Jury Duty (1 Viewer)

n00dl3~danc3r

HSC
In feb i received a letter saying "ur on the jury role" and today i received on saying "congrats uve received a jury summons."

It starts 7 may and goes for max 8 weeks. Which covers the end of semester and exams...

I assume the uni wont give me any special consideration if i accept the duty.

Has anyone gone thru the process of using uni to get exempted?
What info do u need to provide, just a status letter??

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
I've received three of those jury role letters, but I haven't been summoned yet.

Have you noticed it doesn't list university as an exemption on the back of the letter? What is up with that?

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
Just say you hat blacks, jews, pretty much anything that isn't white Australia and you should get out easy

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I've been called up before. All you do is take the Jury Duty summons in to SES, and they will get the Uni JP to write you a letter, with a transcript attached. All you have to do is send it into the Court, and they will excuse you.

The letter basically says that if you accept jury duty you will:
Lose the money you have paid for your education;
Will not complete your units;
(and thus) Will not complete your degree within the specified period.

ALLLICE

HSC
screw jury duty...be underage like me

shit... there are benefits to being underage :eek:

HSC
mj how come u got one? i thought if u did law u weren't allowed to sit on a jury (which i've always found a rather entertaining notion) - is that just when u finish ur degree or have i been misinformed

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Its only once you're a Solicitor (ie. are registered) that you cant sit on a jury. While we are still students we can be involved in the (early) stages of jury duty. I say 'early' because no doubt either the prosecution or defence would surely deem us unsuitable jury members and kick us out! Bastards!! :p

I was so pissed when I got mine, because I really, really wanted to do it. A law students dream: Supreme Court, Criminal jurisdiction *drools*

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I've heard that it is a general rule to any 'profession', including psychs, doctors, lawyers (for more obvious reasons) etc. I once heard its because they are above the 'ordinary person' senario... A bit rich, I think, but possibly true.

Jamie, how is Honours going?!?!?!?!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Damn how bout spin doctors? (ie pr)

faintygirl83

HSC
N/A
I was summoned for jury duty late last year on the day of a final exam, so I sent in proof of enrolment along with my exam timetable and was excused.

Then I got summoned again earlier this year in the uni holidays - I got to the court room but my juror number wasn't selected at random, so after that I was basically free to go. I actually really wanted to do jury duty! Had I been selected at random though, I probably would have been 'challenged' because it was a sexual assault case and the victim was a similar age to me.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
ALLLICE said:
screw jury duty...be underage like me

shit... there are benefits to being underage :eek:
Yeah that and getting back at your overage ex's (sleep with them then tell the cops.)

HSC
N/A
I'm kinda really looking forward to jury duty and at the same time kinda not. I have huge issues with indecision at times - unless it's a clear cut case I don't know what I'd do!!!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
glitter, you've been quiet round here of late

i don't particularly want to do jury duty, not at the moment anyway, it'd be a waste of my time. the fact that i could do it one day would be kind of cool, it'd be one of those things that you could say you got the opportunity to do, but i don't think i'd like it when i got there,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)