• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

2 unit maths HSC (1 Viewer)

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Hey there, I was just thinking about this and i really didn't know the answer so I jumped on here :)

Anyways, I don't do accelerated maths (it was not offered when i was in year 10) so i just do 2u and 3u maths. However my 2u and 3u are two different classes, with my 2u running within school periods and 3u is before school. At the end of this term 3 (after prelims) i will begin 4u, meaning that i will stop doing 2u in school. The problem is, how will i cover the HSC 2u maths that is required in 3u and 4u since i don't do 2u. I don't think my teachers will teach 2u in the other math classes so i'm a little worried as to what's going to happen. Should i start and try to complete the 2u HSC course now? Do the 4u students have like a "2u catchup" class running outside of school periods? I know this would have been so much simpler if i did accelerated and did 2u HSC in year 11, but yeah, not offered.

If this has happened to you, can you kindly inform me as to what you did or what the school does

Thanks in advance:)

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Which HSC 2U topics do you think you'll end up missing out on?
Like the whole course. Integration, Series and sequences, log, probability, apps for calculus in physical world. I'm especially worried cause i know how heavily these topics are relied on in 3u and 4u

leehuan

HSC
That is interesting. At my school, what they did was that although they managed to fit 3u in the timetable, all the 3u students had the same teacher who taught them both 2 + 3. It was just 4u that had a different teacher.

This means, that through sitting in 3u, 4u students still got the chance to learn the stuff in 2u. Naturally though, they weren't assessed on it.

Even then, 4u teachers are good at filling gaps.

So the question becomes, how are the teachers arranged at your school? Do you guys have like three 2u teachers, teaching various classes, and then a bunch of students from each coming to school early to do 3u? Or are all of you 3u students packed into one group.

(Although not necesarily 100% chance, it's quite likely 4u will also run out of school hours if 3u does.)

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
So how it works is that there are three 2u class. 2 of them are just standard 2u but the one, the one im in, goes faster than the other two as everyone in my class does 3u so the teacher has to keep the 2u at a speed that complements our 3u (btw we have the same teacher for 2u and 3u, the only difference is that classes are run separately). However our-to-be 4u teacher is different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leehuan

HSC
Alright. I was maybe unclear with the explanation of mine, but it seems your's is pretty much the exact same as mine.

The only difference is that some of your 3u classes are before school. Typically, what happens is that you will be kept in the 2u/3u class and also be taught the 2u concepts anyhow, at a regular pace there. At the same time, if there are some untaught 2u concepts which you will need in 4u, you will find that your 4u teacher will teach them to you very roughly, for the time being, and an extensive in depth treatment will occur in your 2u/3u classes.

When a different teacher teaches 4u than those teaching 3u, they usually either:
- Use you, the student, as a form of contact between each other, or
- Keep contact between each other themselves

Your 4u teacher will guide you along a path that ensures that you will have all of 2u covered as you progress, and your 3u teacher will be who refurbishes those 2u concepts up to date.

Naturally, you also don't sit 2u tasks if you take 4u if you don't wish to. (Some sit both 2u and 4u because they might drop, whereas others don't.)

After all, the 4u teacher himself/herself knows that some concepts in 4u demand 2u skills. So he also has responsibility to start you guys off in it if he has to.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Alright. I was maybe unclear with the explanation of mine, but it seems your's is pretty much the exact same as mine.

The only difference is that some of your 3u classes are before school. Typically, what happens is that you will be kept in the 2u/3u class and also be taught the 2u concepts anyhow, at a regular pace there. At the same time, if there are some untaught 2u concepts which you will need in 4u, you will find that your 4u teacher will teach them to you very roughly, for the time being, and an extensive in depth treatment will occur in your 2u/3u classes.

When a different teacher teaches 4u than those teaching 3u, they usually either:
- Use you, the student, as a form of contact between each other, or
- Keep contact between each other themselves

Your 4u teacher will guide you along a path that ensures that you will have all of 2u covered as you progress, and your 3u teacher will be who refurbishes those 2u concepts up to date.

Naturally, you also don't sit 2u tasks if you take 4u if you don't wish to. (Some sit both 2u and 4u because they might drop, whereas others don't.)

After all, the 4u teacher himself/herself knows that some concepts in 4u demand 2u skills. So he also has responsibility to start you guys off in it if he has to.
Thank you very much. Looks like i'm gonna be questioning a few teachers when i get back to school...:lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)