• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

8 Year Old Girl Murdered (1 Viewer)

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Charges laid after girl killed in Perth shopping centre
Wednesday June 28, 2006
An eight-year-old girl allegedly murdered in a Perth shopping centre was attacked while her uncle and brother were just metres away, knocking on the door of the disabled toilet where she died, police believe.

A 21-year-old man was charged Tuesday over the death of Sofia Rodrigez-Urrutia-Shu, who police believe was snatched at random before allegedly being sexually assaulted and killed at the Livingstone Market shopping centre in suburban Canning Vale.

The schoolgirl, from the neighbouring suburb of Banjup, left her uncle, 14-year-old brother and 11-year-old sister to go to a toilet in the shopping centre at about 4pm (WST) Monday, police said.

They got no response when they knocked on the locked door of the disabled toilet, where police say the girl was probably being attacked at the time.

After searching the car park, her brother returned to the toilets and found Sofia's naked body on the toilet floor, as a man fled the scene.

The boy briefly gave chase before returning to his sister's body, police said.

Her clothes were found piled nearby.

"We are all devastated by the sudden and senseless loss of Sofia," her family said in a statement issued through police.

"Please keep Sofia and our family in your thoughts and prayers."

Police who went to a house in Canning Vale on Tuesday later charged a man with wilful murder, deprivation of liberty and two counts of sexual penetration.

Dante Wyndham Arthurs, of Canning Vale, appeared briefly in Perth Magistrates Court Tuesday afternoon, and was remanded in custody to reappear on July 11.

Detective Senior Sergeant John Wibberley said it was not clear whether Sofia had wandered into the disabled toilet or had been snatched from the female toilets.

A post-mortem examination is expected to confirm the cause of death on Wednesday.

Sgt Wibberley said the girl's father had flown back from a business trip in Hong Kong to be with his family.

"The family is absolutely distraught as you can imagine," he said.

"It is probably the worst nightmare for any family with a young child.

"It's a horrific offence against an innocent young child who ... has just made the fatal mistake of being in the wrong place at the wrong time," he said.

In their statement, Sofia's family said they had received "immense support" from the police, the parish and from the school community.

"We ...ask that you respect our privacy and allow us to deal with our grief," the family said.

Dozens of police officers were at the shopping centre Tuesday, examining the scene and surveillance footage and interviewing witnesses and shopping centre employees.

Brooke McCaffree, 22, who works as a shop assistant at a gift shop next door to the toilets, said she was "absolutely disgusted".

"I just don't understand how this could happen, we live in a nice suburb," she said.

"The fact that I was there serving customers as this was happening in the next room, is just diabolical."

©AAP 2006
The most distressing part of this story for the police, and probably the judiciary, was that a sexual assault case in relation to another 8 year old female against the alleged offender, was dismissed due the inadmissibility of the admission made by this grub.

Detectives were alleged to have acted aggressively and subsequently 'impaired' the rational response by the accused; the basic laws against improperly obtained evidence. Obviously there must be safeguards relating to such issues, however when scenario's like this occur, it throws a whole new spanner into the works..

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
He strangled her.

Bet he won't get life though. ****ing Australian legal system.

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
No, not fucking Australian legal system, just that part of the Crimes Act that concerns sexual assault of a minor. If you want to complain about anything for the amount of time he will or will not get sentenced, complain about that little bit of the law.

The legal system has nothing to do with how long a sentence is when parliament writes up law.

Optophobia

HSC
Are you stupid?

He murdered her. Life imprisonment is available for the offence of murder. And the legal system IS to blame, because its the legal system as a whole which has been infiltrated by this wishy washy mushy hippy crap that lets slime like this off.

Though, i do appreciate your attempt at intellectualism. It's just too bad that it backfired is all.

ledzeppelin

HSC
Should be tied up in a room and left for a while with one of the victim's family

lala2

Banned
HSC
Total f***wit, hope he rots with his conscience in jail. Though someone likely to commit that kind of crime on that kind of vulnerable victim is not likely to haev a conscience in the first place.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Moonlight (Light and Offbeat News) said:
Elements of the guideline

As morbid as this may be, I will therefore lay out a guideline for future considerations. When deciding whether a murder story should be placed in the main area or the Light & Offbeat News area, consideration should be had as to:

(1) Whether the news story is major. Front-page news reports and extensive television coverage will be indicative of this.

(2) Whether the news story is unique from ordinary cases. This involves any unusual circumstances and important features that are striking and controversial.

