• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

A little Frontline help, PLEASE?? (1 Viewer)

dani

I know theres quite a few threads on Frontline but I'm really clueless here. Can someone PLEASE tell me HOW we are meant to analyse these episodes (I'm doing 'The Siege', i think), what kind of techniques should be used and how, and what the hell my bimbo teacher is talking about 'telling the truth'? I don't have any notes on this topic, nor do I have any idea what to do for my assessment:

"Create a pamphlet which conveys a clear, powerful message to your target audience. The pamphlet will
a) Expose the techniques used by current affairs shows
b) Explain why a more fair, honest and unbiased presentation is important
c) Urge members of the viewing public to support and agitate for change."

I'm meant to be a 'disgruntled member of Frontline', deciding to tell the truth and expose to the public the techniques used by current affairs shows to manipulate the response of the audience AND *takes breath* relate it to another text.. I was thinking of using Josie and the Pussycats. All this in 400 words. :(

Sorry for the long message guys, I'm kinda desperate at the moment (for help lol). Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you..
Dani :)

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
only 400 words? thats harsh.
ok, well, when u say a 'disgruntled frontline member', do u actually have 2 say who u r and write it specifically from that person's point of view? coz if u do, the obvious one 2 do would be emma. if thats not the case, id still pick someone 2 model it on, even if u stay anonymous.
one of the aims of frontline is to expose shoddy techniques - they show the unethical nature of commercial news in the program through the current affairs techniques - these are the ones u need 2 talk about - an example is Brooke's interview with Mrs Forbes, the way she lies 2 her 2 make her think that she's signing the exclusivity clause 2 protect her, rather than them; the whole battery thing and the 'could u cry again' thing - revealing their lack of emotional involvement, false emotions etc. another good example is when the police r telling the journos at the siege site that someone has got through 2 the farmhouse and they dont know who but they're holding up police negotiations - the bit where Marty's yellin at one of the other TV crews about how he knows its them and how disgusting and immoral etc their behaviour is, then he shows a complete turn around when he finds out its frontline - shows lack of etchics, obsession with ratings etc. also consider the interview between Forbes and Mike himself - especially in the light of what the police commissioner said.
anyway, i hoped thats been a little helpful. it seems like ive writtena ,ot, but i havent really - email me (bored_yet@hotmail.com) if u want any notes etc. it shouldnt be too hard an assessment - getting it down 2 400 words has got 2 be the hardest bit!
good luck :D

dani

Awww thanks sooo much, especially for the quick reply. No I dont have to be a specific character, its kinda different.. My assessment sheet says:

"Imagine that you are a disgruntled member of the staff of a current affairs program, Frontline. You have decided to tell the truth and expose the public to techniques used by current affairs shows to manipulate the response of the audience.
Your aim is not just to inform people but also to encourage them to seek a more fair, honest and impartial presentation of current affairs. Your pamphlet must be accessible to as many people as possible."

It's not hard a hard assessment at all, its just that I have a shit teacher that decided to go to Paris with a gay friend a month before our trials, and all she's done is given us a wheelbarrow of photocopies and shown us the episodes. :mad:

Typing with acrylic nails is hard. :(

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
that really sucks about ur teacher - i should know, my maths teacher's done the same thing for every assessment we've had since the start of yr 11, she says it isnt deliberate, but i dunno...anyway, it sux, but im sure youll do fine with ur assessment.
good luck! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)