Abbreviation - Use of parm. ? (2 Viewers)

Smile12345

HSC
Hello All

Does anyone use the abbreviation parm. instead of parallelogram?

I believe this was acceptable in previous years and not sure if it still is...

I would be glad of comments/ideas in regard to this.

:):):)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
You cannot invent your own abbreviation - unless its meaning is compellingly obvious. But I have used //gram ages ago.

Smile12345

HSC
You cannot invent your own abbreviation - unless its meaning is compellingly obvious. But I have used //gram ages ago.
No, I honestly didn't invent my own abbreviation!! It was given by teacher... :) Yeah ok then, thanks for your thoughts... :)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
No, I honestly didn't invent my own abbreviation!! It was given by teacher... :) Yeah ok then, thanks for your thoughts... :)
In my view your teacher was being silly; you should use abbreviations that are widely used & accepted. In no way would I have guessed parm stands for parallelogram. Maybe he/she was writing in a hurry and did not expect anyone to adopt it; but if your teacher does, please send him/her to me for a talking-to.

Last edited:

Smile12345

HSC
In my view your teacher was being silly; you should use abbreviations that are widely used & accepted. In no way would I have guessed parm stands for parallelogram. Maybe he/she was writing in a hurry and did not expect anyone to adopt it; but if your teacher does, please send him/her to me for a talking-to.
I agree that I should use abbreviations that are widely used and accepted and don't want to use others.... Maybe they used it over 10yrs ago... ? Could this be possible? Just a thought... :)

Last edited:

braintic

HSC
N/A
Parm has been an abbreviation for parallelogram as long as I can remember. A Google search gives countless examples.

HSC
I have seen parm used.

In any case just write parallelogram...it doesn't hurt and will guarantee the marker knows you mean parallelogram..

Smile12345

HSC
Parm has been an abbreviation for parallelogram as long as I can remember. A Google search gives countless examples.
Awesome!! At least someone has seen the term, I was starting to wonder if I'd really gone up the wrong track! Yeah ok then... :):)

What words did you Google????

Last edited:

Smile12345

HSC
I have seen parm used.

In any case just write parallelogram...it doesn't hurt and will guarantee the marker knows you mean parallelogram..
Right....

Yeah I agree with you. I think I'll be safe and just write parallelogram.... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)