(3) Whether the news story raises important issues for discussion. If the news story is backed by points for discussion - such as the rate of violence or sexual assault in Australia, etc. (Additionally, the topics raised should not already be actively in discussion in a dedicated thread.)

If the above elements are met in the affirmative, then it will be likely that the news story should be in the main area. If after having regard to the above elements it is very unclear as to what area the story should be posted in, then one may err on the side of the main forum.
At the moment I am of the opinion that this piece is one that should remain here in the main forum. However, should the thread continue along a path free of active discussion, I will have to move it to the sub-forum. As such, it would be great if everyone could take the time to discuss both the incident and frog's opening remarks (or those made by Snaykew and the response from Optophobia).

Optophobia

HSC
hey everyone, just a bit of a rumour (no news link), but people are saying that the murderer was the same guy who killed a 2 year old in England when he was 10 and then transported to Perth to be settled away from the UK. They let him out of prison in the UK early because he was a juvenile, brought him to Western Australia to resettle and now he's done this. I'll search for news articles.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
frog12986 said:
The most distressing part of this story for the police, and probably the judiciary, was that a sexual assault case in relation to another 8 year old female against the alleged offender, was dismissed due the inadmissibility of the admission made by this grub.
I think it's important for police officers to have a pretty detailed knowledge of the rules surrounding surrounding admissibility of confessional evidence. IF you were tought these rules you would understand why the judiciary is so very sensitive of any indication that the admission was improperly obtained (Hint: It has something to do with around 100 years of police corruption. You know when jury's in the late 70s and early 80s started to find people not guilty even though there was a police witness saying the guy confessed and a written 'record' of interview. Police corruption has even prompted sections in the Evidence Act whereby the judge must warn the jury as to the unreliability of police oral evidence).

In any case for the admission to be deemed inadmissible it must have been pretty damming or clear. I'm pretty sure every state has madatory taping regimes for the recording of admissions. IF the admission was taped then the court probably got to see the interview and it was probably pretty clear that the admission wasnt made so voluntarily or was a result of a trick or was made as a result of an act or omission by the interviewing officer which he or she knew or ought to have known would substantially affect the ability of the person to rationally respond to the questioning.

The rules are there for a very important reason. It is the police officers who are to blame for flauting those standards when they are well aware that they were there. Police are not THE law, they don't make it, it isnt there job to provide their own interpretation of it. Police have a duty not to let society down by not playing by the rules which are clearly highlighted for them.

From you post it seems that the admission was ruled out on s 138 of the Evidence Act, in particular s 138(2)(a). It is hard to assess whether the ruling of the court was correct or not. We don't have the detailed facts.

Last edited:

banco55

HSC
secret said:
Yea, some strong opinions in here... I'll tell you what. If he is sentenced to prison, the filthy fucking cunt won't last long anyway. Once someone in the prison finds out of his crime, inmates will cut his throat.

Not that I like to see peoples throat cut, but i'll make an exception with this situation.
I think he'll be put into protective custody but it would be good if he was put in general population.

Optophobia

HSC
Optophobia said:
hey everyone, just a bit of a rumour (no news link), but people are saying that the murderer was the same guy who killed a 2 year old in England when he was 10 and then transported to Perth to be settled away from the UK. They let him out of prison in the UK early because he was a juvenile, brought him to Western Australia to resettle and now he's done this. I'll search for news articles.
They said on the news that this claim is false.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
wheredanton said:
I think it's important for police officers to have a pretty detailed knowledge of the rules surrounding surrounding admissibility of confessional evidence. IF you were tought these rules you would understand why the judiciary is so very sensitive of any indication that the admission was improperly obtained (Hint: It has something to do with around 100 years of police corruption. You know when jury's in the late 70s and early 80s started to find people not guilty even though there was a police witness saying the guy confessed and a written 'record' of interview. Police corruption has even prompted sections in the Evidence Act whereby the judge must warn the jury as to the unreliability of police oral evidence).

In any case for the admission to be deemed inadmissible it must have been pretty damming or clear. I'm pretty sure every state has madatory taping regimes for the recording of admissions. IF the admission was taped then the court probably got to see the interview and it was probably pretty clear that the admission wasnt made so voluntarily or was a result of a trick or was made as a result of an act or omission by the interviewing officer which he or she knew or ought to have known would substantially affect the ability of the person to rationally respond to the questioning.

The rules are there for a very important reason. It is the police officers who are to blame for flauting those standards when they are well aware that they were there. Police are not THE law, they don't make it, it isnt there job to provide their own interpretation of it. Police have a duty not to let society down by not playing by the rules which are clearly highlighted for them.

