3u maths + 3u eng HSC combo (1 Viewer)

libestraumno3

HSC
hmm so apparently doing both 3u subjects are bad and lowers your atar??? my tutor said they combine them and stuff which decreases the aggregate so if anyone knows ab this pls let me know.

its just i do both atm and im surprisingly enjoying english BUT i do not want to drop 3u maths so im def keeping it. if im good enough i HOPE to pick up 4u maths and thats where ill drop a 2u subject (most likely modh) and/or 3u eng

but yea i just wanna know if anyone knows about the 3u combo being negative towards your atar. im hoping for at least 96+ but ideally around 98+

Last edited:

moonsuyoung

HSC
Hi!
I have the exact same dilemma as well right now with my subject selections and planning to drop 2u english for 4u maths when I do my HSC. Hopefully someone has a good explanation for this 😭 😭 😭

carrotsss

HSC
hmm so apparently doing both 3u are bad and lowers your atar??? my tutor said they combine them and stuff which decreases the aggregate so if anyone knows ab this pls let me know.
Your tutor is dumb, why would that make any sense

Your scaled marks have no impact on other subjects and then they are all added together to form your aggregate - there’s no “combining” and so they obviously don’t understand the ATAR system at all

libestraumno3

HSC
i forgot exactly what he said but since theyr both 1u they combine them or something as a 2u 😭 i wasnt paying attnetion but he just said not to do both 3u for hsc

carrotsss

HSC
i forgot exactly what he said but since theyr both 1u they combine them or something as a 2u 😭 i wasnt paying attnetion but he just said not to do both 3u for hsc
They both count as 1 unit but they’re not being combined lmao, that’s like saying that chem and phys combine into 4 units because they’re both 2u subjects, like yeah I guess it’s true but that doesn’t mean it actually does anything

What he might’ve been trying to say is that it’s a lot of work for only 2 extra units but that’s a different story entirely and is kinda fixed by scaling

libestraumno3

HSC
They both count as 1 unit but they’re not being combined lmao, that’s like saying that chem and phys combine into 4 units because they’re both 2u subjects, like yeah I guess it’s true but that doesn’t mean it actually does anything

What he might’ve been trying to say is that it’s a lot of work for only 2 extra units but that’s a different story entirely and is kinda fixed by scaling
hmm he didnt quite put it like that

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
If its Mr Mai, I'd say its most likely very reliable- I mean the dude literally is a director of Ngo and Sons

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
not mr mai saying that 😱😱😱
i think i get wat u mean
iirc, what he said to us was that if u do 3u math its a waste bcuz that extra one unit will only boost one of ur other subjects or something along those lines yeah? I think what he meant was that lets say ur on 11, if u do 3u adn physics is ur worst subject, ur one unit for physics is replaced with that one unit for maths.
But if u do 3u eng and math that doesn't apply because ur on 10 units which is even so im not sure what he meant when he said that to you

Last edited:

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
do u still have the recording for that lesson?
u could play it back and see if u misinterpreted it or something

hscgirl

HSC
hmm so apparently doing both 3u subjects are bad and lowers your atar??? my tutor said they combine them and stuff which decreases the aggregate so if anyone knows ab this pls let me know.

its just i do both atm and im surprisingly enjoying english BUT i do not want to drop 3u maths so im def keeping it. if im good enough i HOPE to pick up 4u maths and thats where ill drop a 2u subject (most likely modh) and/or 3u eng

but yea i just wanna know if anyone knows about the 3u combo being negative towards your atar. im hoping for at least 96+ but ideally around 98+
wtf how does doing doing 2 3u subjects lowers your atar? thats actually the dumbest and most senseless thing i've heard all day

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Essentially, the ATAR is a rank that is based on an aggregate of scaled marks in 10 units. The aggregate is out of 500, as each unit is equal to 50. From this perspective, and consistent with carrotsss's suggestions, the individual subjects (both Extension and non-Extension subjects) and the particular combination of subjects that each student has do not pose a negative effect on the student's ATAR, i.e. these are not inherent characteristics. Instead, the only factor that negatively affects a student's ATAR is unfavourable performance in one (or more) of the student's subjects.

Perhaps this person was trying to establish the point that taking both Mathematics Extension 1 and English Extension 1 under a combination of subjects that amounts to 12 units for example, would undermine the significance of the performance (not the performance itself) of a student in Mathematics Advanced or English Advanced. Consider a case where a student's performance in Mathematics Advanced and/or English Advanced was of a good standard, but was not sufficiently high for both subjects to contribute two units each towards the student's ATAR. In such a case, Mathematics Extension 1 and/or English Extension 1 would count towards the student's ATAR, halving the contribution of Mathematics Advanced and/or English Advanced to one unit each.

Their point could be that the student would have been better off not taking Mathematics Extension 1 and/or English Extension 1 and should have instead focused all their efforts on optimising their performance in Mathematics Advanced and/or English Advanced as this could have resulted in a higher aggregate when compared to the case where Mathematics Extension 1 and/or English Extension 1 count towards the student's ATAR.

I hope this helps! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)