• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

2U maths with 4U (1 Viewer)

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
i know that once you take up ext2 maths, ext1 maths becomes 2 units, and ext2 becomes 2 units, giving a total of 4 units.

but what happens to 2u maths? i noticed that this year ext2 maths HSC exam ran at the same time as the 2u maths exam, so you cant do both, in case you dont feel all that confident in ext 2.

i have also heard that you get an automatic band 6 in 2u maths if you do ext 2 maths. is this true?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Sphyx said:
i know that once you take up ext2 maths, ext1 maths becomes 2 units, and ext2 becomes 2 units, giving a total of 4 units.

but what happens to 2u maths? i noticed that this year ext2 maths HSC exam ran at the same time as the 2u maths exam, so you cant do both, in case you dont feel all that confident in ext 2.

i have also heard that you get an automatic band 6 in 2u maths if you do ext 2 maths. is this true?
You don't do 2 u maths anymore. And you don't automatically get a band 6 in 2 u, they just assume you will highly likely to get a band 6, so you don't sit the exam.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
ahh ok
i was wonderin about all the 4 unit people...
so they dont hav 2 do 2 unit anymore
they can do it but it doesnt count?
yeah?

grimreaper

HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
ahh ok
i was wonderin about all the 4 unit people...
so they dont hav 2 do 2 unit anymore
they can do it but it doesnt count?
yeah?
No they cant do 2u maths, just ext 1 and 2. The 2u exam is on at the same time as ext 2 anyway

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
4U students learn the entire 2U, Ext 1 and Ext 2 syllabus...however, after about 1 or 2 terms of 4U u stop doing 2U assessment tasks, and u dont sit the 2U HSC exam. 4U is a mark out of 100, and 3U is converted to a mark out of 100, thus giving u 200 marks=4 Units.

it is expected that had a 4U person sat the 2U exam they'd get band 6, it is a myth that 4U ppl automatically get 100% in 2U or other such nonsense

wanton-wonton

HSC
Sphyx said:

Yes, that is true, they assume you get 100 for 2U. But thing is, you don't get a band because you don't sit for the exam, nor do you do the assessment tasks....well not for my school anyway.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Could I tell my school that I no longer want to sit for 2 unit exams, and they would have to accept this?

EDIT: I do extension 2 maths and am good at it - there's no way I would drop it.

Last edited:

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Could I tell my school that I no longer want to sit for 2 unit exams, and they would have to accept this?

EDIT: I do extension 2 maths and am good at it - there's no way I would drop it.
at my school you do HAVE to do all the 2u assesments up until the half-yearlies, after which if you kick arse then you dont have to do them anymore.

townie said:
4U students learn the entire 2U, Ext 1 and Ext 2 syllabus...however, after about 1 or 2 terms of 4U u stop doing 2U assessment tasks, and u dont sit the 2U HSC exam. 4U is a mark out of 100, and 3U is converted to a mark out of 100, thus giving u 200 marks=4 Units.

it is expected that had a 4U person sat the 2U exam they'd get band 6, it is a myth that 4U ppl automatically get 100% in 2U or other such nonsense
so let me get this straight, once and for all, 2u maths WILL NOT appear at all on the HSC testamur, or whatever it is? you cant use it as a back-up 2 units if you dont do well at ext2 maths???
i feel confident about ext2 maths at the moment, but i want to know for the future.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Sphyx: It wont appear on your testamur and you cant use it as a backup if you continue with 4 unit maths

Slide_Rule: I think BoS requires you to stay in 2 unit for a certain time in case a student doesnt want to continue 4 unit later on, they still have learnt the 2 unit work

grimreaper

HSC
Actually, the bos doesnt have any requirements like that - its completely up to the school\students whether 4u people do 2u tests

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
wanton-wonton said:
Yes, that is true, they assume you get 100 for 2U. But thing is, you don't get a band because you don't sit for the exam, nor do you do the assessment tasks....well not for my school anyway.
No they dont. They assume Band 6. Not 100.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
wrx said:
Which is why my schools criteria to enter 4 unit maths is to average 90+ in the prelim

