• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

5 1/4 Inch Floppy (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohne

HSC
Is anyone else here still running a 5 1/4 inch floppy drive? I believe my computer may be in contention for the fastest computer in Australia with a 5 1/4 floppy drive (AMD Duron 1.3ghz).

5 1/4 inch floppy discs are so much more practical than 3 1/2's as they are lighter and easier to store. Any thoughts?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
you can't put them in your pocket...

besides nobody uses floppies anymore, it is either CD-RW or USB drive

floppies are dead

ohne

HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890

floppies are dead

Most new systems still contain floppy drives. Floppies are much faster and easier to use than CD-RW. Floppies are good enough for what they are used for, word documents, spreadsheets, webpages etc.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC

floppies are dead
i still use floppy disks coz their way cheaper than usb drives- even though i use that too. :D

J0n

N/A
HSC
Wtf?? why would you use a 5 1 /4 inch floppy?? they are so huge - we used to have one in our 486, but we replaced it with a CD drive. They may be a fraction lighter than the 3 1/2 inch, but easier to store?? How can that be, since they are so huge. Anyway, as jm1234567890 said, no one uses any floppies anymore(although i still use them for boot disks)

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
Not to mention that the old 5.25' disks (720 kb IIRC) store less than the 3.5' disks (1.44 Mb).

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by ohne
Is anyone else here still running a 5 1/4 inch floppy drive? I believe my computer may be in contention for the fastest computer in Australia with a 5 1/4 floppy drive (AMD Duron 1.3ghz).

5 1/4 inch floppy discs are so much more practical than 3 1/2's as they are lighter and easier to store. Any thoughts?
I still have the drive, but I don't want to stick it in because they're useless. I don't have blanks and they're not even big enough for a Word document. No to mention there are BETTER uses for a drive bay.

floppies are dead
Not yet, but they're on the way. When parents die, then floppies will be dead.
Most new systems still contain floppy drives. Floppies are much faster and easier to use than CD-RW. Floppies are good enough for what they are used for, word documents, spreadsheets, webpages etc.
Floppies are still too damn slow. Flash drives may be more expensive per unit, but for the capacity, compatibility and convenience they are superior.
Originally posted by freaking_out
i still use floppy disks coz their way cheaper than usb drives- even though i use that too. :D
My laptop doesn't have a floppy drive, so I need to buy a flash drive. Any suggestions?
Originally posted by deviant
floppy disks get screwed realy easily
YES. Magnets, anyone?
Originally posted by wogboy
Not to mention that the old 5.25' disks (720 kb IIRC) store less than the 3.5' disks (1.44 Mb).
Precisely. Wimpy little f--kers.

I still have some stuck to my wall though. The install disks for Windows 3.1 :D

Winston

HSC

ROFL not true... you'd be lucky to find one in a laptop now, they are optional parts now, and some laptops don't even allow it to be optioned, forcing you purchase a USB floppy drive.

DELL don't provide floppy drives on their systems as well, it's optional...

Floppy my friend is the one that unreliable and slow, and old, and just a obsolete, floppy is too unsecure, it's so easy to damage and lose all your data, and sometimes it becomes imcompatible across systems, i've had times it couldn't read at all.

J0n

N/A
HSC
Yeah, floppies are so unreliable, everytime i took something to school on one, i would always put it on at least 2-3 disks.

teh winnar!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!
Originally posted by Lexicographer
(5.25" floppies are) Wimpy little f--kers.

I still have some stuck to my wall though. The install disks for Windows 3.1 :D
AHAHAHAHA NERD AHOY!

yet so uncool it's kind of cool o_O

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
...My laptop doesn't have a floppy drive, so I need to buy a flash drive. Any suggestions?..
well, i got mine from arc computers for like 50 bucks or something- i reckon that u shuld get it from ebay- its prolly cheaper there! :D

fatmuscle

HSC
ppfft!

5.25"... go the 8" floppies!!!!

flashpens/drives are not 'that' expensive. You'll realise how convenient and useful they are when you have one. I paid $125 for a 256Mb one and loving it.
I carry it with my set of keys so it goes whereever i go.

if you're looking for places to get them, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!!! There's a stickied thread in the IT section about computer stores. go read yourself.

ohne

HSC
Originally posted by wogboy
Actually, there are 5.25 inch discs that can hold 1.2mb. Similar to the 3.5 inch discs where they were originally 720kb and then went up to 1.44mb.

No matter who you are, 1.2mb is enough for word/spreadsheet/database/webpage documents without heavy graphics.

ohne

HSC
Originally posted by fatmuscle
ppfft!

5.25"... go the 8" floppies!!!!

Thats the good thing about 5.25 inch floppies. About 8 of them is as thick and weighs as much as one 3.5 inch.

ohne

HSC
Originally posted by Winston
ROFL not true... you'd be lucky to find one in a laptop now, they are optional parts now, and some laptops don't even allow it to be optioned, forcing you purchase a USB floppy drive.

DELL don't provide floppy drives on their systems as well, it's optional...

Floppy my friend is the one that unreliable and slow, and old, and just a obsolete, floppy is too unsecure, it's so easy to damage and lose all your data, and sometimes it becomes imcompatible across systems, i've had times it couldn't read at all.
Perhaps the reason DELL is in such financial trouble at the moment is because they don't provide floppies with their systems?

Winston

HSC
Perhaps the reason DELL is in such financial trouble at the moment is because they don't provide floppies with their systems?

Perhaps your just ignorant?

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I don't think so. My laptop doesn't have a floppy drive (if I need one I could always get a pnp one).. then again it doesn't have a cd drive either... and i don't use either of them. a cd/dvd drive would be useful but is unnecessary. a floppy drive is utterly pointless - what am i going to store which is < 1.44mb?

i love usb.

ohne

HSC
Originally posted by Winston
Perhaps your just ignorant?
Maybe I am, but the fact is most people prefer floppy discs over newer technologies as they are cheap, reliable and are good enough for what they are needed for. (Not to mention they exist in almost all systems, besides those of a struggling computer company).

5.25's are another story all together...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)