2023 HSC Engineering Studies examination Q.21(c) (1 Viewer)

wizzkids

HSC
I want to draw attention to what appears to be an error or drafting mistake in the NSW Engineering Studies examination. Question 21 was the first of the extended response questions, and it was examining Aeronautical Engineering. The question was worth 11 marks. It had four parts (a) worth 2 marks, (b) 3 marks and (c) an isometric drawing worth 3 marks and (d) a microstructure worth 3 marks. It is the isometric drawing part (c) that I take issue with. The arrow showed the viewpoint from which the pictorial isometric drawing must be drawn. The arrow pointed to the front elevation, and it was pointing from below the horizontal plane, which means the part must be viewed from below. This is odd, because convention has it that the viewpoint shall be shown in the plan view, and the part is usually viewed from above. Students are never asked to draw pictorial views like this from below. This can only be a drafting mistake. However it makes a big difference to the finished drawing, as shown below. I would be interested in comments about this drawing question (and it was much too hard for just 3 marks, because it consists almost entirely of curved lines).
Isometric.png

Last edited:

wizzkids

HSC
NESA has now published the marking guidelines for 2023 Engineering Studies, and it appears with regard to Question 21 (c) the Chief Marker has accepted just about any isometric view of the wing spar will receive full marks, regardless of whether it conforms to the stated viewing direction or not.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)