1st Ranking = highest exam mark? (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
As Ms 12 said, the relative differences between internal marks are still retained.

If you were 1 mark below the student ahead of you, your moderated assessment mark will remain very close.

An issue in the example you created DarkPrince_87, is in most cases it does not matter what HSC exam mark the student with 77 got.

If you got 88 in the HSC exam, the assessment mark you will get will correspond to your rank while taking account of the relative difference between each student.

You will not simply get that students mark. There are other students in the class as well.

e.g.

Student A gets 76 in school. 88 in the HSC exam (in your example)
Student B gets 77 in school. 76 in the HSC exam (in your example)

Lets pretend student A was ranked 2nd.
Lets pretend student B was ranked 1st.

Lets pretend there are 10 people in your class, and the HSC exam marks they got are as follows:

75, 76 (student B), 78, 82, 80, 85, 88 (student A), 89, 89, 90

Student B who was ranked first, receives 90 as his moderated assessment mark, and 76 as his HSC exam mark. Average = 83 (HSC Mark)

Student A is ranked second, who receives 89 as his moderated assessment mark (second highest HSC exam mark), and keeps his original HSC exam mark of 88. Hence his HSC mark is 89.

What you can see from this is, student B in no way affected student A in terms of his HSC exam performance. Student B received a 76, but had no effect on student A.

Last edited:

who_loves_maths

I wanna be a nebula too!!
somewhere amidst the nebulaic cloud of your heart
HSC
Ragerunner, or Physician, or others, is it possible for you to clearly explain what happens with equal rankings (1st) plz? and how that affects the HSC exam marks received?
preferrably with supporting examples plz?

it was mentioned very briefly earlier in the thread - but was too brief that it wasn't much of an explanation.

thnx in advance :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Alright, I guess I could do this before I go to bed. I'm tired so bear with me :)

It's probably best explained by mucking around with this.

http://www.boredofstudies.org/moderate.php

But as an example.

Lets say we have a class of 6 students.

We got student A ranked 1st
We got student B ranked 1st as well (tied).

The internal assessment marks are as follows:

70, 72, 76, 77, 81 (student A), 81 (student B).

Now lets pretend these 6 students sit the HSC exam and score these marks:

72, 74, 78, 84, 86 (student A), 92 (student B).

What normally happens when a student is ranked first is he/she receives the highest HSC exam mark as his/her moderated assessment mark.

Now because student A and student B are ranked equal first (identical internal assessment marks), what happens is the average of the two highest HSC exam marks are taken, and this average becomes both student A's and student B's moderated assessment mark.

So using the example above, the 2 highest exam marks are 86 and 92. The average of these 2 marks is 89. So student A and student B will both receive 89 as their moderated assessment mark.

They will both retain their own HSC exam mark; student A being 86, and student B being 92.

So in the end:
student A receives a HSC mark of (86 + 89 / 2) = 88 (rounded up)
student B receives a HSC mark of (92 + 89 / 2) = 91 (rounded up)

I hope this makes things clearer for you.

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
Mmmm this may be stupid but...

In one of my subjects, I'm ranked first with an assesment mark of around 90. The person ranked 2nd has an assesment mark of about 75-80.

I had a bad exam where I stuffed up a 12 mark question. So, if I get 75 in the exam and no one else in the class beats me, my assesment mark becomes 75 and the hard work I put in all year amounts to nothing?

Also, if the person ranked 2nd gets say, 85, my assesment mark becomes 85 and my HSC mark becaomes (85+75)/2?

Oh and one last query (sorry lol). Does your UAI depend on your raw HSC exam mark or on that mark plus your raw school assesment?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
That's correct, if the highest mark was 75, your internal mark that was 90, will become 75. Might sound unfair, but this method allows differentiation between the difficulty of the assessments/tests every school gives.

Because you got a 90, it may indicate your school may have given easier tests, thus easier to gain higher marks.

The HSC exam is a standard exam every HSC student does, so using that as a measure of internal assessment marks is probably as fair as it can get. But realistically, in your example, it's probably unlikely that 75 will be the highest exam mark.

To answer your other question, you are correct. Because you are ranked first, you will receive the highest HSC exam mark as your moderated assessment mark, which is 85. You will keep your own HSC exam mark, and the average is taken to give your HSC mark.

UAI depends on your raw HSC mark. (Average of your raw HSC moderated assessment mark and HSC exam mark).

The process can be described in this flowchart.

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
Thanketh mucheth. I pray I either didn't do as bad as I think or someone in my class kicks my ass in the exam.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Which is why after all your assessments have been completed, it's a team effort to do well in the HSC. If everyone performs well, it can only benefit you and everyone else in your class.

So instead of trying to beat your friends, you are better off helping them :)

HSC
N/A
This system kind of bothers me for my circumstance. I go to a school where in each assesment/exam, only about 5 students out of 20 or so ever PASS (above 50%) People think you're a genious if you pull an 80%. And no, we are not given hard assesment tasks, I would assume that they are pretty average (not too difficult, not too easy) but my school is generally fulled with lazy non-achievers.

Anyway. In a subject, I consistently receive marks in the 90s. The second in the class always gets around the low 70s.

So, obviously I would be ranked first. Yet, I am a poor exam performer for health reasons (I have Anxiety Disorder, and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and so exams for me are usually a large mix of Panic Attacks and trying to keep my eyes opened.

I will be applying for Special Provisions, and will most likely get it, but that still doesn't ensure that I won't stuff up an exam (and trust me, I stuff up more than 50% of exams taken)

I'm just worried that I will get a really fantastic assesment mark, say 95, and the second in class will get 70. In the HSC exam, things go wrong and I only get 70, and the second in class only gets 65 or so. Henceforth, my HSC mark for that subject is now 70, 25 marks off my assesment mark.

At what point do you think the BOS say "Hold on, something happened here" ? I don't think I am able to apply for misadventure if something goes wrong, if I already have Special Provisions for those reasons. It's just that my health is always so damn eratic, there's no knowing how I will be feeling on the exam day.

Is there some way students can be made exempt from the process, because of extenuating circumstances relating to their exam performance?

For example, could my overal mark be calculated by working out the average of my assesment mark and exam mark, like the other students get?

I just don't see it fair that I should receive a mark of 70 or so, when I've been getting 95+ all year long - because of my health. It doesn't seem right.

Last edited:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
In a situation like that, it would be best to notify the board of studies.

If you apply for a misadventure, it won't help much in your situation because what happens when your misadventure appeal is upheld is you will receive your moderated assessment mark as your HSC exam mark. And because you said the rest of your class doesn't perform well, it doesn't benefit you much.

A special provision that comes to mind, is the EAS, there is a sticky on this in the main technical arcana forum giving details about it.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
If you're ranked first and you successfully apply for illness/misadventure, your moderated assessment mark is calculated differently.

It's hard to explain, but you can use the prototype modeller to see how it works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)