Academic Advice - Law Lawyers & Society, Law Lawyers & Justice (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
for those having done LLS or LLJ, what did you think of the course? the reason i ask is because UNSW law fac released a new advanced standing tablehttp://www.law.unsw.edu.au/future_s...D_STANDING_COURSES_AT_OTHER_NSW_UNIS_2006.pdf, and now i potentially can claim exemption from LLS by a subject, "Business Law and Ethicshttp://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/subjects/79203.html" i did at UTS.

the course structure of the latter is similar to other business-law courses: a superficial overview of torts, contract and TPA. at UTS, the lecturer decided to bung in 2 classes of 'ethics' at the end. it does not satisfactorily cover the content of LLS.

however, i do know that the UTS structure (with its inbuilt PLT) does cover professional conduct and ethics at a later stagehttp://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/subjects/75416.html.

so my dilemma is this: claim the exemption, study professional conduct later at PLT, race through my law degree or not claim the exemption and do LLS?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Re: Law Lawyers & Society, Law Lawyers & Justice

Frigid said:
for those having done LLS or LLJ, what did you think of the course? the reason i ask is because UNSW law fac released a new advanced standing tablehttp://www.law.unsw.edu.au/future_s...D_STANDING_COURSES_AT_OTHER_NSW_UNIS_2006.pdf, and now i potentially can claim exemption from LLS by a subject, "Business Law and Ethicshttp://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/subjects/79203.html" i did at UTS.

the course structure of the latter is similar to other business-law courses: a superficial overview of torts, contract and TPA. at UTS, the lecturer decided to bung in 2 classes of 'ethics' at the end. it does not satisfactorily cover the content of LLS.

however, i do know that the UTS structure (with its inbuilt PLT) does cover professional conduct and ethics at a later stagehttp://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/subjects/75416.html.

so my dilemma is this: claim the exemption, study professional conduct later at PLT, race through my law degree or not claim the exemption and do LLS?
I found the ANU equivalent to be rather useless. We learnt about a few theories concering equitable access to justice, discrimination towards certain groups, barriers to achieving justice, legal aid and problems concerning the correct applications of the barrister's and solicitor's rules. We also had to "roleplay" to learn some other "skills" (which I'd assume would be similar to what the med people are doing) regarding interviewing, handling difficult clients etc. I think that that may be unique to ANU and Monash. Our final assessment consisted of a problem question where we had to apply these rules to a hypothetical situation and two essays on topics like access to justice, the professional ideal (firms, pro-bono work etc).

I only found the stuff on the barristers and solictors rules to be remotely interesting, the rest consisted of the same old "xyz minority group is unable to achieve proper justice because of xyz social expectation". You could probably learn everything that I learnt by finding a good textbook and downloading a copy of the two sets of rules.

If there's a research paper you may enjoy it, I'm not sure which way your preferences swing in that regard.

Then again, I have an attitude where if it's not an interesting essay topic, and if it can't be examined in a problem question, I probably won't be interested :p. Fortunately for me ANU loves to put problem questions in subjects that aren't black letter (foundations and ethics). Yay me.

However, if it's a later year course at UNSW I'd imagine that it'd go alot deeper than ethics at ANU which was a first year course.

Last edited:

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC

I loved LLJ. :) It was by far the most enjoyable course I have done in my law degree. (Not my best scoring, though; bloody 84 - why not give me an extra point? Bastards.) But I was a notable exception - I had a fantastic class and instructress and we really delved deep into the subject. No-one I have met from any other class enjoyed the course.

BillytheFIsh

HSC

Claim the exemption and spend a couple of days going through the notes yourself and maybe go to a few of the lectures. If you've got the motivation to do it yourself (which you would) you'll get the same out of it and not have to do the assessment.

maka

HSC

Frigid, if I were in your scenario, I'd claim the exemption. As they are recognised as being equivalent to each other even despite the differences you offer, it would be of little merit to learn the same stuff again. Theres also the cost and time you waste by repeating it as well as the hours you need to put into the subject.

I think a good idea could be to access lecture notes if possible and use them to fill in the blanks ie where ethics arent taught as much. A few lectures to sit in on could be interesting but if you killed BLE and get exemption be happy with it.

Let us know what you decide

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A

because i'm doing law for fun, i'm probly not gonna claim the exemption.

i'll take up LLS next term, see how it goes for the first four weeks. if it is truly unbearable, drop the subject before HECS census date and claim the exemption :D

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC

Personally I believe the unsw LLS subject needs a restructure. It's a bit all over the place and could be easier to learn if the subject was organised better.

I'd prefer it if the social justice theory stuff was less so mixed into the solicitors and barristes rules. Yes I know some of them go hand in hand but it just felt that we were forever jumping from one part of the text book to the reading kit to the other.

That being said the reason why I probbaly didn't find the course too good was being I was sick for a fair part of it, so I opinions will probably vary between students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)