From you post it seems that the admission was ruled out on s 138 of the Evidence Act, in particular s 138(2)(a). It is hard to assess whether the ruling of the court was correct or not. We don't have the detailed facts.
How did your litigation exam go? ;)

(And did you do the search warrant question in Part 2, or the entrapment question?)

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
How did your litigation exam go? ;)

(And did you do the search warrant question in Part 2, or the entrapment question?)
Search warrant. Weird exam. I just know my wordy 14 pages she wont like. She didn't like the way I wrote my midsession so she probably won't like the way I wrote the final.

I'm just glad the most overassessed session of law is over. Looking forward to electrives next session, a better timetable and one less law subject to deal with.

Optophobia

HSC
wheredanton said:

Yes :)

And he was released :)

And now another girl is dead :)

This is where the legal system is wrong. If a police officer does something wrong, he should be individually held accountable, it should NOT, under any circumstances, affect the trial in a way which lets the criminal off.

This scenario:

A man is in possession of 1 KG of heroin. He is searched by the police, who arrest him and fail to comply with the requirements of section 201 of LEPRA, and the evidence act provisions. Because of this, he is let off.

Simple yes or no answer.. WAS he, in possession of 1 KG of Heroin?

I don't care what the police officer did or didn't do.. WAS HE IN POSSESSION OF 1 KG OF HEROIN?

It's this stepping closer and closer towards the fucked up American legal system "read him his Miranda rights" crap, that is making Australian justice more shitter than it originally was.

Who gives a fuck about this scum bags rights.... DID HE RAPE THE GIRL?

I hate scum bags who think we should observe the rights of criminals who have not observed the rights of their victims.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Optophobia said:
Yes :)

And he was released :)

And now another girl is dead :)
It's on thew heads of the police officers who knowing the standards, which everyone knows are there for a very important reason, decided to flaunt them. Police are not entitled to take the law into their own hands and forget about the rule of law.

oct said:
This is where the legal system is wrong. If a police officer does something wrong, he should be individually held accountable, it should NOT, under any circumstances, affect the trial in a way which lets the criminal off.
The police officer is conducting the investigation on behalf of the state. It is not his personal investigation. As a result if he stuffs up the state stuffs up. It's the states investigation.

If the police officer bashes the crap out of someone or threatends to kill the accused persons loved one and the accused, as a result, makes an admission the admission should not be admitted should it now? The admission is not a real one, it is involuntary etc etc. Are you somehow suggesting that if this were the case the evidence of the admission should be admitted and the police officer be reprimanded? That's hardly fair or proper. It would cause police to become a 'law unto themselves' whereby a person is guilty because the police officer says they are (ie see 80 years of police verballing). Total and utter disrespect for the rule of law.

Interviews and the inducement of admissions by police is not personal, it is on behalf of the state. The police officer, when conducting the interview, is doing so as an instrument of the state.

A man is in possession of 1 KG of heroin. He is searched by the police, who arrest him and fail to comply with the requirements of section 201 of LEPRA, and the evidence act provisions. Because of this, he is let off.
That a bit of a massive oversimplification.

A Breach of s 201 of the LEPR Act doesn't automatically mean he is 'let off'. What do they teach you in your policing degree? If you fail to explain to the guy why you arrested him under 201 it comes back to a s 138 Evidence Act discretion whereby the court will only reject the evidence if the desirability of accepting the evidence outweighs the desirability of admitting the evidence. This determined by matters of public policy. Pretty much the court has to weigh up the public interest of the conviction of those who commit offences and the public interest in ensuring that the Criminal Justice System and the police respect individual rights and the rule of law. It is seriously unlikely that a judge would consider that the public interest of ensuring that police officers identify themselves under s 201 outweighs the public interest of convicting those of drugs offences.

Optophobia said:
I hate scum bags who think we should observe the rights of criminals who have not observed the rights of their victims.
the admissibility of confessional of other evidence has nothing to do with the rights of criminals. It is about the maintenance of a Criminal Justice System and a police force that respects the rule of law. When police start to flaunt the law or the regulations put in place by the legisature police become no worse than the criminals which they are chasing.

The problem is when police officers who think THEY ARE THE LAW decide that the flauting of regulations or laws put into place for very good reasons to enforce their own subjective interpretation of justice. A police officer has no right to choose to flaunt regulations or laws in the persuit of his or her personal conception of what the law should be. Officers who have this mindset risk prosecution cases due to their unimformed blundering and a lack of understanding as to their role in the Criminal Justice Process.

