99+ Chem, Phys, Maths, Eco tutoring for lower north shore (1 Viewer)

turnerz

HSC
Hi, my name is Andrew Turner. I recently graduated from Sydney Grammar School in 2007 with a UAI of 99.3 and recieved the Premier's Award for All-round excellence. I am currently in my first year of medicine at UNSW.

Subjects:

Physics:
I achieved 93 in the HSC for physics.
Physics is a subject that requires a solid understanding of the concepts to gain strong marks but to gain exceptional marks you have to learn how to adapt your answers to the specific phrasing of the questions and the subsequent marking scheme. I can help all levels of physics students achieve their potential.

Chemistry:
96 (97 exam mark)
Chemistry is structured very similarly to physics, yet requires slightly different skills in order to gain top marks. I can teach you these skills so you can excel in this science.

Maths:
I got 92 for 4 unit maths and 95 for 3 unit.
I have experience tutoring multiples levels of mathematics and would be willing to tutor anyone up to 3 unit level (I believe 4 unit maths requires a university trained tutor to truly be effective) to elleviate timing issues or slight problems with understanding.

Economics:
I recieved 90 overall in the HSC (93 assessment mark, the HSC economics exam was last in the timetable and unfortunately it was difficult to find motivation in those final weeks).
Economics is a subject in which the concepts can be relatively easy to grasp, if taught correctly. I can teach you these concepts and help those students who already have a firm understanding to gain full marks in the first two sections of the exam and very high marks in the essays.

I was offered and accepted a position to tutor year 12 students at my old school, Sydney Grammar. I am also privately tutoring school students of varying years.
I am very happy to teach year 11 or year 12 students.

I live in Neutral Bay and would be happy to teach around the lower north shore (especially North Sydney area). My email is andyturner12@hotmail.com so just give me a shout.

Thanks,
Andrew

Last edited:

DaGizza

HSC
Awesome tutor. He is non-Asian and can also tutor in Italiano.

dp624

HSC
since when is nationality a factor
=O
lol

bored.of.u

HSC
dp624 said:
since when is nationality a factor
=O
lol
LOL moar advertising but i rekon andrew would be a good tutor from looking at his HSC marks

DaGizza

HSC
Lol I was trying to do a legit bump so had to write something. Sorry if I offended any Asians!!! I'm Indian in fact so yeah. BUT I would still only recommend tutors that have lived in Australia or another English-speaking country for most of their lives because communication is very important. Even if both the tutor and student can speak another language, eg. French or Chinese, it is not good to talk in your native language. A lot of international uni students mistakingly do this also. What happens is that they screw up their exams because you need to write/talk in English. Their English may be good but because they learnt it in another language their marks will be f***ed.

dp624

HSC
o_O ok, well i wasn't born here
and i did pretty darn well. lulz. i'm sure a lot of ESL people do darn well

and did you know "asian" is generally stereotyped as "east asian" and often excludes "indians"? something i've randomly picked up.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
I have to agree with what you have pointed out. Whenever a person introduces a friend to be of an "asian background" most people usually think Chinese/Japanese/Korean heritage. Indians/Sri Lankans/Pakistanis all seem to be considered part of another group of asians. I guess it's become a normal thing of present-day society.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
Sydney grammar has an all exclusive private tutoring services for their students??

It should be free for them or alot cheaper considering they already pay hefty school fees lol

OP, congratz on ur uai!

DaGizza

HSC
Ah this is a very interesting topic and differs across the world. In Australia and USA, "Asian" refers to East Asian and maybe S.E. Asian at times. In Britain however, "Asian" always refers to people of subcontinental origin, probably because there are very few Chinese/Korean/Japanese etc. migrants in the UK. East Asians are called "Orientals." You can ask a Pom for proof.

And yes, there are many people who are not born here who do well in HSC or even just came to Australia just a few years ago. But there are two fundamental skills that tutors need: 1) Have good communication skills 2) Communicate in English.

I don't know how old you are, but in uni you would find that international students often talk in their language not just about generaly things but also when studying. A lot of lecturers discourage that because eg. If you are doing a Medicine/Engineering/Law/Commerce/Science exam, you need to write to English but if you are studying it in another language you will screw up.

I hope this doesn't across as racist. I still want people from all cultures to speak in their own language but not when studying for exams.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)