• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

About aligned marks (1 Viewer)

peeasoup

Hey, wait a minute. I thought that you guys have been saying that aligned marks, according to that link, have absolutely nothing to do with your UAI. And you just said that, those are the aligned marks that you put into SAM, and that are sent to you in the mail (with other averaging, scaling and stuff)...? ? ? ?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Yes, that's also true. :)

Your aligned marks have no effect on your UAI - but it's possible to approximate a UAI from them. ;)

peeasoup

Oh, I see. So, how much do marks get aligned up ? I guess its not as much as that link says..

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
OK, you do your HSC exams, and you get a raw mark. Lets use an example from the link, in 2003, a 73/105 raw was aligned to 82/100 aligned. The aligned mark appears on your HSC results, and you aren't informed of your raw marks unless you apply for them.

UAC takes your raw marks and scales them to obtain a UAI rank. I don't know what they do to the numbers....maybe St. Lazarus can help

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The actual scaling process used is rather complicated - but it is completely different to the aligning process.

We can't use the actual scaling process, because hardly anyone knows their raw marks (and not enough data is released to reproduce the scaling transformations anyway). So we try to calculate UAIs from aligned marks instead, because those are the marks that are given to all students.

Examine <a href="/other/flowchart.pdf">this flowchart</a> and imagine an arrow being drawn from the "ALIGNED HSC MARK" box to the "SCALED HSC MARK" box. SAM approximates this relationship, allowing it to calculate notional UAIs from aligned marks.

peeasoup

Ooooh ok, i understand. So your 'aligning' of marks, doesnt just have to do with that link. Its got to do with alot of other factors aswell. And you have fiddled around and made a program, SAM, to estimate UAI's of the aligned marks...
I hope this is right. If not, i wouldnt bother explaining anymore to me :p
thanks for the help anyway..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)