• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

about Fee paying and the 20% discount (2 Viewers)

fantasia

HSC
my friend told me that when you pay full fee, you dont actually get the 20% discount, rather you only get the lowered UAI. He told me that you get the discount only if you pay the HECS up front..

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Get used to reading the fine print

Think of it like this
Full Fee = University run
HECS = Government run

They both operate under different circumstances and under different rules.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
fantasia said:
my friend told me that when you pay full fee, you dont actually get the 20% discount, rather you only get the lowered UAI. He told me that you get the discount only if you pay the HECS up front..
yes, your friend is correct.

a 20% discount is only given if you pay up-front for HECS.

regardless, you will have to pay up-front for full-fee (hence the name).

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Frigid said:
yes, your friend is correct.

a 20% discount is only given if you pay up-front for HECS.

regardless, you will have to pay up-front for full-fee (hence the name).
thats why only rich bastards get in the backdoor.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
the 20% discount is only for HECS. You have the option of paying upfront, and getting 20% off, or deferring your payment till after you graduate, paying the full HECS rate.

There are no discounts for fee paying, you have to pay the full amount for each semester up front, and its a lot more expensive than HECS.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
fantasia said:
how much more expensive is full-fee as compared to HECS?
look at your UAC guide and your HECS-HELP booklet.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
fantasia said:
Check the website of the University you thought about going full fee at (research before buying), it varies but somewhere around $7,000 to $20,000 per semester depending on the mix of subjects.

Farcanell

fantasia said:
Well law, which is one of the more expensive ones, is around 18-19k a year at USYD and UNSW. Generally they're all cheaper than that... For foreign students med at UNSW costs 40k a year for the 7 year duration of the course lol.

fantasia

HSC
i just took a look at unsw website: https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/fees/Hecs.html

and for law on hecs it says $6,283, but on full fee according to the UAC guide it says it will cost around $18 000 a year. thats a difference of 12 000 each year just because you get the lowered uai of a few points.. surely that doesnt sound right.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
fantasia said:
.. surely that doesnt sound right.
Sounds pretty right to me. If you're in the top X of the population you're always welcome at a reduced price. If you're not then you are still welcome you just have to pay extra for the privilege. How much extra? Well that university considers the privilege to be around 12 grand extra.

Depending how many desperate to get in students go full fee you might find the difference being more than just a few UAI points.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Yep there are other pathways, many many pathways, some people just never research them.

It depends on the uni how many UAI they drop, obviously if they have a huge rush on fee paying spots then the difference will be small. If you want to take it to the extremes, Bond University is all fee paying and fairly easy to get into, because of their status they are quite forgiving of marks and take other things into consideration, but when you are paying through the nose why wouldn't they :)

Edit: Added link http://www.bond.edu.au/admin/fees/ugdegrees.htm

fantasia

HSC
realistically i'm quite positive about achieving a uai of 97-98 which is 1-2 points below the cut off for commerce/law at UNSW. So i dont know if the extra 12000 is worth it for these extra 2 points.

so what are the other options besides full fee that i have so that i can get into commerce/law? i'm planning to get into commerce at UNSW and then try to internally transfer into commerce/law from there. But i read in another thread where Minai said:
Minai said:
In fact, at UNSW, there's no internal transfer policy to get into higher degrees, for Commerce and Law anyway (ie, you cant internally transfer from Economics to Commerce, or from Commerce to Commerce/Law), you can only transfer "down" (ie, Commerce to Economics, they allow that)
am i doomed to not get into commerce/law?

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Well one way is to wait until you are mature age, go work for a few years, get experience and so on.

Another would be to give the transfer thing a go, start a similar degree at the uni or elsewhere and try to push your way in towards second year. You can try every semester if you like. You also need to keep your marks up high.

Then you could also decide to do a different degree and go as a post graduate student.

If you have your heart set on that course at that uni and miss out by a few marks talk to someone high up in the faculty, book yourself an appointment, tell them you may have missed out but that you have what it takes and mention what a good asset you would be to the university community at large. At best they would assist in the application process and give some discretionary concessions, at worst they would see you are keen and give you tips on how you can get in after the first semester or year as students start dropping out, like which course has similar subjects and what kind of grades to get and so on.

There are a lot of undocumented things that people can try and I will not list many of them for obvious reasons but talking to a person up high is a good bet to take when stuck in the bureaucracy.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
fantasia said:
i just took a look at unsw website: https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/fees/Hecs.html

and for law on hecs it says $6,283, but on full fee according to the UAC guide it says it will cost around $18 000 a year. thats a difference of 12 000 each year just because you get the lowered uai of a few points.. surely that doesnt sound right.
YES it IS right, even though it is unfair to people who beat the full-fee cutoff by heaps, miss the HECS cutoff and can't do law at UNSW :(

besides, remember there's gonna be a 25% increase in HECS next year, making law about $8k p.a.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
fantasia said:
realistically i'm quite positive about achieving a uai of 97-98 which is 1-2 points below the cut off for commerce/law at UNSW. So i dont know if the extra 12000 is worth it for these extra 2 points.

so what are the other options besides full fee that i have so that i can get into commerce/law? i'm planning to get into commerce at UNSW and then try to internally transfer into commerce/law from there. But i read in another thread where Minai said:

am i doomed to not get into commerce/law?
A) get the friggin 99.35+ or whatever.

B) get 97-98ish and go to UTS and do law. then external transfer.

C) get 96ish, do B.Com at UNSW and then external transfer to B.Com/LLB at UNSW.

Law only has external transfers, as I said in another thread.

Personally, I can't afford the $12k per year difference, especially up-front.

Farcanell

Well, think of it this way. With a UAI of 97-98 if you keep that up throughout uni you'll easily make it into graduate law, and while that takes an extra year to complete, financially you'll end up ahead as there's no way not being able to work for an extra year will cost anywhere near as much as the $60,000 for full fee entry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)