projectile question (1 Viewer)

sasquatch

HSC
I'm having trouble getting the answer i the back of the book.. If anyone has done this question, could they please check for me>

It's Cambrdige Exercise 7.3 Q11b

The answer says 10(root2 - 1) ms-1, but i get 5(2root2 - 3) ms-1...

Yeah ive done the question twice..keep getting that answer..

Thanks for any help..

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Cambridge excercise 7.3

11 A projectile is fired from a point O on level ground with speed 13 m/s at an angle of projection alpha, where tan(alpha) = 12/5. The projectile just clears the top of a wall in its path and then reaches a maximum height of twice the height of the wall. At the instant of projection, a target is fired horizontally from the top of the wall and continues to move horizontally with constant speed u in the plane of the path of the projectile away from O. Find

(a) the distance of the base of the wall from O
(b) the value of u, given that the projectile hits the target

sasquatch

HSC
Oh sorry.. nuh i didnt really intend for someone to actualyl do it for me..i appreciate that.. just i guessed that people would have had to already have done it..so yeah just wondered if someone could check their answer..

Thanks for typing it up riviet..

haque

HSC
LOL seeing as i'm sick and have nothing to do here's the answer
the equation for the displacement of the horizontally projected particle is
d=ut +6-3sqrt2 and from the previous part we know that for y=h, x=6+3sqrt2 for the downward flight(its a parabola so its symmetrical) and so when x=6+3sqrt2 t=6+3sqrt2/5 using x=vtcos@. sub this into the "d" equatioon above and simplify and u get the answer at the back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)