• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

4unit maths vs 3unit maths calculations? (1 Viewer)

mercedes

Okay, I still don't get this.

How does 4u maths mark calculations work for both internal and external assessment.

Also how does 3 u maths work.

Is the 4unit maths calculated as like 2+2? or 3+1? or?? is the 4unit component scaled 2x more than the 3unit component for 4unit maths?

For 3 unit maths, is the 2unit maths scaled more or less than the 3 unit component?

thanks greatly in advance.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
When you do 4unit maths, your 2u work won't get counted.

So, it's 2 of (4unit) components plus 2 of (3unit) components.

Mark calculation isn't different with other subjects, it's your internal assessments that determines your rank and ultimately your modified (aligned) class marks, then you got your external assessment (HSC exam) which will be used to derive your aligned exam mark, and you got your HSC mark, which is the average of the previous two.

Aligning for 4unit maths is big, and the scaling is also big :). 3unit maths scaling is also big.

for 3unit maths, i think the 2unit maths is scaled less than the 3unit component.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
The 4U component is worth 2 units (and so /100). The 3U component is worth 2 units (also /100).

The amount of scaling for each paper is different every year, and depends on the difficulty of the test (as in, was this years 2U harder than last years) as well as the course canditure. This usually means 3U is scaled better, since the're normally the elitie 2U paper students, but it's not necisarily always the case.

I hope this has made it clearer ...

EDIT: What underthesun said ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)