2008 HSC Maths Scaling Stats (1 Viewer)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
dp624 said:
No, the mark you put in "85" is the aligned mark.
That "85" is probably about a 65% raw (like 70/120)
Are n't you supposed to put your HSC mark in? And isn't the HSC mark supposed to be the Raw one since the Raw marks are scaled and are used for UAI calculation? I'm confused.:confused:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Dragonmaster262 said:
Are n't you supposed to put your HSC mark in? And isn't the HSC mark supposed to be the Raw one since the Raw marks are scaled and are used for UAI calculation? I'm confused.:confused:
You seem to have missed my earlier answer:

Lazarus said:
Your raw HSC mark is the average of your raw exam mark and your initial moderated assessment mark. It is not reported to you but is used in scaling and UAI calculations.

Your aligned HSC mark is the average of your aligned exam mark and your aligned (moderated) assessment mark. It is reported to you but it has nothing to do with your UAI.
Even though the aligned HSC mark isn't used for your UAI, the UAI calculators estimate scaled marks from aligned marks, so you enter aligned HSC marks into them. This is because we don't (currently) have any useful statistics about raw marks.

jessica.ann

HSC
Can someone please confirm for me what I thought was correct in terms of scaling and raw marks.
The school gives u a rank. This rank is used to give u an aligned assessment mark (if your rank was one u get the first hsc mark as your assessment mark)
The other mark that we got as an exam mark is a raw mark of what we got in the hsc.
These two marks are then averaged to give us a hsc mark

Scaling is then applied to calculate uai based on the cohort and averages and things like that depending on the performance of the state etc.

Is this right at all?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
jessica.ann said:
Can someone please confirm for me what I thought was correct in terms of scaling and raw marks.
The school gives u a rank. This rank is used to give u an aligned assessment mark (if your rank was one u get the first hsc mark as your assessment mark)
The other mark that we got as an exam mark is a raw mark of what we got in the hsc.
These two marks are then averaged to give us a hsc mark

Scaling is then applied to calculate uai based on the cohort and averages and things like that depending on the performance of the state etc.

Is this right at all?
not quite,
yes, your school assessments give u a rank and a unmoderated school mark but this gets changed after you do your HSC depending on how your cohort performs,
and the exam mark that you get is NOT a raw mark as no one knows their raw mark. It is your aligned mark and as i said before, your cohorts aligned marks calculates your moderated school mark, this is then averaged to get your HSC mark.

scaling is applied to your marks so that every subject can be graded equally and your UAI is calculated which is a rank in the state.

edit: and also, i've learnt that if you're first (internally) u dont necessarily get the first mark...but usually you do if everythings normal and everyone performs close to expected.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Lazarus said:
You seem to have missed my earlier answer:

Even though the aligned HSC mark isn't used for your UAI, the UAI calculators estimate scaled marks from aligned marks, so you enter aligned HSC marks into them. This is because we don't (currently) have any useful statistics about raw marks.
Thanks for clearing that up Lazarus. But suppose you came first internally in your school with 70%, and scored the top raw exam mark of 70% in your school. Is 70% the number which makes your UAI?

Last edited:

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Dragonmaster262 said:
Thanks for clearing that up Lazarus. But suppose you came first internally in your school and scored the top raw exam mark of 70% in your school. Is that 70% the number which makes your UAI?
no

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Dragonmaster262 said:
Thanks for clearing that up Lazarus. But suppose you came first internally in your school with 70%, and scored the top raw exam mark of 70% in your school. Is 70% the number which makes your UAI?
You have described this situation:

raw internal assessment mark = 70%
raw examination mark = 70%

The student is ranked absolute first internally and does not have an atypically low examination mark, so the student's initial moderated assessment mark will be the top raw examination mark:

initial moderated assessment mark = 70%

The student's raw HSC mark for the course is the average of the raw examination mark and the initial moderated assessment mark (which are both the same in this case):

raw HSC mark = 70%

This mark is scaled and the scaled mark contributes to the student's scaled aggregate and UAI.

Independently of all of the above, the raw examination mark and the initial moderated assessment mark are aligned to the course standards by the Board and reported as the aligned examination mark and aligned assessment mark respectively. The rounded average of those two marks is reported as the aligned HSC mark.

The Board does not use the term 'aligned' in its reports because it wants students (and everyone else) to focus on the final standards-referenced result.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Lazarus said:
You have described this situation:

raw internal assessment mark = 70%
raw examination mark = 70%

The student is ranked absolute first internally and does not have an atypically low examination mark, so the student's initial moderated assessment mark will be the top raw examination mark:

initial moderated assessment mark = 70%

The student's raw HSC mark for the course is the average of the raw examination mark and the initial moderated assessment mark (which are both the same in this case):

raw HSC mark = 70%

This mark is scaled and the scaled mark contributes to the student's scaled aggregate and UAI.

Independently of all of the above, the raw examination mark and the initial moderated assessment mark are aligned to the course standards by the Board and reported as the aligned examination mark and aligned assessment mark respectively. The rounded average of those two marks is reported as the aligned HSC mark.

The Board does not use the term 'aligned' in its reports because it wants students (and everyone else) to focus on the final standards-referenced result.
Thanks for taking the time to answer that Lazarus. I know that question was getting a bit irritating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)