Investment banks offering cadetships (1 Viewer)

pmaloney

HSC
Hi,
I am interested in a career as an Investment Banker, and was wondering what investment banks offer cadetships, and what do the banks look for in a potential cadet.

Any help would be appreciated

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
As far as I know, they don't offer cadetships. However there is the Business Cadetships, of which there are two companies that are IBs. I don't think that you are trained in the IB section of either of them though.

If you want to be an Investment Banker just do the internships during university and get in like that. It's such a competitive industry - people who already have a degree with decent marks don't get a job as an IB - it's just not possible to have cadetships that train people to become Investment Bankers.

If you really want a cadetship - then aim for the Business Cadetship or even an Accounting one and you can jump ship to an IB if you are desperate as your experience and good marks will help you. Just my two cents.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
why does everyone aspire to be an investment banker. I know people that dont even know what the ASX is and want to be investment bankers.

Is it the money? or cuz lyk tradin da shares is mad cool like video game

williamc

HSC
Lol i thought the ASX was the australian stock exchange.

Little did i know that it is the Australian Securities Exchange. (well according to my acturial studies lecturer).

blakegman

HSC
N/A
"The Australian Securities Exchange(ASX) as it is now known resulted from the merger of the Australian Stock Exchange and the Sydney Futures Exchange in December 2006."

you would of been right in 06, though tbh alot of people still call it stock.

Rorix

HSC
No, the closest is the UNSW Co-op program. You just do an internship in your penultimate year.

Cadetships is a way to lock up top high school talent by the accounting firms before the students realise accounting isnt that great a career.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Rorix said:
No, the closest is the UNSW Co-op program. You just do an internship in your penultimate year.

Cadetships is a way to lock up top high school talent by the accounting firms before the students realise accounting isnt that great a career.
Or the UTS BAcc program.

geetarjoe

HSC
N/A
None of the IBs offer cadetships.

The best way to get in is still to do a summer internship.

meagan354

HSC
blakegman said:
why does everyone aspire to be an investment banker. I know people that dont even know what the ASX is and want to be investment bankers.

Is it the money? or cuz lyk tradin da shares is mad cool like video game
NO WAY!
lol i thought that it was australian stock exchange too!

you really do learn something new everyday ... =P

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I know BNP Paribas offer cadetships for the first time this year- but it's not like an accounting cadetship. The kids only work 2 or 3 days a week. *shrugs*

As for why IB is so popular? I think the media sensationalises it an awful lot... look how cool Nick leeson's lifestyle was as portrayed by Ewan McGregor! Porsches, nice apartments, and lots of... well. I'll let you watch the Hollywood interpretation.

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
^ You can work full time and go to uni part time if you want, they are flexible.

But though we have an IB section, they didn't have cadet opportunities there for our year, but who knows it might change?

BackCountrySnow

HSC
seremify007 said:
As for why IB is so popular? I think the media sensationalises it an awful lot... look how cool Nick leeson's lifestyle was as portrayed by Ewan McGregor! Porsches, nice apartments, and lots of... well. I'll let you watch the Hollywood interpretation.[/quote

I wanna be an investment banker!!

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
After reading about investment bankers, I dont i'll ever call anyone in business greedy again.

They work for it.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
seremify007 said:
I know BNP Paribas offer cadetships for the first time this year- but it's not like an accounting cadetship. The kids only work 2 or 3 days a week. *shrugs*

As for why IB is so popular? I think the media sensationalises it an awful lot... look how cool Nick leeson's lifestyle was as portrayed by Ewan McGregor! Porsches, nice apartments, and lots of... well. I'll let you watch the Hollywood interpretation.
I'd have to disagree.

I reckon most people around me (who didn't study a commerce degree) don't know what an investment banker is, let alone even heard of it. I've got pharmacist friends, friends in the development/construction industry, doctors etc and they have no idea what a banker is, what it does etc.

All my commerce friends (anyone who's done a comm degree) know what it is. My law friends would. But most of these guys are probably comm/law anyway.

IB is still a highly narrow field and most people don't know/will never see/hear/come across it imo.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Omnidragon said:
I'd have to disagree.

I reckon most people around me (who didn't study a commerce degree) don't know what an investment banker is, let alone even heard of it. I've got pharmacist friends, friends in the development/construction industry, doctors etc and they have no idea what a banker is, what it does etc.

All my commerce friends (anyone who's done a comm degree) know what it is. My law friends would. But most of these guys are probably comm/law anyway.

IB is still a highly narrow field and most people don't know/will never
see/hear/come across it imo.
I agree,

The only people who know what an IB is are the people who look up top 20 paying careers in the Wall Steet Journal, I don't even think it was there in 2007 though.

I think i came across it in e-bay books, the title "careers to make millions", obviously showing that i'm a "hopeless 08er"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)