IDK WHAT TO DO!! (1 Viewer)

ronny thamer

HSC
So regarding my previous post on subject changes, I recently got permission to change from Engineering Studies to Modern History. Although I love history and really wan’t to be in the class, I fear because of the mass amount of content I have to learn in such a short amount of time I will not succeed as much as i originally thought. Additionally, i think my report will be affected as I would need to learn the content, then do the exams. I personally find the theory content of Engineering to be very dull and boring and i often can’t focus during classes although my cohort is rlly good and I have a rlly good teacher but I can say the same for Modern. I really don’t know as I absolutely love history but don’t want to dedicate that shear amount of time learning all that content.

If you have your own comments feel free to provide as harsh suggestions as you require.

iloveeggs

HSC
i have a couple things i want to say, not really concrete suggestions but hopefully they help you think abt it and lead you towards a solution lol

mass amount of content I have to learn in such a short amount of time I will not succeed as much as i originally thought
i would first find out what has been covered in the existing modern classes and whether or not you have to make up the exams and assignments. then consider whether or not you can handle making up for this content along with the new content and how much support your new school is going to give you in the transition into this new subject.

in my school we have only done one exam on a certain topic (decline and fall of the romanov dynasty) and are doing a 2 term long project where we research a topic of our choosing and write an essay on it - if you were to switch into my class it would be chill (can't speak for your school tho, do your research). if there has been more than 1 big exam/major topic that has been covered and you absolutely HAVE to make up for it i would say that's the point where you should have a conversation and negotiate with your school - i don't see how its reasonable that they agreed to you switching to this course considering that it would be such a massive burden on you - this is where having karen parents helps.

another thing to consider is that a lot of schools also dont actually repeat the topics over the terms (again you can check this with the teachers, they are obligated to give you an outline/scope and sequence doc of what they are going to teach you imo) and if thats the case and the topic covered last term might not show up on any future exams.

overall, check with the modern teachers, hopefully you can negotiate smth (they shouldn't make you redo last terms exams i think, not sure, but they should definitely provide support to cover any content that was missed that you need later on). see if anyone in the current modern class can support you and give notes and resources if possible.

I personally find the theory content of Engineering to be very dull and boring and i often can’t focus during classes
idk abt you but this is a warning sign for what is to come in yr12 if you keep doing engineering. youll get more work and more stress in yr12 and idk abt you but i tend to procrastinate more in subjects i hate, so given the opportunity to procrastinate (bc your busy or bc of stress or whatever) what are the odds you'll try and work hard in engineering if you can barely pay attention in class without being bored?

my cohort is rlly good and I have a rlly good teacher but I can say the same for Modern
do you mean that that you can't say the same abt modern, or that you can? either way, i dont think you should stay in engineering bc your teacher and cohort are good but you should consider not doing modern if the teacher and cohort are really really bad if that makes sense.

i think whether the teacher is good or not matters more than the actual cohort bc the teacher is where you will get your resources/knowledge from, which affects your individual performance more directly than your cohort (up for debate tho, this is just my opinion). ask people that have done modern with the same teacher in previous years, or the kids doing modern rn what the teacher is like and how their lessons and teaching style is like, see if the way they teach and the resources that they provide (textbooks, ppts, notes, verbal explanations, inquiry-based learning etc.) work for you and help you understand content. you can always self-study but if the teacher is absolutely dogshit (as in they don't know what they're doing, high on fentanyl maybe). you get a lot of crucial feedback for exam responses and ways to remember things and things like that from teachers and if they're horrible it will just get harder for you to cope in the subject imo.

as for your cohort, i don't think it should be a concern unless they're so bad you can be sure they'll scale you down. if you do good enough at modern and have an okayish cohort you will be fine either way. the point is that if your cohort is not very bad you can still do well in modern if you yourself are good at the subject. i personally think this is the least of your worries rn tho

I really don’t know as I absolutely love history but don’t want to dedicate that shear amount of time learning all that content.
i totally hear you, i think this a conversation between whoever is in charge of you moving subjects (deputy, academic advisor etc.), your future modern teacher, and yourself. i think you should make it known that this transition will be rough on you and to consider not having you make up all that content. hopefully you will either not have to make it up overall or they will support you as much as possible if you do.

