• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

about Y11 (1 Viewer)

mathsabuser

HSC
Hi I'm a year 10 currently and I've chosen my subjects for y11 pretty recently
ext1 maths, ext1 english, physics, business, legal

I play a lot of sports, in y10 I can balance my workload pretty easily, but not sure how it is going to be in y11.

I am curious how hard the workload is going to be next year as y10 seems too chill and as teachers make it seem as though studying is going to be crazy time-consuming, and if you have any study tips on the given subjects, pls lmk. Thanks.

hafsah_

HSC
Hi I'm a year 10 currently and I've chosen my subjects for y11 pretty recently
ext1 maths, ext1 english, physics, business, legal

I play a lot of sports, in y10 I can balance my workload pretty easily, but not sure how it is going to be in y11.

I am curious how hard the workload is going to be next year as y10 seems too chill and as teachers make it seem as though studying is going to be crazy time-consuming, and if you have any study tips on the given subjects, pls lmk. Thanks.
Heyy, I do Eng Adv and Business Studies currently and did Math Adv (y11) so I have some advice here and there for these subjects. Idk much about physics and legal though so I hope someone else helps out with that.

Math Adv + Ext1:
For math adv, I'd say that if you're scoring above 88% in Y10 5.3 Maths, you should be fine and maybe even for ext1 Math. I'd say push yourself to the Prelim content from now, especially since y10 content is pretty much covered before or is easy to grasp, because adv starts off easy but gets a bit hard because there isn't much revision content but rather new concepts, so you having a rough idea of the content beforehand will make it stick better when you go over it in class.

To do this, go through the syllabus slowly and watch videos from 'Eddie Woo', 'YNOT Maths', and 'Organic Chemistry Tutor' on YT and try to understand these concepts; I think all three of them have their own websites if I'm not wrong, so try checking them out too. You could do this every day you do an easy topic in your y10 maths right now so it's not a burden. For e.g., if you went over trig ratios (sin, cos, tan) in class today, and considering you've done it in y9 too, you could go home and do the hw for that but also go a bit ahead and do the first exercise of y11 content, if that makes sense?

The thing is, my teacher would combine 2 exercises a day which made me fall behind in hw severely which led to bad results and my decision to drop; so to avoid this, do your hw and push for the extension questions even if they're not assigned - teachers pick up on this, especially if they check your hw, and are proud of your effort to do better.

Eng Adv:
For eng adv, the best thing is to read your books before you read them with the class, research the context, characters and their relationships, and look through the rubric statements for each module and annotate them. For the rubric, you can find the explanation of each module's rubric on 'Matrix Education' and for the analysis of the texts, you can find it here, AceHSC, and even on JSTOR, if your school supports that. I don't do ext1 eng and my school doesn't offer it so idk much about it to give feedback or advice on it.

Business Studies:
Business is one of my fav. subjects because it is easy, but that doesn't mean there isn't a lot of content. The concepts are easy to grasp, despite there being a lot of content, and you could honestly get a band 6 without a teacher. In Year 12, you'll have to do an essay and a report in the HSC, so from year 11, it'll be a good habit to write some here and there and submit for feedback, and in Year 12, to write them more consistently to improve faster, considering you had a head start in comparison to your peers (if they aren't doing the same). Also, acronyms will be your best friend when memorising the syllabus, with spaced repetition to retain it.

This all may sound so overwhelming, considering I basically wrote you an essay on three out of the five subjects, but take it easy and slow. Doing little bits here and there as you progress through the years will turn out better than doing a bunch just before your Prelims or the HSC because you will be less stressed but simultaneously have the necessary skills to sit these exams.

I hope this helped out and I wish you the best!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)