• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

A very important question!!!!!!!!!!! waiting on an urgent reply.... (1 Viewer)

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
has anyone written and submitted a novel for their major work.... not really a very long novel but like 150 pages... which is obviously not a short story either....

if so... how did the markers reply.... did they reward u with good marks?..
and could they simply reject ur work.. and send it back unmarked?.. or would they simply minus marks?...

and what if ur story is just so superb... but the only problem is that its way over the word limit?.....

HSC
N/A
Haven't done it but would strongly suggest against doing it. There's a word limit for a good reason. It's a SHORT STORY section, aside from the fact the markers don't have the time/probably don't particularly want to sift through 150 pages. Novels, novellas and epics belong in a different section.

And yes, they definately will take away marks.

I do understand some of your pain though. I'm not a short story writer myself either and it was a pain in the butt having to do a short story... but remember, you can always save your writing for Uni, or for a book in the works (which I would imagine many EE2 students are doing). As it is your work, feel free to write a short story based on it to submit - one of my friends did something like that (and he did pretty damn well too!)

Abbeygale

HSC
I don't know exactly how they would react.
But if I was a marker and someone did that, I'd read the first 8000 words and grade on that. Of course, it would score very badly, as the first 8000 words wouldn't have a conclusion and unfinished works go in the lowest marking range.
But that's just me.

However, I'm pretty sure you get marked down pretty severely for not following the syllabus, also.

J

jhakka

There is no 10% leeway in the word count. For a short story you must submit a piece between 6000 and 8000 words (rather than 5400 and 8800), or marks will be deducted. Word counts are specified and markers expect them to be stuck to.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
thanks guys.... although the question was not directed at my major work.. just for the books... Its for a classmate...

but plz.. if there's anyone out there who has actually submitted in a major work.. that is way over the word limit.. could u please take the time to reply... it would be grealty appreciated

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)