overall, based on what you are saying my response is in favour of moving but you should totally consider everything i just said + do your own research. i reckon it should be okay speaking from what modern is like in my school but i cant say the same about every school.

good luck!

ronny thamer

HSC
i have a couple things i want to say, not really concrete suggestions but hopefully they help you think abt it and lead you towards a solution lol

i would first find out what has been covered in the existing modern classes and whether or not you have to make up the exams and assignments. then consider whether or not you can handle making up for this content along with the new content and how much support your new school is going to give you in the transition into this new subject.

in my school we have only done one exam on a certain topic (decline and fall of the romanov dynasty) and are doing a 2 term long project where we research a topic of our choosing and write an essay on it - if you were to switch into my class it would be chill (can't speak for your school tho, do your research). if there has been more than 1 big exam/major topic that has been covered and you absolutely HAVE to make up for it i would say that's the point where you should have a conversation and negotiate with your school - i don't see how its reasonable that they agreed to you switching to this course considering that it would be such a massive burden on you - this is where having karen parents helps.

another thing to consider is that a lot of schools also dont actually repeat the topics over the terms (again you can check this with the teachers, they are obligated to give you an outline/scope and sequence doc of what they are going to teach you imo) and if thats the case and the topic covered last term might not show up on any future exams.

overall, check with the modern teachers, hopefully you can negotiate smth (they shouldn't make you redo last terms exams i think, not sure, but they should definitely provide support to cover any content that was missed that you need later on). see if anyone in the current modern class can support you and give notes and resources if possible.

idk abt you but this is a warning sign for what is to come in yr12 if you keep doing engineering. youll get more work and more stress in yr12 and idk abt you but i tend to procrastinate more in subjects i hate, so given the opportunity to procrastinate (bc your busy or bc of stress or whatever) what are the odds you'll try and work hard in engineering if you can barely pay attention in class without being bored?

do you mean that that you can't say the same abt modern, or that you can? either way, i dont think you should stay in engineering bc your teacher and cohort are good but you should consider not doing modern if the teacher and cohort are really really bad if that makes sense.

i think whether the teacher is good or not matters more than the actual cohort bc the teacher is where you will get your resources/knowledge from, which affects your individual performance more directly than your cohort (up for debate tho, this is just my opinion). ask people that have done modern with the same teacher in previous years, or the kids doing modern rn what the teacher is like and how their lessons and teaching style is like, see if the way they teach and the resources that they provide (textbooks, ppts, notes, verbal explanations, inquiry-based learning etc.) work for you and help you understand content. you can always self-study but if the teacher is absolutely dogshit (as in they don't know what they're doing, high on fentanyl maybe). you get a lot of crucial feedback for exam responses and ways to remember things and things like that from teachers and if they're horrible it will just get harder for you to cope in the subject imo.

as for your cohort, i don't think it should be a concern unless they're so bad you can be sure they'll scale you down. if you do good enough at modern and have an okayish cohort you will be fine either way. the point is that if your cohort is not very bad you can still do well in modern if you yourself are good at the subject. i personally think this is the least of your worries rn tho

i totally hear you, i think this a conversation between whoever is in charge of you moving subjects (deputy, academic advisor etc.), your future modern teacher, and yourself. i think you should make it known that this transition will be rough on you and to consider not having you make up all that content. hopefully you will either not have to make it up overall or they will support you as much as possible if you do.

overall, based on what you are saying my response is in favour of moving but you should totally consider everything i just said + do your own research. i reckon it should be okay speaking from what modern is like in my school but i cant say the same about every school.

good luck!
Thanks for the feedback! I’ll definitely speak with the teachers and other officials regarding this matter on how to cope with all the coursework. As for the exams, i don’t think they will require me to do the previous assessment task which is good as i don’t need to stress until the next assessment task. Thanks again for the feedback!!

iloveeggs

HSC
Thanks for the feedback! I’ll definitely speak with the teachers and other officials regarding this matter on how to cope with all the coursework. As for the exams, i don’t think they will require me to do the previous assessment task which is good as i don’t need to stress until the next assessment task. Thanks again for the feedback!!
that's great, all the best with that!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)