• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

A Retreat to remember (1 Viewer)

Sabbo

HSC
Well I came back from my Year 12 Retreat yesterday. Beforehand our teachers told us that according to what they have heard, students named the Year 12 Retreat their most memorable school event and in my case (and I guess the other people on our Retreat) this is certainly true.

It was around 7:30, just a couple of minutes before we were due back. We had a break from Activities (the teacher was preparing the VCR for our next session, which didn’t work). I was in our dorm sitting about two beds away from mine talking to two of my friends (my bed was right in the corner of the room). One of the guys was kicking the ball to the other as hard as he could so he could head butt it (even though our teachers told us not to play ball games in the dorms)! Anyway, my friend says, how funny would it be if he kicks the ball into that pipe and it explodes with water, literally 5 seconds later, he kicks the ball as hard as he can, hits this PVC pipe and snaps it in half, water is POURING out, going all over the floor (and onto my bed to which was the one closest to it).

What happened was that they had hit the main pipe (around 5-7cm in diameter) of the emergency fire sprinkling system for the entire upstairs level (this was exposed in the corner where my bed was from floor to ceiling).

So water is just gashing out of there right onto my bed and sleeping bag. It took me about two seconds to grasp the situation. I run over to my bed, rip my sleeping bed of it and grab my bag (which through some miracle is virtually dry). Now the Fire alarm goes off (because of the drop in water pressure I guess) and everyone is heading for the exit carrying what they can.

In the mean time water continues to rush out of the pipe running across the floor, it was only second before the whole dorm was half covered, this dorm is quite large holding about 30 or more single beds and side cabinets.

The teachers who were downstairs preparing, come running up thinking there is a fire; because of the fire alarm. They tell us to evacuate to the main room and leave our stuff here, of course we didn’t want to so we explained quickly what was happening and they let us downstairs with our bags.

After a couple minutes they finally get the sprinkler system switched off but at this time, the water has reached almost 3cm high and has started to seep through the floor, dripping into the activity hall below our dorm as if it was raining inside.

So after everyone is evacuated from the upper level (which happens to be 5 stories high) people got sent off to get all the stuff left upstairs and sweep the hall which continues to get drenched in water.

We ended up getting moved into another dorm. The teachers actually took this quite "cool" as they agreed it was an accident and didn’t want to leave the guys responsible, feeling miserable whilst on retreat. I reckon the school insurance will pay for the damage caused.

I still can't believe this happened. It was like a scene out of a movie; quite memorable indeed. Oh and no one got hurt.

Last edited:

alby

cool duckie
HSC
hehehehehheheheh sounds like a great retreat......shame noone got hurt tho..oh well...still got to set off the fire alarm & have rain inside!!!! lol
sadness that mine wasnt that interesting :( oh well...it wasnt THAT bad either tho....meh

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
on ours a guy broke a bed. at another retreat 9we had four separate ones for the year group) a guy got semi electricuted

HSC
yeah, our retreat was GREAT fun with many memories..one person got K.Oed and went to hospital (not from a fight though- he was fooling around with one of his friends and slipped somehow and knocked his head on the concrete)
and another got 2 stitches from banging his head on the shelf just above his bed..derr..:0
only down point was the food...like any other camp food.

chepas

HSC
HAHA! Niice happenings...

We don't get Year 12 camps/retreats/etc's but until about two years ago on our schools music camp, there was this on-site baker that made the worlds BEST meat pies, chocolate eclairs, pastry stuff, sticky buns, jam donuts in the WORLD... they were niiice, but last year we learn that the baker guy retired!!!! Nooo, so we went from personally baked stuff, to crappy old Sara Lee chocolate cake, which is still good, but it's no freshly baked chocolate eclair! I have memories of my guys' cabin bringing back trayloads of stuff to the dorms... fun.

Reflecting on it, we were lucky - this year's camp food brought the most of us food poisoning! Hurrah for camp food.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
yeah wasting water is sooo cool

we don't get a year 12 retreat : ( all we got was yr 11 sex camp and it was shit. it's really sad that our best camp was yr 9/ 10 (depending on who you ask... i saw year 10 bc i got to go ice skating whilst drunk :p)

Aerials

your member for ulladulla
HSC
Originally posted by ToO LaZy ^*
yeah, our retreat was GREAT fun with many memories..one person got K.Oed and went to hospital (not from a fight though- he was fooling around with one of his friends and slipped somehow and knocked his head on the concrete)
and another got 2 stitches from banging his head on the shelf just above his bed..derr..:0
only down point was the food...like any other camp food.
ahahah classy. in our retreat some guy pulled out his shoulder while playing... get this... volleyball. haha I still remember his face, he nearly fainted. *sigh* memories

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)