a statement? I never knew that... my teacher expects us all to write one.

I'm nowhere near finished, but I think my work would explain my concept by itself. Too early to worry about that.

What are your opinions on the use of text in artworks? digital imaging. I've had different feedback from different teachers, opposing advise =\

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)