• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2u ADV Maths for Accoutning?? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Im writing this in this morning before i go to school...i wanna make sure im not making a bad decision....

if i drop from 2u to general maths now....is it a bad career move? as in...will people who have done 3u and 2u get preference over me if i go for any interviews, not just accounting...?

any pros and cons cause i just wanna be sure

thanks

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
yeah and anyway, if dropping maths will let your other marks go up and then you get a higher uai then its great.. if you choose to do a course that doesn't require maths as a prerequiste, and you think you still want to do some there are always bridging type courses available.

so decide what type of course you wanna get in to and if maths is needed before dropping

ps good luck with everything

Nupil

HSC
N/A
I dropped 2 Unit Mathematics to absolutely no maths what-so-ever.

I'm also going to be doing a major in Accounting at UTS ... but if you're planning on going for Accounting Cadetships (Something I highly recommend to all considering a career in accounting!) or an Accounting Scholarship Oppurtunity at UTS or UNSW (It's a Co-op - not an outright sholarship ... but involves interviews and stuff) - they care if you havn't done 2Unit Mathematics ... well then the 3Unit and 4Unit students do get the preference.

However had I continued with 2 Unit Mathematics - I wouldn't have gotten the marks and the UAI I did to get into the degree that allowed me to major in Accounting. Ms 12 is definitely right that if you prove yourself to be highly competent to employers by excelling in your Accounting major - they're not going to care what you did or didn't do in Year 12 ... however being able to stick out the two-year maths course indicates to employers commitment and determination (and that you don't give up half way - like me :D), and those are qualities they want in their employees.

As for dropping down to General - it's not necessarily a bad idea, only that you have to recognise that it's not really recognised by most Universities.

I think it also depends largely on the reasons why you're dropping 2Unit Maths. Is it because you don't like it? Find it far far too difficult? Are bored? ... once you target why you want to drop down, you can see if it's something that can be amended or something you want to amend before you drop down.

And um what do you mean by not just accounting? - I was offered a job at a Stockbrokers firm and am now working for the government ... all without Maths (Actually - with maths for year 11 and a shockingly bad final mark ... and I mean less than 30% shocking :D) so yah.

I'm done ... I think?

*hopeful*

HSC
well i think im a bit late but i just wanted 2 put my 2 cents in
if u dont need for what u want 2 do then its alright
but for accounting sometimes theres a pre-requisite of 2unit maths (adv)

Malazn Pleasure

External Auditor
HSC
if u want a career in accounting u may want to consider doing 2u maths

not 2u general maths

most subjects at uni for accounting hv basic 2u maths

im doing commerce (accounting, banking & finance) part time and work full time as an auditor for a CA firm so u might wana do 2u maths instead

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)