a K symbol appearing randomly on calculator?? (1 Viewer)

ze_dragon

I have a Sharp EL-531VH (the transparent blue) calculator, and every so often, i will press 'equals' and my calculation will be subtracted by or multiplied by a symbol K (looks like |K)...its not as though i accidentally press any buttons either, its seems to happen a lot, its goddamn annoying, i reset the calculator, and it still happens, randomly popping into my equations (mostly when i enter single line fractions so it can simplify them), does this happen for anybody else? can anybody tell me what it is or how to stop it from happening?? i try other peoples calculators and it does it too and i think it will reealy get on my nerves in the exam

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
According to this, the K means you are working with some constants in the calculations. Thats as far as i can gather from that, I'm not too familiar with that calculator.

ze_dragon

ah i see now, thanks acmilan, it only happens when i dont clear the calculator before doing something decimal or fractional... for example, if you pressed

2 + 2 = it would display 4, then if u pressed 3 + 3 = without clearing it would just go on and do a new calculation

however if you put a decimal in after

such as 2 + 2 = resulting in a four, then going on to putting a fraction in for simplification (which assumes is a carry on from the previous equation) it will add the constant 4 to the fraction... lol...makes me realise how dumb i was in the past, and lazy for not clearing the memory first :S

thanks again acmilan

nik1178

HSC
N/A
My CASIO one does the same thing, however, it uses the easy to understand 'Ans'.
The K constant is not the same as ANS. Sharp calculators also have the variables ANS. K is the result of a component in the previous equation, not the whole answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)