A little assignement help, please?! (1 Viewer)

Cataclysm

HSC
Looking for a good related text for my assignment. I want something that's contrastingly different to The Skull Beneath the Skin in nearly every aspect, except for its genre (ha!). I was thinking about NCIS as a serious in general, or even Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events in general, since I've already read them all and I've never used them before, even thought they aren't contrastingly different... But that's why I need your help!

Also, I'm looking for a good visual representation. I've already got a picture of Murder on the Orient Express, and I seem to think that Crime Fiction Novel Illustrations are a good start, so if anyone has any others, that would be very much appreciated..

Freckles14

HSC
That is incredibly scary. I'm also doing Skull Beneath the Skin and am planning to do the exact supplementary texts as you :|

They sound pretty good - then again you can really use any crime fiction thing as long as you can argue it. NCIS is pretty different and I would say the Lemony Snickets are too since it's children as "detectives", the ever-unhelpful Mr Poe being the foil like the police are in Golden Age, Count Olaf as your typical villain, etc etc. Or at least that's how I was going to do it. :)

I also need some visuals, but haven't found anything good enough yet. I'll keep an eye out - if I find something good, I'll let you know.

Good luck with the assignment!

walshjr

Crowded Isolation
HSC
Because Skull beneath the skin is bordering on Goldern age in that the crime takes place with in a closed area with in an upper or wealthier class I would suggest a differect style such as police procedural (things like NCIS and CSI fit in there) or postmodern. YOu could also chose a text that tells the crime from a different perspective like in Lambs to the slaughetr by Roald Dahl or even Sorry worng number (a 1948 film with Barbara Stanwick) both of which tell of a crim but from a verry different perspective. YOu could also do a saterical text like the one found on the following link Coyote V. Acme
You would have to be careful with this one though as technically it isn't a criminal matter it is civil but it still is sort of crime and unless your teacher also teachers LEgal studies I doubt that they will notice mine didn't anyway. Haha.

Hope that this isn't to late. Good luck and let me know what you think of my suggestions

0hNivlek

HSC
Thanks for the info XD!

Skull Beneath The Skin is incredibly boring >___>'.

adidasyeah

HSC
For my related texts, i chose Alfred Hitchcock's film 'Psycho' and John Webster's play 'Dutchess of Malfi'. so, you should check them out if you want

--Liam--

HSC
Hey champ. I'm doing skull as well...pretty boring...but anyway. I used Series of Unfortunate events in an Advanced Essay, went really well. I know its not crime writing but there's a vein of stuff to be exploited there. As far as anything comparative goes you could try something Hardboiled to contrast your cosy genre? Maybe the Big Sleep? Yer so..hope it helps, let me know if you found it useful.
Peace

alexandraclaire

HSC
hey i am also studying skull, which i find dull, but the other related texts i am using for ext are "shatter" by Michael Robotham which is a contemporary crime and subverts the Golden Age, and "the life and crimes of Harry Lavender" which is hardboiled and breaks down the female detective sterotype etc.
have fun!

jonno220891

HSC
Hey guys,
I just received an assignment on Anil's Ghost. I have to create a visual rep. in a made up exhibition called variations on crime: an exploration of genre;
  • extends and reimagines the conventions of the crime genre
  • creatively reowrks the elements of the crime genre through the form and features of narrative
  • explores contextual ideas and values
Now my mine problem is that I suck at visual reps and at the moment i have no idea what to make. So I was wondering if anyone has an opinion or good idea on what to make. I really need help, as I need to get good marks as i stuffed up my last exam! Hope to hear from someone soon :)</SPAN>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)