• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

4u maths as a prerequisite (1 Viewer)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I think most are assummed knowledge. Not pre-requisites.

asdf

HSC
Not many degrees now days with prerequesites (damn spelling) other than standard english. I think actuarial has 4u assumed knowledge @ unsw.

^___^
HSC
asdf said:
Not many degrees now days with prerequesites (damn spelling) other than standard english. I think actuarial has 4u assumed knowledge @ unsw.
assumed is not pre req

FinalFantasy

HSC
wrx said:
so u have to have done 4u to be able to put that course down?
i doubt it.. if that course BSc needs 4u... den y isn't actuarial have a 4u prerequisite? cuz i think actuarial is harder....

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
advanced mathematics in BSc (Adv Sci) at Usyd or UNSW
adv maths does not have 4u as pre req.. tho from personal experience, doin 4u is a big advantage...

@ ... : i can't believe how low u have dropped... sighz at sig...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Unless I'm mistaken, nothing is a pre-requisite anymore

mack

Banned
HSC
You can get into any degree with any subject combo....except you may have difficulty if you haven't studied "assumed knowledge" subs, correct?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
^ Correct, except for say obscure music, arts or non0advanced English things.

So generally when somebody says "pre-requisite", since they no longer exist, I presume they mean "assumed knowledge", otherwise what the hell is the point of the question?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Slide Rule said:
At UNSW, maths-heavy units have it as a prerequisite.
Is that true? But you said in the previous post that u know there are no prerequisites, so which one is it?
Slide Rule said:
At any other uni, it is just highly highly recommended you do it.

For example if you wanted to be an actuary or a mathematician or wanted to do electrical engineering (or photovoltaics, et cetera), it is pretty much assumed you took 4unit maths.

My cousin tried to do Electrical Engineering - he got 100.00, but only took 3U maths. He dropped out at the end of 1st year because he couldn't handle such a large jump in the level of maths and mathematical thinking. Did medicine instead.

There's no bridging course for 4unit maths.

If you're afraid of 4unit screwing you over, why not do 11/12 units and take 4unit, and if in the end it screws you over (which I doubt it will), you can either drop 4unit to make 2unit count, or keep it and have the 11th/12th unit(s) back you up.
Slide why do u keep telling me conflicting ideas?

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Read my post above. Pre-requisites don't exist. I assume you mean "assumed knowledge" (AK), which is the nice way of saying "you're probably screwed if you don't do this". Only probably, though. You're smart - I'm sure you could work around AK.

But for UNSW there are "pre-requisites". Here, I'll show you:

Advanced Maths and Actuarial Studies:

"Higher Mathematics 1 is intended for those who did well in Mathematics Extension 1 and Extension 2 or exceptionally well in Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1. If you got 190 or more in Extension 1 plus Extension 2, we strongly encourage you to do Higher Mathematics. If you got a mark in the range 186-189 in Extension 1 plus Extension 2 or 145-150 out of 150 in Mathematics plus Mathematics Extension 1 and you would like to do Higher Mathematics, discuss this with one of the Mathematics enrolment advisers on enrolment day."
-From: http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/students/future/choosingcourses.html

"MATH1081 Discrete Mathematics, MATH1090 Discrete Mathematics and MATH1131 Mathematics 1A assume knowledge of HSC Mathematics Extension 1. Students will be expected to have achieved at least a result in Band E3.

MATH1141 Higher Mathematics 1A assumes knowledge of HSC Mathematics Extension 1 and Extension 2. Students will be expected to have achieved a result in Band E4 in Mathematics Extension 2.

MATH1151 Mathematics for Actuarial Studies and Finance assumes knowledge of HSC Mathematics Extension 1 or preferably Extension 2. Students will be expected to have achieved a high result in Band E4 in Mathematics Extension 1 or a result in Band E4 in Mathematics Extension 2.
"
- From http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/students/future/mathsknowledge.html

As for USyd, I'm actually not sure, I think they are more lenient. That's not to say that if you don't meet these lvels you can't do the degrees above, but that you'd probably have to fight quite hard to get into them.

If I contradict myself, it is not intentional.

So, at least for Actuarial and Advanced Maths at UNSW, I hope that is settled once and for all.

Last edited:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
for math1151 and math1251 for actuarial studies and finance/math degrees, all u need to know is complex numbers (that's all i found useful from 4u for uni maths). it isnt as covered in as much depth as the 4u as they emphasise the algebra of complex numbers rather than geometric applications. the rest of these courses is new for high schoolers.

electrical engineering subjects r rigged for ppl to get 100.

advanced maths in BSc (Adv Sci) is a good way to compete with usyd. i hope ppl choose unsw. but i reckon unsw's tsp is non-existent.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
FinalFantasy said:
i doubt it.. if that course BSc needs 4u... den y isn't actuarial have a 4u prerequisite? cuz i think actuarial is harder....
I don't think BSc needs 4U as prereq.

Actuarial requires 3U as a prereq, and if you don't do 4U you have to overload in first sem and take extra maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)