• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

3u maths 2 unit or general .. (1 Viewer)

Mdzabakly

HSC
Hey, I'm in prelim ATM , doing 13 units, I have 3 unit math ATM, but I'm finding it hard too concentrate on it , I've only done 2 tests do far ( on 2 unit subs ) and scored 89 and 72 . Idk I I should stay in 3 unit and see how I go ( at least for this year) then I ccould dropp to 2 unit, however I think this may not be such a good idea, since once I get into the class I would have been ahea and would probably not be bothered 2 do work at all ( which would affect my marks . So should I sooo to 2 unit now , or wait ? Or maybe I should just drop 2 general, since they haven't gone so far , I've seen the textbook and I've done almost all of its basics , and our tests are easy , so I could prob get 100%s, ( because although I'm pretty good at maths , im really not able to sit down and work on it that much anymore... It's so damn boring for me !!) . Doing general would be a load off my back ( since its a Easter workload, and I dont have to see member so muh uber complex equations ) whih I could use for my other subjects...

Sorry if I sound wrong or something or stupid xD

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Please correct me if I understood you wrongly:

- You are in Year 11
- You are currently doing Extension 1 Mathematics and doing ~decently~ in it so far.
- You feel unmotivated in class because you feel that it is a boring subject, even though you are able to do it.

And your question is: "Should I do 3U, 2U or General Mathematics?"

enoilgam

HSC
I would stick to what you have at the moment. Just put in your best for all subjects and see what happens. Remember, this is prelim, so doing badly isnt really going to hurt you at all. Once you get to the end of the year, then start deciding on what to drop and what to keep.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad

- You are in Year 11
- You are currently doing Extension 1 Mathematics and doing ~decently~ in it so far.
- You feel unmotivated in class because you feel that it is a boring subject, even though you are able to do it.

I too, would like this clarified, lol.

Mdzabakly

HSC

- You are in Year 11

Umm yea, pretty much, I'm usually pretty good maths and I'm pretty much 2nd so
Far in assessment for 2 unit ( no 3 unit subjects or tests do far ) but for 3 unit we have so do 2 hours of maths extra . I have no problem sittin for Study but .. 2 hours of math , at home I can hardly do 1 medium hard problem in an hour ( because of procastination and headaches) I think If I go 2 the 2 unit class I would probably get 90+ cuz the teacher is really good, and I've had him for a whole and I'll be at the same subs than the 2 unit class instead of being ahead ( an forgetting all the stuff)

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
I think it seems pretty clear that you should stick with 3 unit till the end of prelim and decide whether to drop then - last thing you want is to drop now and wish you hadn't later on.

Don't drop to general, btw, your boredom will be 1000x worse. Try and stick with 3 unit but if not, then 2 unit sounds good.

I take it you don't need 3 unit for uni?

Mdzabakly

HSC
I think it seems pretty clear that you should stick with 3 unit till the end of prelim and decide whether to drop then - last thing you want is to drop now and wish you hadn't later on.

Don't drop to general, btw, your boredom will be 1000x worse. Try and stick with 3 unit but if not, then 2 unit sounds good.

I take it you don't need 3 unit for uni?
no, i wanna do med at uws, so all i need is 93.5, which is acheivable.
my biggest problem with maths is the 2 hours on a wensday when we are supposed to do maths only... its really Demoralising.. and makes me even sicker every time i do it...
i don't want to end up in 2 unit at the start of year 12 with no motivation for maths... which is sad because im depending on maths in case i get bad marks for my other subjects XDD

theind1996

HSC
N/A
no, i wanna do med at uws, so all i need is 93.5, which is acheivable.
my biggest problem with maths is the 2 hours on a wensday when we are supposed to do maths only... its really Demoralising.. and makes me even sicker every time i do it...
i don't want to end up in 2 unit at the start of year 12 with no motivation for maths... which is sad because im depending on maths in case i get bad marks for my other subjects XDD
To get into Medicine, I'd recommend you to keep 3u until the end of this year at least, since it's high scaling too, so if you find yourself enjoying it later on, it could benefit your ATAR a great deal. What other subjects do you do?

Mdzabakly

HSC
To get into Medicine, I'd recommend you to keep 3u until the end of this year at least, since it's high scaling too, so if you find yourself enjoying it later on, it could benefit your ATAR a great deal. What other subjects do you do?
my subjects are ...
legal studies- Assesment rank 1/22 ( 100% assesment so far)
ancient history 1/9 ( 90% assesment so far)
bio ( no assesment but im pretty high , im probably ahead of my class mates since i constantly study and already have notes)
hospitaltity ( no tests but im sure ill prob get band 6
adv english (=2nd, off by one mark in my essay assesment 66% (10/15)
3 units of math ( 2nd in 2 unit no 3 unit topics or tests done)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^I'd keep 3u for longer to see esp. as I believe you have the capability to do 3U, but please tell me you'll never go into general ok?

Mdzabakly

HSC
^I'd keep 3u for longer to see esp. as I believe you have the capability to do 3U, but please tell me you'll never go into general ok?
lol, idk, i though , if i went 2 general and exel ( 100% and such) then i could use time 2 study more on other subjects, and maybe get 90s ( which is my hope but im not sure how well i can do so far ), i'd probably keep to adv but idk ..

Coookies

HSC
I don't know if this is any help but I dropped 3u because I had no motivation to go to afternoon classes(I absolutely hated going) and the 2u and 3u homework often got mixed up. It got to the point where I wasn't listening in class and just taking pictures of what my teacher wrote on the board and never writing it down later. So I didn't do any maths homework for about a term and so that affected my 2u as well.

It seems like you're pretty smart and you're capable of doing 3u but if you have no motivation, whats the point?

Mdzabakly

HSC
I don't know if this is any help but I dropped 3u because I had no motivation to go to afternoon classes(I absolutely hated going) and the 2u and 3u homework often got mixed up. It got to the point where I wasn't listening in class and just taking pictures of what my teacher wrote on the board and never writing it down later. So I didn't do any maths homework for about a term and so that affected my 2u as well.

It seems like you're pretty smart and you're capable of doing 3u but if you have no motivation, whats the point?
thats exactly how i feel. Also i think if i stay in the 2 unit class id get higher marks 90+, since in 3 unit atm were just doing alot of 2 unit subs ( my 3 unit class is one class 4 2 and 3 unit) so when i do the 2 unit test im so ahead sometimes i only get 80s and 70s, since i forgot about it all.

Coookies

HSC
Yeah same, I hate being ahead because I just forget stuff.

Mdzabakly

HSC
thanks cookies, I think ill probably go down, just enquiring, did you drop 2 two unit? and how well are you doing so far?

theind1996

HSC
N/A
thanks cookies, I think ill probably go down, just enquiring, did you drop 2 two unit? and how well are you doing so far?
.... What was the point of using "2" for "to", yet using "two unit" rather than "2 unit"?..

Coookies

HSC
Yeah I'm doing adv maths now. Well, I've never really been the "smart" type but I'm slowly improving. Like now I actually know all the topics and each little bit of each topic rather than everything being a big blur of 2u and 3u.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)