• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

A question about a laptop (1 Viewer)

mednerd

HSC
N/A
hello
im planning to buy a laptop whilst overseas and was wondering what things i'll have buy to make sure the laptop works in australia e.g a power supply thingy ...do u knoe how much that would cost or i could just get a pin converter rite? :/

also i think the place where im buying from says there is international warranty for ibm...so if it breaks does anyone knoe where i have to go to fix it in Sydney ( live in western suburbs)

also wat do u guys think about ibm lenovo?...i heard it has a good battery life..but is it reliable? what about acer?

also will the wireless network card work for adsl wireless modems in austr?

thanks for ur help!@#:santa:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
IBM is one of the most reputable brands in the hardware business, you'll get good build quality for sure.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
dont go for acers...theyre unreliable...lenovo is ok but i would also think about HP, toshiba and sony
what do you need the laptop for? for uni or for games? i highly recommend looking for dual core or at least centrino processors
pin converters are prettye asy to find...most likely in electrical stores
wireless card depending on where you buy your laptop should be compatible with australia's

hope that helps

Collin

HSC
N/A
Acers are generally cheapies who compare with Dell. IBM machines are generally very reliable pieces of hardware, but at a higher premium. You pay for what you get.

mednerd

HSC
N/A
thanks guys!,...also what's the difference between pentium M, pentium centrino and pentium duo core...which one is the best/crappest
also azn_gangster what do u mean by compatible with aust?...like if i buy a lenovo and it has a inbuilit wireless card would that be compatible

thanz every1

Collin

HSC
N/A
mednerd said:
thanks guys!,...also what's the difference between pentium M, pentium centrino and pentium duo core...which one is the best/crappest
Pentium M is a range of processors Intel released several years ago. The focus was on a higher performance/power consumption ratio compared to the likes of Intel's Pentium IV range. Such resulted in very efficient processors which did not require a high clock speed.

Centrino is a platform-marketing initiative from Intel. A laptop is defined to boast 'Centrino' if it has a certain processor, motherboard chipset and wireless adaptor. The current platform is the Napa: Core or Core 2 Duo processor + Intel 945 Express chipset + PRO/Wireless 3945ABG mini-PCIe Wi-Fi adapter. The 4th generation Centrino, codenamed 'Santa Rosa' is scheduled for release early next year and it's features are geared very much towards Windows Vista.

There is no such thing as 'Pentium Duo Core' - you must mean Core Duo. Core Duo and Core 2 Duo are dual-core Intel processors. The Core 2 Duo processors are currently one of the best laptop processors you can get. Chances are you will get a Core 2 Duo or a Core Duo, as Pentium Ms are discontinued. You may also look into AMD Turion X2 processors - they are laptop dual-core processors which compete with Core/Core 2 Duo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)