A message for class of 2005/6 (1 Viewer)

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
I am posting my piece of mind here for you to read and absorb if you wish. Speaking from experience (class of 2004), I am offering you some advice that you can take or leave as you please and also PM me about if you want ask more questions.

Majors
Ok so it is important here that you dont choose to many subjects with majors in them. I had 4 majors and had a hard time trying to cope and I got really stressed out and my depression returned. Dont let this discourage you however, if you like staying up till the wee ours of the morning and you can live off 4hrs sleep each day and you like flat out working youre arse off, then go for it. Four majors was really hard for me to manage and I saw many of my friends crumble as well, I lost my social life, I couldn't go out anywhere. Then again if thats your kind of thing and you want to focus on your studies then go for it, but I still dont reccomend it because chances are, you'll burn out.

Stress
Stress is a major issue that you will all face. Now I could tell you 'til I'm blue in the face not to stress out, because in the end the HSC is not the be all to end all (believe me it isnt... you may doubt this, and I did as well when I heard it but now, looking back, it isnt).But you will stress out. This is the time to stop what you are doing, put it down and go watch tv or read or something.

If you stress out, you'll get less doen and wont be able to perform as well... I perform better when In stressed, yes its true for a lot of people, but when it gets too much to handle dont try to weight it out. Also a little bit of excercise helps to stimulate your mind... so even if you just go for a 20min jog, its well worth it. I thought I couldnt afford to give up 20mins of my time... but you can!

Burn Out
Ok this relates to the stress and workload topic above. Too much stress and too much of a workload will burn you out... and it WILL...Im sure youve all thear the saying "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy". This is true, I turned so dull towards the end of the year... I was burnt out and I couldnt do it anymore, I just couldn't.. this was 3 weeks till the actual HSC and only that all of my teachers sat me down and made me do no work at school all day I was able to get through it... but I was still burnt out and hence didnt do well in the exams.

Time Management/Balance
Also a very important thing. Plan your time.... work rest and yes PLAY!!!

Work- Dont leave your work until the last minute, get ontop of it as soon as you can.. if you know youve got that party to go to on Saturday, then make sure you finish it on Friday night (chances are you'll be too hung over to finish it on Sunday). The same goes with dont just work work work.. the mind cant handle it

Rest- Sleep is your best friend. Make sure you get at least 6-8 hrs of sleep each day. Because a well rested mind and body means you are ready to tackle anything that comes your way today. Also when you sleep, dont think about school work, youll stress in your sleep and wont be able to sleep... when your head hits that pillow, assignments, homework and the HSC DONT exist, forget them... Rest also falls under relaxation... relax... chill...seriously... do somethign you like.. Im my case it was writting music/songs.

Play- Go out and do things even if its for an hour, you CAN afford it, its only an hour. Otherwise youll becomoe a hermit like I did.. youll just sit there...absorbed in math or ancient history.. you become BORING!!! and your mind cant handle it. But rememer.. dont play too much or no work will get done.

Aiming for your UAI
I knwo people say you can achieve anythign you set your mind to... yes this is true but you also have to be realistic. Aim high, but not too high.. who knows, you may even surprise yourself :). I dissapointed myself cos I aimed too high, waaay too high and it almost broke me inside.

Not getting the UAI you need
IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!!!! I didnt get the UAI that I needed to get the course I want. But you know what I did? I handed in portfolios and resumes and arranged for interviews with Universities... I missed the mark by 5 UAI points... but guess what.. I got in. They also look at your exam marks individually during these interviews, so if you get good exam marks and a shit UAI as I did.. Its not the end.

There are also other ways into Uni.. do a TAFE course, generally that will get you in the next year. You can also do a STAT test which will help increase your UAI points.

In the end it didnt end up mattering whether I got into Uni or not, I got offered a spot at this great college (better than uni) which I also tried out for.. so not only did I get what I wanted, and had worked my butt of for 2 years to get.. I got something better :).

Dreams Come True... But only to those who chase them
Dreams do come true, but they dont just land in your lap, you have to fight for it.. and fight and fight and fight untill you turn into a pineapple or something... When you dont get it the first time, keep trying to get in other ways, there are always back doors. And no matter what... keep your chin up :)

> Smile and the word Smiles with you...Fart and you stand alone

> When the world thinks your stupid, the best thing you can do is prove the bastards wrong

magician

HSC
Flipsyde- that could almost be me speaking. I only did 2 majors (started out with 3) but I got SO stressed during Year 12. Anyone in class of 2005/6 believe me, IT IS NOT WORTH IT. As Flipsyde said, it is NOT the be all and end all. And aiming for a UAI too high, I did that and therefore ended up disappointing myself even though I did quite well anyway- aim high, but not TOO high.

If your stress levels are too high, (I know I've said this on another thread but I really believe it is important) ACT ON THEM. DO something constructive- talk to someone, do meditation. It really helps!!!

And believe me, sleep and rest are both your friends- get PLENTY of both as well as studying!

Last thing, enjoy this/these last year/s! And good luck to you all!

Last edited:

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
also soem great advice.. hes right u know.. Enjoy it... really it can be fun :)

And TALK to someone.. get help if you need it... people wont reject/judge you

magician

HSC
I'm a she! :p

But yeah, talk to someone- THEY WILL LISTEN. And always remember, there have been Year 12 students to go through with the HSC before you, AND THEY SURVIVED IT!!!!

(Trust me, I'm one of them!!!!!)

magician

HSC
It's okay - lol- I probably should add that in on my profile!!!!!

santaslayer

HSC
ehhh...yr 10 and majors?...are we talking about electives here or am i getting too old and the syllabus (wording) has changed?

magician

HSC
No, year 11-12. And by majors, we mean Ext English, Ext Maths, Ext 2 English etc. Any of the extension subjects. I did Ext English and Ext Maths. I also did just over a term of Ext 2 Maths at the beginning of Year 12, but my stress levels got too high, so I dropped it. :)

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
also good for yr 10 to think about subjects they choose and to manage their time...yr 10 can still be stressful

magician

HSC
True.

To year 10 and any one else for that matter: I have already said some things in relation to this issue but I really can't emphasize strongly enough the importance of recognising when your stress levels are too high and more importantly still, actually DOING something about it. If you can deal with it before you get to Year 11, you will be doing well!!! All I can say is, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE listen to us- THIS IS AN IMPORTANT ISSUE. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)