• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

A locus question (1 Viewer)

Thalandir

HSC
Hey guys, I'm new to this site and I'm really sorry if this is the wrong place for this question.

I'm in Yr11 and right now we're studying Locus and the Parabola, and I've been finding it rather easy (I'm coming first in our class by miles) but I've reached this question and I'm not quite sure what to do. I take it that the solution is simple and that I'm going to hit myself over the head when someone points it out to me :p.

Question is: Find the equation of the locus of a point that moves so that its distance from the line 3x + 4y + 5 = 0 is always 4 units.

I know straight away that the locus is going to be a pair of parallel lines running along either side of 3x + 4y + 5 = 0, and that both will be 4 units away from that line, and that both will have the same gradient as 3x + 4y + 5 = 0, but I'm lost as to where to go from here. I checked the answer in the back to see if I could reverse-engineer it, but I'm honestly lost, anyone and all help would be greatly appreciated :).

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong place.

~Thal

untouchablecuz

HSC
thanks

i use microsoft office 07, it has an equation editor that has everything :eek:

then i screen shot it, and paste it on paint

LaTeX is way too fiddly for me

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
LaTeX gets annoying because I just can't figure out how to use it very fast...

Easy and good solve though :) I must say I really dislike locus problems though.

2gapple

HSC
回复: A locus question

Hey guys, I'm new to this site and I'm really sorry if this is the wrong place for this question.

I'm in Yr11 and right now we're studying Locus and the Parabola, and I've been finding it rather easy (I'm coming first in our class by miles) but I've reached this question and I'm not quite sure what to do. I take it that the solution is simple and that I'm going to hit myself over the head when someone points it out to me :p.

Question is: Find the equation of the locus of a point that moves so that its distance from the line 3x + 4y + 5 = 0 is always 4 units.

I know straight away that the locus is going to be a pair of parallel lines running along either side of 3x + 4y + 5 = 0, and that both will be 4 units away from that line, and that both will have the same gradient as 3x + 4y + 5 = 0, but I'm lost as to where to go from here. I checked the answer in the back to see if I could reverse-engineer it, but I'm honestly lost, anyone and all help would be greatly appreciated :).

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong place.

~Thal
do you know this formula :d={Ax+By+C}/root(A^2+b^2) note :{} indicated absolutely value so you can get it easy
substitute it into the formula i.e: 3x+4y+25=0 and 3x+4y-15=0

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)