about the 6 month Probation period (1 Viewer)

Bored.Of.Life

HSC
anyone else still in their probation period? I work as a casual associate at Big W and was wondering how hard/easy is it to successfully pass the probation period without getting fired or left with 0 shifts in the end? so do the managers examine your work and behaviour very closely at every shift? i despertately want to keep this job for more than a year at the least. :hammer:

P

pLuvia

I doubt it lol. And anyway you probabation is actually 3 months, you get a pay rise after 3 months not 6 months

Bored.Of.Life

HSC
pLuvia said:
I doubt it lol. And anyway you probabation is actually 3 months, you get a pay rise after 3 months not 6 months
:eek: hmm but the email says otherwise:

"Probationary Period
All employees commence their employment at BIG W with a six month probationary period. During this period your manager will conduct three performance assessments that will assist you in acquiring the skills required to successfully perform your role. The assessment will also cover attitude and conduct, attendance and personal presentation."

how likely is it for someone to fail their probation period? :confused:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
under WorkChoices probabation has to be 6 months, it's the law (or thats what i'm lead to believe, woolies definately has 6 month probation now - DOES NOBODY BOTHER TO READ THE NEW AWARDS WHEN THEY COME OUT!!)

however, the SDA negotiated that a payrise would occur at 3 months as per the old system

as for how easy it is, unless u fuck up royally, they will probably keep you, it actually costs quite a lot of money to hire/fire staff, so they prefer to keep them if possible

HSC
I'm on probation at Woolies too. Just do your job well, don't slack off and be punctual. You should be fine then.

jannny

HSC
Last shit the manager had a quicky convo with me about how I am performing. I was on target except for,

1) That I am not aware of my area that well and dont ask lots of q's to my line manager when I don't understand something.
2) I do not oftenly finish my area
3) I do not call in whenever I cant go to my shift

3 was a joke though, since I always call in everytime i cant go to my shift.. It's just the manager always forgets, since most of the time I call in during the weekday.

I currently get paid 13.20 for an 18 year old, you serious we get pay rise after 3 months?

P

pLuvia

That should have been the pay rise you would have got. 18 y/os get 13.20

jannny

HSC
ah ok, well I started getting paid at that rate since I started working.

Pluvia, how did your first "performance evaluation" go?

Bored.Of.Life

HSC
jannny said:
Last shit the manager had a quicky convo with me about how I am performing. I was on target except for,

1) That I am not aware of my area that well and dont ask lots of q's to my line manager when I don't understand something.
2) I do not oftenly finish my area
3) I do not call in whenever I cant go to my shift
I don't finish my area on time either, while all the not-so-new employees finish all their work half an hour earlier! but i hope the managers can understand that it's mainly cos I'm relatively new. I do need to speed up a little i admit :hammer:

question for recovery:
do yo guys first clean up your area and put your returns back where they belong, or do you guys first front-face all the stock and put everything in order, AND THEN take care of your returns?? how to you all manage to finish your area on time? advice needed :mad1:

P

pLuvia

jannny said:
ah ok, well I started getting paid at that rate since I started working.

Pluvia, how did your first "performance evaluation" go?
Performance evaluation? I know I am suppose to have some checkout training this week but I can't go

jannny

HSC
Bored.Of.Life said:
question for recovery:
do yo guys first clean up your area and put your returns back where they belong, or do you guys first front-face all the stock and put everything in order, AND THEN take care of your returns?? how to you all manage to finish your area on time? advice needed :mad1:
I get all my returns from the customer desk in a trolley then start doing my presentation of stocks. While I do my presentation, If i see something in my trolley of returns that is located near me, I just quickly put it in there.

But mostly I do presentation then returns.

CieL

HSC
katietheskatie said:
uh, if you don't pass a probationary period for working at big w ..
.. you're massively retarded

michael1990

HSC
Just make sure you work hard and continue to work hard.
Don't make them want to fire you instead of Bob.

Work hard and you will be rewarded.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
michael1990 said:
Just make sure you work hard and continue to work hard.
Don't make them want to fire you instead of Bob.

Work hard and you will be rewarded.
Thanks im sure nobody would have thought of that.

Great input.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)