Optophobia said:

Simple yes or no answer.. WAS he, in possession of 1 KG of Heroin?

I don't care what the police officer did or didn't do.. WAS HE IN POSSESSION OF 1 KG OF HEROIN?

It's this stepping closer and closer towards the fucked up American legal system "read him his Miranda rights" crap, that is making Australian justice more shitter than it originally was.

Who gives a fuck about this scum bags rights.... DID HE RAPE THE GIRL?

None of those questions should enter your mind. A police officer doesn't judge a persons guilt. A police officers role is to investigate and gather evidence for the prosecution. The only thing a police officer has to decide is whether there are reasonable grounds to suspect under s 99 so that he or she can be arrested. At no stage should a police officers conduct be influenced by his or her subjective belief as to whether a person is guilty or not.

gerhard said:
Optophobia you idiot, they dont just let people automatically off if a police officer does something wrong, they just dont count that piece of evidence. And if that piece of evidence is the one that tipped the balance to 'no reasonable doubt', then he may get released.
It's not even automatically inadmissible. It goes back to the courts discretion whether to admit it or not. An generally a court will admit evidence of a finding of drugs if the only police impropriety is failing to do something insignificant under s 201.

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Optophobia said:
The question then becomes at what is stopping the police from entering your house without warrant? The law must be followed, by those who enforce it most of all. While there are obvious sympathies, peoples right to privacy and their own rights need to be respected, otherwise you are going for a system where people are presumed guilty from the start.

gerhard

HSC
Optophobia you idiot, they dont just let people automatically off if a police officer does something wrong, they just dont count that piece of evidence. And if that piece of evidence is the one that tipped the balance to 'no reasonable doubt', then he may get released.

Optophobia

HSC
gerhard said:
So a 19 year old female, who is on her first day of the job, attends the scene of a murder. There, she finds a women with half her head blown off, with blood and gray matter everywhere. The most violent thing she has seen before in her life is a grazed knee when she fell over when she was 10.

In the shock of the moment, she arrests a man next to the body who is holding a pump action shot gun, forgetting, understandably, her requirements under section 201 of LEPRA (in exercising her power to arrest she must notify the person of the reason, the fact that he is under arrest, her name and office, station etc) and that he "is not obliged to say or do anything, but anything he does say or do will be taken down and used in evidence against him". However because of the obviously gory scene, she is overwhelmed and forgets.

The arrest at this point, is unlawful because she hasn't met the common law or statutory requirements. She isn't not caring about this because she has just seen a person with half their head missing and the man standing their with the shot gun.

Other police arrive at the scene. They assume that she has done the right thing, after all she has been taught it all before at university. They take him to the station. Everything past the moment she detained him is inadmissable.

They interview him, he admits to the murder, etc. They put him on trial. It all falls through because she forgot and the other police assumed. Due to double jeopardy he cannot be re-tried, and no other evidence can be presented.

He gets away with murder, because the poor little criminals rights have supposedly been abused by the police officer in her failure to meet the requirements.

:burn: Fuck that for a joke, he should be incarcerated. There is the "desirability" clause of the evidence act, which means the judge could admit the evidence even if it was improperly or illegally obtain evidence, but lets assume that the judge didn't think it desirable.
wheredanton said:
It's on thew heads of the police officers who knowing the standards, which everyone knows are there for a very important reason, decided to flaunt them. Police are not entitled to take the law into their own hands and forget about the rule of law.

The police officer is conducting the investigation on behalf of the state. It is not his personal investigation. As a result if he stuffs up the state stuffs up. It's the states investigation.

If the police officer bashes the crap out of someone or threatends to kill the accused persons loved one and the accused, as a result, makes an admission the admission should not be admitted should it now? The admission is not a real one, it is involuntary etc etc. Are you somehow suggesting that if this were the case the evidence of the admission should be admitted and the police officer be reprimanded? That's hardly fair or proper. It would cause police to become a 'law unto themselves' whereby a person is guilty because the police officer says they are (ie see 80 years of police verballing). Total and utter disrespect for the rule of law.

Interviews and the inducement of admissions by police is not personal, it is on behalf of the state. The police officer, when conducting the interview, is doing so as an instrument of the state.

That a bit of a massive oversimplification.

