21 grams (2 Viewers)

turtle_2468

HSC
Go watch it. We watched the preview yesterday, it's quite twisted, but satisfying in the end. Hmm... horrible in a way, heart-wrenching, violent, a bit too much sex (although some might find that a plus)... yes. Go watch it.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
hmm i heard naomi watts was really good in it, and she's probably up for an oscar?

what's the movie about?

turtle_2468

HSC
She gives a really powerful performance, and I think she'd be in the running for one. But there are quite a few contenders which have good chances too... (think kidman in cold mountain etc)

For a short synopsis of the start, read the SMH review http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/01/16/1073878018287.html

In a nutshell, it's about people whose lives are connected by a car crash. Nearly the opposite of a romantic comedy I guess, nothing ends up going right. But it's gripping in that way... I should also mention that it's split up in many parts and jumbled, not only with respect to subplots but also to the time of those (as in chronologically jumbled).
But still highly recommended..

ND

HSC
Well i'm with you on Gattaca, so i'll give this one a look...

turtle_2468

HSC
umm... dunno, it was advance screenings yesterday... (or rather last saturday)
I know it's in circular quay dendy (halfway between opera house and station), because that's where we saw it... not sure about big cinemas, check hoyts..

ssssonicyouth

phonic booth
HSC
N/A
i saw that last night and i was really tired, which is the worst possible time to go watch a pretentious slow burn film...

i thought that it was all a bit irritating

like the whole movie is about how sordid life is and then at the end it cuts to this awkward voiceover that rambles on about 'what is gained? what.. is.. gained?'

mm what a profound statement about life.. wanker :)

(only the last 20 mins of the film are like the preview... and by then it has already clocked over 2 hrs. IF you see it, make sure you're awake)

walrusbear

HSC
i quite liked it. i think

the acting was superb, of course, but i'm still trying to work out exactly what was being said. the premise or theme or motif or whatever about life and 21 grams of the soul, yeah.
i guess it was about life and death and stuff
it had a very dark style, gritty style. has anyone seen the guys previous movie 'amores perros'? i haven't, but it seems similar.

if anything, it was fairly inventive and thought provoking...

fucking i'm tired :p

walrusbear

HSC
it was interesting how the path of each character rose and fell as they interacted with each other.
i suppose it was really a sort of look at life that accepts its uncertainties.

anyone have anything smart to say about this? :p
fuck i'm an idiot :(

babyslug

Too School For Cool
HSC
I remember reading somewhere about why the film was called '21 grams' - was it because you lose 21 grams when you die? Or you *gain* 21 grams when you die? I'm quite sure it's lose...

babyslug

Too School For Cool
HSC
Ahh thought so. Of course you would know, turtle! being a doctor it seems?

Melanie Jane

I've seen this and thought it was a fantastic film with very strong performances but it is definitely not for everyone as it is very heavy and potentially confusing for some people.

ssssonicyouth

phonic booth
HSC
N/A
lol

people who are self concious about looking intellegent will love how smart it makes them feel to watch this

there are some interesting characters and they are well acted, but the movie is unforgivably pretentious and painful to watch

if you like it, you are a tool :p

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
finally saw it today, i sat through the first part of it being extremely confused :p but it was pretty good movie, absolutely heart-wrenching when naomi watts was told that her kids were dead... the acting was brilliant, i can see why watts and benicio del toro are up for oscars....

it was kinda twisted, eccentric... the sex was a bit weird lol
but i wouldn't mind watching it again so i can actually understand teh beginning (dammit i'm always like this with movies :p)

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
I found it to be so incredibly boring. It basically felt like the moving was telling me 'oh, im so complicated and deep and tragic so if you are smart you will understand and enjoy me'. It just kept going and going. The acting was pretty good, but what the hell does that matter when you have editing that is there just for the sake of trying to look intelligent breaking up any emotion that could've been gained in the scene. This film took itself way too seriously, and just didn't have the content to back up that tone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)