A discovery I made last year-a must read for those who do bio with chem (2 Viewers)

FLYHAWK14

HSC
N/A
Last year I found that I could apply my chem knowledge to bio, this made it easier for me and helped me kill two birds with one stone

Chem dot point/concept: Biopolymers- If I'm not mistaken genes of A. Eutrophus are placed into E. Coli, allowing for faster production of Biopol right? If so, this is an example of a transgenic species, a major topic you have to do in bio

Chem dot point/concept: In MAB, you may come across the reaction of:

CO2+H2O<=>H2CO3, use your knowledge of the equlibrium reaction to explain how an increased conc of Carbon dioxide is bad for the body ie creates an acidic environment(see above reaction) and it denatures enzymes.

Chem dot point/concept: explain the use of acids as food additives, by adding acid to food you create an environment not suitable for pathogens as their enzymes denature causing the pathogens to die

Chem dot point/concept: buffers--> for talk about how the buffers prevent a change in pH, thus saving enzymes. This can be linked to the adaptive advantage of haemoglobin, as it is involved

Chem dot point/concept: Water treatment---> this was already discovered. If this comes up in bio, WRITE YOUR REACTIONS AND EXPLAIN THEM

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Last year I found that I could apply my chem knowledge to bio, this made it easier for me and helped me kill two birds with one stone

Chem dot point/concept: Biopolymers- If I'm not mistaken genes of A. Eutrophus are placed into E. Coli, allowing for faster production of Biopol right? If so, this is an example of a transgenic species, a major topic you have to do in bio

Chem dot point/concept: In MAB, you may come across the reaction of:

CO2+H2O<=>H2CO3, use your knowledge of the equlibrium reaction to explain how an increased conc of Carbon dioxide is bad for the body ie creates an acidic environment(see above reaction) and it denatures enzymes.

Chem dot point/concept: explain the use of acids as food additives, by adding acid to food you create an environment not suitable for pathogens as their enzymes denature causing the pathogens to die

Chem dot point/concept: buffers--> for talk about how the buffers prevent a change in pH, thus saving enzymes. This can be linked to the adaptive advantage of haemoglobin, as it is involved

Chem dot point/concept: Water treatment---> this was already discovered. If this comes up in bio, WRITE YOUR REACTIONS AND EXPLAIN THEM
lol, thats less than 0.1% of the course.

Makes no difference whatsoever, the dot points are different and ask for different things (chem and bio)

FLYHAWK14

HSC
N/A
lol, thats less than 0.1% of the course.

Makes no difference whatsoever, the dot points are different and ask for different things (chem and bio)
but they use the same knowledge

LordPc

HSC
yea, you can transfer knowledge over from bio to chem. you could probably do it more so if you did biochemistry in both bio and chem as the option topics.

but as Omium said, it will only overlap very little. perhaps a few marks in an exam but that would be it

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Physics also overlaps a bit with Chem, especially for the Nuclear stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)