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Sphyx said:
so let me get this straight, once and for all, 2u maths WILL NOT appear at all on the HSC testamur, or whatever it is? you cant use it as a back-up 2 units if you dont do well at ext2 maths???
Yes, you may study 2U maths and Ext 2 maths concurrently up until the trials (although this is unusual as most people will have made up their minds by this stage).
However, you cannot sit for both the 2U and Ext 2 HSC exams - you must choose one or the other.

Btw. anything you hear about BOS reporting a "100" for 2U if you do Ext 2 is bull****. That would defeat the purpose of actually having a top 20 as they would all be Ext 2 students. BOS assumes that Ext 2 students would have got a Band 6 in 2U had they done it, but it isn't officially reported.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
incidently at my scool we have accelerated 2u hsc in yr 11, and thats how they select the 4u students (some can come from 3u if theyre extremely good)...soon as u start 4u maths at our scool (term 4 year11 i.e first term of year 12) u dont do 2u nemore

VQ

HSC
Umm...I am taking 4u now but I am not confident with it at all...

If I continue with my 4u up to the HSC time, I will receive band 6 for my 2u no matter how I scored on my 4u, eh? So even if I end up with 50% on my 4u, will I still get band 6 for my 2u?

I am taking 14 units now and only 10 which counts, right? So in case that my scaled mark for 4u is the lowest and being left out, will I still eligible for band 6 of math 2u?

Target UAI:96++, if possible 99++

(Bio, Phy, Chem, 4uMath, ESL, IBS)Which 1 2 drop? Any suggestions? Bio/4u?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
VQ said:

If I continue with my 4u up to the HSC time, I will receive band 6 for my 2u no matter how I scored on my 4u, eh? So even if I end up with 50% on my 4u, will I still get band 6 for my 2u?

I am taking 14 units now and only 10 which counts, right? So in case that my scaled mark for 4u is the lowest and being left out, will I still eligible for band 6 of math 2u?

No you can't "use" the supposed band 6 in 2u, you dont get a band 6 in 2u along with your 4u unless you accelerated, in which case the most recent exam sat will be used.

EDIT: you can attach a signature automatically to all your posts if you go into user cp up the top and go to "edit signature"

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
wrx said:
It is assumed that had you sat the 2 unit exam you would have gotten:

Band 6 if you got band E3 and E4.

Band 5 if you got band E2 and E1.

Of course this doesn't really matter since it doesnt affect your results.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
VQ said:

No.
You must choose either 2U maths or Ext 2 maths before completing the HSC exam.
If you choose to do Ext 2 and you end up with 50% you will get 50%. You can't simply revert back to 2U after you've realised you did badly. And the assumption of a Band 6 in 2U is not official. You don't receive 90+ in 2U for merely trying out Ext 2 and dropping it. If you choose to drop Ext 2, you must then do the HSC 2U exam unless you have accelerated a previous year.

EDIT: And in addition, if you were doing Ext 2 maths but decided to drop down to Ext 1, this does not mean that you will automatically attain a Band 6 in 2U maths. You must sit for all the internal 2U assessments and the final HSC exam in order to be given a mark for 2U.

Last edited:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Supra said:
incidently at my scool we have accelerated 2u hsc in yr 11, and thats how they select the 4u students (some can come from 3u if theyre extremely good)...soon as u start 4u maths at our scool (term 4 year11 i.e first term of year 12) u dont do 2u nemore
That's kind of risky isn't it?
I'm sure there are a fair number of people who do Ext 2 and then wish to drop back down. You're far better off doing well in 2U (95+) than getting a mark even as high as 75 in Ext 2.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
i dont c the risk, they can drop back down if they want to (into 3u)...and i forgot to add that when we did 2u hsc in year 11 we did 3u work as well of course

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)