A Breach of s 201 of the LEPR Act doesn't automatically mean he is 'let off'. What do they teach you in your policing degree? If you fail to explain to the guy why you arrested him under 201 it comes back to a s 138 Evidence Act discretion whereby the court will only reject the evidence if the desirability of accepting the evidence outweighs the desirability of admitting the evidence. This determined by matters of public policy. Pretty much the court has to weigh up the public interest of the conviction of those who commit offences and the public interest in ensuring that the Criminal Justice System and the police respect individual rights and the rule of law. It is seriously unlikely that a judge would consider that the public interest of ensuring that police officers identify themselves under s 201 outweighs the public interest of convicting those of drugs offences.

the admissibility of confessional of other evidence has nothing to do with the rights of criminals. It is about the maintenance of a Criminal Justice System and a police force that respects the rule of law. When police start to flaunt the law or the regulations put in place by the legisature police become no worse than the criminals which they are chasing.

The problem is when police officers who think THEY ARE THE LAW decide that the flauting of regulations or laws put into place for very good reasons to enforce their own subjective interpretation of justice. A police officer has no right to choose to flaunt regulations or laws in the persuit of his or her personal conception of what the law should be. Officers who have this mindset risk prosecution cases due to their unimformed blundering and a lack of understanding as to their role in the Criminal Justice Process.

None of those questions should enter your mind. A police officer doesn't judge a persons guilt. A police officers role is to investigate and gather evidence for the prosecution. The only thing a police officer has to decide is whether there are reasonable grounds to suspect under s 99 so that he or she can be arrested. At no stage should a police officers conduct be influenced by his or her subjective belief as to whether a person is guilty or not.

It's not even automatically inadmissible. It goes back to the courts discretion whether to admit it or not. An generally a court will admit evidence of a finding of drugs if the only police impropriety is failing to do something insignificant under s 201.

You can galavant on all you want, saying what should and shouldn't happen. Did he rape the girl?

We are seeing the fruits of respecting the rights of the criminals (yes, the rights of criminals, because thats what they are. You can't merely deflect it away by saying that its the maintainence of the CJS) by this very scenario.

>> If you fail to explain to the guy why you arrested him under 201 it comes back to a s 138 Evidence Act discretion whereby the court will only reject the evidence if the desirability of accepting the evidence outweighs the desirability of admitting the evidence
In exercising any power under LEPRA, he must state the needed information. The use of the power is invalid if the requirements of 201 aren't met. Therefore the arrest is invalid under LEPRA. Therefore he is unlawfully in detention, and he would probably not only get off on murder, but would be able to sue the police.

(yes, it gets worse).

Last edited:

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Optophobia said:
We are seeing the fruits of respecting the rights of the criminals by this very scenario.
It would help, in your future role as a police officer, if you had the slightest clue as to your obligations and role within the criminal justice so that you don't make the mistake of ignoring the rule of law and forcing a court to reject your evidence.

It would also help if you didn't misrepresent the actual state of the law.

Optophobia said:
In exercising any power under LEPRA, he must state the needed information. The use of the power is invalid if the requirements of 201 aren't met. Therefore the arrest is invalid under LEPRA. Therefore he is unlawfully in detention, and he would probably not only get off on murder, but would be able to sue the police.
(yes, it gets worse).
I think you need to go back and have a revise of the law surrounding inadmissibility of evidence. Whoever has been feeding you all that is wrong.

You seem to think all police improprieties suddenly result all evidence as being inadmissible. It all comes back to s 138 and the Bunning v Cross discretion and sections 84, 85 of the Evidence Act.

---------------------------
In any case you seem to forget the whole innocent until proven guilty thing.

Optophobia said:

(yes, it gets worse).
Whether he is a murderer or not is not your concern as a police officer. Do you get that or not? Your role as a police officer doesn't extent to the determination of guilt beyond reasonable doubt. That is left to the court. All you have to decide is whether you can arrest on reasonable suspicion. When you arrest someone they are not 'murderers' all you have at that point is reasonable suspicion that the person is a murderer (there is a very very very very very large gap between resonable suspicion and beyond reasonable doubt) on which you can arrest and detain that person. You banging on about 'is he a murderer or not' simply indicates you don't understand your role in the CJS, like all those corrupt cops in the NSW police force during the mid 80s.

If you as a police officer act with the idea in mind that the person is guilty you are usurping the the role of the judiciary making you the sole arbiter of guilt and innocence. NOT YOUR ROLE IN THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM.

IF you want a a system that has no respect for the rule of law and no procedural regulations you might as well start lobbying for sharial law.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)