3u speaking - how long did you speak for? (1 Viewer)

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
this years HSC candidature

French: 1290

Japanese : 1239

but perhaps the people who study japanese are more likely to be smarter, or more computer literate, more likely to use this forum.

El Cid

It's so weird then that I've only ever met one person here who does 3U French. And she only has made one post so far.

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
haha those frenchies cannot use ze computer

OR they are studying HARD! uh oh.

El Cid

Ze computer? B oui, je sais ou peut-tre qu'ils refusent d'utiliser certaines choses comme a qui ne sont pas cool :cool: C'est seulement pour les gens qui ne sortent jamais.

I was wondering, do you have the male and female breakdown with the HSC entries in both subjects? Judging from what I saw at the exams, girls outnumber the guys heavily and I would assume that it's the same for Japanese?

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
the other figures were just off the top of my head

i dont know the guy / girl breakdown but im sure you could find it somewhere. with japanese its more evened out i think

i think the proportion of guys studying japanese is higher than those studying french. from memory at the speaking exams it was about half half. but then you can never be sure.
also i think japanese is a bit more of a business language. and french is like a romantic language. but then thats sexist isn't it.
oh well
ps i think japanese is more similar to maths and french more similar to english. .. well thats just my strange idea.
but i think japanese is a bit similar to maths. because it makes sense. it is logical

El Cid

I agree with most of what you say. There are some things in French that you just cant teach someone, you just need to get a feel for it. There are a lot of ways of saying the same thing, and I couldn't really explain it to someone when to say each. Its actually more complicated in Spanish they have a couple more tenses than in French although some arent in everyday use and are only found in written text. Of course theres no kanji so reading is never a problem.

I've never thought about it before, but there are only 3 verb tenses in English - is that right? I go, I went, I have gone. French has about 10 Id say, and Spanish a couple more maybe 13. How many does Japanese have?

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
not very many

all verbs have the same ending, so its just a generic ending

one for past, one for present....

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
ああ 日本語で書くことができますよ。  じゃ、 ここで練習して見たいと思います

English also has a present ongoing clause "I am going" All others don't change the ending.

Japanese do have the generic ending, as most variations of the ending consists of stickig another verb (whether special or not) onto a particular form of the original original verb.
I'm not writing them in Japanese.:p

El Cid

You're right BlackJack. I don't think any other language has an equivalent for that tense. Also English verbs change for the third person, for example I walk but he walks. By the way, what quote of mine were you going to immortalise?

meaty

ERRRR....

WTF is "baka na inu" ?!

Are you trying to sound technical?!

It's not even right!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)