AAR legal-email ouchies (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
September 06, 2005 - Radar, SMH's 'light' entertainment section, publishes this recently-made infamous legal exchange that has been doing the rounds since two allens secretaries had an email 'tussle', Radar - Cutting a legal lunch.

September 08, 2005 - the Daily Telegraph and Radar report that the secretaries have been fired by Allens for improper use of email.

----------------------------------------------
Radar said:

I’ve never hired lawyers, but I can’t imagine my decision being affected much by whether a firm’s employees massively overreacted to some lunchtime larceny, and others recognised the humour value in the email exchange. Actually, I think it would reassure me enormously that at least somebody at the firm had a sense of humour.

As well as the inevitable killjoy reminder to its staff not to send hilarious emails to each other (and you can imagine how much they must need diversion in a corporate law firm), Allens could probably invest in some media management training. Because what’s actually brought the firm into disrepute is the sacking itself – both because it makes them look mean for dumping the secretaries and not the lawyers who apparently did the actual forwarding, and because it made the story so much bigger.

If the firm had just laughed it off, stuck up for their employees and refused even to confirm whether the emails were real, surely the Tele wouldn’t have gone with an embarrassing full-page expose. But of course “Women sacked for catty email exchange” is a much bigger story than “Catty email exchange”.

All of this seems particularly ironic when Allens’ website boasts about how they’re an “employer of choice for women” who are “not only supporting their female staff, but are providing a positive and flexible environment”. Not when it comes to a bit of harmless, amusing workplace gossip.
might i add, it's a pretty quick fire, since the first email was sent on Sept 1. allens were also in some controversy a few months back over its strict 'clients first' policy.

--------------------------------------

now the email-exchange itself:
KN: Yesterday I put my lunch in the fridge on Level 22 which included a packet of ham, some cheese slices and two slices of bread which was going to be for my lunch today.

Over night it has gone missing and as I have no spare money to buy another lunch today, I would appreciate being reimbursed for it.

MB: There are items fitting your exact description in the level 23 fridge. Are you sure you didn't place your lunch in the wrong fridge yesterday?

KN: Probably best you don't reply to all next time, would be annoyed to the lawyers.

The kitchen was not doing dinner last night, so obviously someone has helped themselves to my lunch.

Really sweet of you to investigate for me!

MB: Since I used to be a float and am still on the level 19 email list I couldn't help but receive your ridiculous email - lucky me!

You use our kitchen all the time for some unknown reason and I saw the items you mentioned in the fridge so naturally thought you may have placed them in the wrong fridge.

Thanks I know I'm sweet and I only had your best interests at heart. Now as you would say, "BYE"!

KN: I'm not blonde!!!

MB: Being a brunette doesn't mean you're smart though!

KN: I definitely wouldn't trade places with you for "the world"!

MB: I wouldn't trade places with you for the world...I don't want your figure!

KN: Let's not get person "Miss Can't Keep A Boyfriend".

I am in a happy relationship, have a beautiful apartment, brand new car, high pay job...say no more!!

MB: Oh my God I'm laughing! happy relationship (you have been with so many guys - yep really happy relationship with Trevor JONES), beautiful apartment (so what), brand new car (me too), high pay job (I earn more)....say plenty more.....I have 5 guys at the moment! haha.
--------------------------------

reply from Allens:
Allens Arthur Robinson (AAR) has no comment to make on internal employment matters.

Employees have been reminded of the appropriate use of email as a result of an unfortunate email exchange last week. The email exchange serves as a salutary lesson to all organisations and individuals about the potential consequences of inappropriate use of corporate email and intranet services.

Note to Editors
AAR understands that photographic images of certain AAR employees, obtained without authority from an AAR intranet directory, may have been circulated in emails associated with these matters. Such images are the subject of AAR Copyright and publication in any form is not authorised by the firm. AAR can not confirm that such images are photographs of any person associated with the firm or involved in email exchanges between employees of the firm. Publication of any such images may infringe the privacy rights of the individuals concerned.
-------------------------------

anybody brave enough to mention this in an Allens clerkship interview? :D

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
Because what’s actually brought the firm into disrepute is the sacking itself – both because it makes them look mean for dumping the secretaries and not the lawyers who apparently did the actual forwarding, and because it made the story so much bigger.

WTF?
What ever happened to the forward'ers?

BillytheFIsh

HSC
Well the Bird woman forwarded it to her friends - she obviously saw the humorous side to it... it was from there it got out of control.

Allens are going to end up with an unfair dismissal claim (or two) methinks. Harsh, unjust or unreasonable anyone?

I couldn't see them sacking a solicitor over forwarding an email which is why I think they're in trouble for their knee-jerk

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
Got this email sent to my work, seems it has been through every law firm, finance firm, bank in Sydney and Melbourne.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
I read in the Daily Telegraph today that apparently the father of one of the secretaries is 'considering legal action'. I guess Allens is screwed, they simply don't have the resources to deal with such an action..

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
It's hilarious. I think Nugent is to blame, even though both are pretty immature.

"Let's not get person [sic]". Rofl.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
beautiful apartment (so what), brand new car (me too), high pay job (I earn more)
Hahaha zing!

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Argonaut said:
Question: how authentic is this? This article has the lunch being stored in the level 22 fridge and showing up in the 23rd. Another SMH one I read had them in the 19th and 20th, and NineMSN had the saga being played out over the 21st and 24th level fridges ...
I've noticed that on quite a few news programs. If you watch at least three, or read more than one paper, or know the facts of the case rather well (i.e. they're doing a report on the place where you work, your university or your school) you always notice factual errors or discrepancies between different sources.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/ebay-sales-so-hammy/2005/09/09/1125772683834.html said:
That ham sandwich gets more famous by the minute.

First it caused two sackings, then it was "hoffed", and now it's purportedly up for auction on eBay.

It left two Sydney law firm secretaries - Katrina Nugent and Melinda Bird - without jobs at Allens Arthur Robinson after their catty email exchange became public.

Now, after making a brief appearance in David Hassehoff's briefs in a mocked-up pictured online, a seller identified as sandwichgate2005 is trying to flog "the sandwich" for $495 on eBay.

The inflated price, the seller argues, is justified for a "piece of Sydney's legal heritage".

When smh.com.au checked the site, only one bid had been offered - $4.95.

Jano Gibson
A piece of legal history... oh dear.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
more hoaxes, this one from seek:
Legal Receptionist Positions

# Attractive Package
# A Fresh Start

We are seeking 2 legal secretaries for expanding high profile practice. Ideally you will have just left a top tier firm, and may have experience in M&A, and will be family orientated. Your highly tuned interpersonal skills, conflict resolution and ability to juggle 5 clients at once is essential.

Attractive package includes brand new car, beautiful apartment, high pay job and lunch, which includes a packet of ham, some cheese slices and two slices of bread. Ability to keep a boyfriend not essential.

CrashOveride

HSC
Soma said:
Got this email sent to my work, seems it has been through every law firm, finance firm, bank in Sydney and Melbourne.
what do you do at mb ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)